StarCraft® II

end-times scenario

Have any of you seen the movie I Am Legend with Will Smith...If so what do you think the likelyhood of something like this ever happening? This does not necessarily have to happen on a global scale, perhaps more on a city or nation wide scale...
Reply Quote
A zombie-esque virus is probably the least likely of all doomsday scenarios. It's such an inefficient form of transmition, I highly doubt it could ever reach epidemic, let alone pandemic, scale.
Reply Quote
not necesarrily the zombie part but something that would affect a citys population thru a man-altrered virus...altering our DNA to make us something other than what we are
Reply Quote
Viruses already do this- naturally, and artificially through gene therapies. It seems reasonable to assume though that by the time we have the capability to create "I Am legend" type viruses, we'd also have the capability to destroy them.
Reply Quote
i see thanks for explaining that
Reply Quote
in order to destroy a disease you have to be able to innoculate the people who are not sick with it while quarintaining those who already have it. It would probably be really hard to quarintine zombies (who are actively trying to eat people) so i wouldn't bet on us being able to stop the virus if it went beyond a localized small population. That being said we might be able to create a virus that re-humanizes infected people (if we had the technology to create such a complex virus as to zombify people), however factors like mass hysteria (it would be a really big deal if zombies attacked) and things like how the virus causes zombification are important. If the virus create zombies by killing of certain parts of the brain then turning people back would be impossible, however many people would still demand a cure. Basically it depends on how fast the smart people in the world could solve the problem vs. how fast the stupid people will panic and be stupid. Also in "I am legend" the virus was created by accident, so basically we didn't have the tech to create such a virus and we merely stumbled upon it by chance. If that happened we would be screwed. Of course if the zombies melt in the sun that is a whole new variable . . .
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]