StarCraft® II

Marine's Combat Suits

When you look down at the marines when you play starcraft, they seem pretty small. They seem weak and expendable, to me, at least.

But the marines' suits, if you scale things down a bit, like watch a close up or compare it to a real human, are pretty big, and seem like they'd provide quite a bit of protection.

A suit like that, that provides artificial strength, life support, stim packs, and all the other things needed for a marine suit would seem like it'd cost a lot. That is unless in the future they found a way how to cheaply create these suits, somehow.

To me, it just seems like they're small and not very powerful compared to the other aliens, and it'd take lots of money to create these suits, where hundreds get wasted every day almost.

But anyway, do you guys think that marine suits could be made eventually. Suits that could be made easily and economically? I read this article on this exoskeleton that gave people artificial strength through hydrolics, and it reminded me of the marines.
Reply Quote
I imagine they could be created someday on an assembly line just like the luxury vehicles you see everywhere. It would cost too much at first, but if they became popular I'm sure someone would find a way to make it economical.
Reply Quote
could i see some articles for that?
Reply Quote
yea it is...suits like the sc2 marines/ ironman suit/ and the suits from GI-Joe Movie intrigue me very much...it is all very interesting
Reply Quote
The US millitary has been working on what is called an exo-skeleton, this functions by robotic sensors detect the intended movement of a limb and then exicute that movement. it functions fairly well and increaces the carying capacity for a infanrty trooper like the marine, these suits will be covered in metal plates and sheilds to protect the "driver" and it looks like it will function the same way as marine suits do in starcraft's lore.

link to video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO0xNI3xpmE
Reply Quote
Yeah those were the ones I read about. Pretty cool stuff.
Reply Quote
Well there are already several power suits around they're working on so maybe...?
Reply Quote
working is a slim deffinition of exo suits for one they need external power, two there too slow, three it would be easier to make a tracked vehicle with robotic arms thats just bigger than a person in which a person can fit

and as to the topic of carbon nano tubes they have about 100 times the tensile strenght of steel so if you made a fabric out of it it could stop artilery shell like kevlar does bb guns
Reply Quote
Exoskeletons are not fully efficient untill they can tap into the very neural network that drives our muscles. At that point, it acts less like a removable suit and more like an extention ot the human body itself.

If you look at Tychus Findlay in the very first cinematic of the game, you see he is covered with metalic implants that seem to penetrate his skin. They must be connected to his nervous system, sort of a USB port that allows his suit to interface with his brain. Because of those ports, the suit becomes removable, but the implants remain, unlike having the suit permanently embedded into your nerves.

Protoss have the cybernetics to do it too. That is why zealots can run so fast (cybernetic leg enhancements), and why stalkers are so nimble. Cybernetics will lag behind the body unless they are attached to the brain. Otherwise, the tiny millisecond it takes for the implant to "guess" the stalker's next move will severely impair his ability to act.

So when it comes to building exoskeletons, use your head!
Edited by EugeneTwo on 6/4/2012 7:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Read the Starship Troopers book. It explains exactly how to eliminate the lag time. Also, there is already a lag time between when you think 'move my leg' and when your muscles move.
Reply Quote
Creating these huge suits is completely unnecessary. Our infantry is being upgraded less and less because the military deems that spending money on robotics, vehicles, and drones will be the best way to get an effective future military. Engineer and I discussed this in previous treads and came up with the conclusion that really only light suits will probably made (my guess is to protect the soldiers during robotic maintenance rather than actual combat).

I'm thinking these suits will be more like Dead Space suits in that they're tailored for more engineering purposes than combat.

Drones outmatch humans in nearly all aspects from things including but not excluded to: maneuverability, cost, efficiency, operation time, lack of emotion, better protection, and less worry (no human is dying).

CAN this suit be made in the future economically? He'll yeah

WILL it happen? Hell no, why waste money on something like that even if its cheap, your just risking human lives.
Reply Quote
^Ditto.

Just a note, this is regarding suits. Now cyborgs (and/or species alterations), that's a different and wider topic entirely.
Edited by Engineer on 2/21/2014 11:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/21/2014 11:33 PMPosted by Engineer
^Ditto.

Just a note, this is regarding suits. Now cyborgs (and/or species alterations), that's a different and wider topic entirely.

That would be cool, i imagine cyborgs as a human with all the abilities of a human acting and thinking at robotic speeds, that would be simply amazing, although I wouldn't get over the possible look of the abomination and the idea of a cyborg would bring up HUGE controversy within all of humanity. People may get really pissed off at the idea of mutilating the human body so much if people are getting all up and arms over something like abortion.
Reply Quote
True, especially if you read the Terran overview in the SC1 manual. The UED 'purged' all cyborgs shortly before the expedition (aka crash) to the Koprulu sector.
Reply Quote
Just going to comment on here: The idea of a drone being cost-efficient is incorrect. The drone doesn't need a salary, but a proper predator drone costs the outfitting price of a platoon.
As for marine suits?
In the way marine suits are portrayed... probably not.
But if there was the capacity to make a suit immune to small arms fire?
You could !@#$%^- well bet it'd be made. Infantry are necessary at the moment, despite all of our other advances, due to remaining the only truly efficient way to get full occupation and coverage of territory. The mobility of an armed soldier within urban areas and etc. remains outmatched.
the idea that literally every current small arms fire could be deflected by a suit of armor? That is more than enough for them to go off of.
Depends on cost, but the terrans are very good with quickly and efficiently making tech off of raw minerals found in the field, so that helps it.
Reply Quote
10/15/2014 07:29 PMPosted by AgentAAA
Just going to comment on here: The idea of a drone being cost-efficient is incorrect. The drone doesn't need a salary, but a proper predator drone costs the outfitting price of a platoon.

Drones are cheaper.

A common reaper is about 12 million dollars and lasts for decades.

Soldiers/pilots receive government pensions for life and undergo extremely expensive training, outfitting, and if injured, EXTREMELY expensive operations FOR LIFE WITH HIGH CHANCES OF TAKING MEDICATIONS FOR LIFE.

Instead of beating around the bush and saying drones cost more than the OUTFITTING of a platoon try making the argument that a drone costs more than THE PLATOON.
Reply Quote
10/15/2014 07:29 PMPosted by AgentAAA
the idea that literally every current small arms fire could be deflected by a suit of armor? That is more than enough for them to go off of.

It would be cheaper to create an extremely powerful gun than to make an extremely durable suit IMO.

Hence why the military is opting out of making sci fi suits like these.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]