StarCraft® II

StarCraft Art of War – MULEs

(Locked)

Community Manager
This week, we’re analyzing:

MULES – They are integral to keeping the terran war machine well funded, but they come at the cost of potentially crucial Scanner Sweeps and even Supply Drops. How do you efficiently get the most out of MULES?

Strategy, tactics, and skill. At the heart of StarCraft II are the legion of skilled tacticians and brilliant strategists leading armies of zerg, protoss, and terrans to war across the scarred battlefields of the Koprulu Sector. Knowledge is power; the greatest commanders throughout history earned their victories not merely by virtue of strategic brilliance, but also by applying themselves to rigorous study of warfare and the tactics used by those who fought before them. You too can tap into this valuable resource, and that’s where StarCraft Art of War comes in.

Are you a veteran player? Are you new to StarCraft II and striving to improve your skills? In this weekly feature, we invite players of all skill levels to ask questions, share their tactics, post replays, and provide advice for understanding, executing and defeating today’s most popular strategies.

Don’t forget to up-vote forum posts that you find on-topic and helpful!

Art of War Rules:

• Stick to the rules. All posts should abide by the forum code of conduct and the Art of War guidelines. Feel free to disagree with each other, but please do so respectfully. When you express opposing opinions, focus on the idea, not its author, their record, or perceived skill level.
  • Be constructive. The purpose of this thread is to share effective tactics and strategies; to adapt, overcome and become a better player based on current conditions. Claiming that a unit or strategy is overpowered isn’t conducive to learning better play and tends to just derail the discussion.
  • No soapboxes, please. This thread is for the community to discuss strategies and tactics amongst themselves, not to push individual opinions about game balance or design.
  • Please limit conjecture. Theorycrafting definitely has its place, but it’s best to keep the discussion focused, on-topic and practical.
  • Important: Please provide explanations and be prepared to provide evidence. These threads exist to elevate the level of strategic discussion on the forums. When appropriate, please provide replays illustrating tactics or techniques you believe to be effective. When using videos or replays please post time stamps to help direct people to the specific points in the action in which you’re referring.
  • Ask questions! These threads aren’t just for experienced players, but also players who are learning the ropes or want to improve their skills.

When I get my Orbital, I MULE till around the 7-8 min mark to scan so I can see what the player's build is
I usually maintain MULEing? till I'm on 3 base or I see some cheesy play
From there, I scan to find the position, find expos, etc.
Edit: Love the post above me
Edited by MTE on 2/9/2012 7:29 PM PST
Community Manager
02/09/2012 07:25 PMPosted by MTE
Edit: Love the post above me

I'm going to kill it, but feel free to post a link to that outside of the Art of War thread.
Honestly this is the worst Art of War topic ever... How to get the most out of MULES is not get supplied block like the other races so you wont have to waste precious energy on a supply block and scans are only needed if you dont have a turret up yet. MULES are one of the dumber macro mechanics that blizzard came up with
Be a man and scout with a unit. Be a man and spend time to build more depots. That's how I get the most out of MULEs.
it's more cost efficient to simply send a unit like a hellion or marine to scout, instead of scanning for expos imo
Does terran really need to use scans to scout? They make the same unit composition regardless of what the opponent is doing.
Mules are the primary function of the orbital command. I usually laugh at Terran players who use their orbital energy for early scanner sweeps. You will make way more money from one mule than sending one marine to scout the enemy base. For me, scanner sweep=emergency detection. Supply Drop=emergency supply. Mules=key to a Terran economy. By end game, I try to have 3-4 extra orbitals with the sole purpose of mass mineral mining. Am I doing it right? Sure makes me rich. :)
1) Have good macro
2) never get supply blocked
3) never miss a mule calldown
4) Win game

OR

1) Have bad macro
2) Expo to gold
3) Call down a million mules worth of unspent orbital energy
4) Win game

EDIT: lol new patch says you can't abuse mules at gold. Horray!
Edited by RodYan on 2/10/2012 12:50 PM PST
Use mules on resource nodes other than your main.
I transition from a one base all-in to a two base all-in, getting MULEs whenever I remember, which is about once every 5 minutes. If that doesn't work I build a PF at the gold and 10 CCs. Then I all-in again with all my SCVs who are now useless and an endless stream of marines, produced 20 at a time using my over 9000 income from the MULEd gold.
MULES are pretty much needed in early game to keep some what equal with the other two races' macro mechanics, but sometimes it can be troublesome when terran throws down like 8 orbitals and sacs all his scvs and goes MULES only (keeping a few scvs for gas & building making of course) super late game, so that the terran play can have more room in supply for army. was this intended to be able to occur? no idea. does it work regardless? certainly.

Now, of course there are times early game that you wouldn't want to MULE, such as scouting a dark shrine or possible cloaked banshees. if you catch it early enough of course you can just throw down an engineering bay and some turrets, but scans are always nice.

(anybody ever notice you can't hit TAB on the keyboard to indent a paragraph?)
I have a feeling this topic is going to generate some of the most ignorant posts that this board has ever seen.

Does terran really need to use scans to scout? They make the same unit composition regardless of what the opponent is doing.

1) Have good macro
2) never get supply blocked
3) never miss a mule calldown
4) Win game

OR

1) Have bad macro
2) Expo to gold
3) Call down a million mules worth of unspent orbital energy
4) Win game

Derp
Community Manager
02/09/2012 07:34 PMPosted by DStein
Honestly this is the worst Art of War topic ever...

An understandable opinion. It could be argued that terrans face greater challenges managing unit production than in their macro mechanic. Still, since we've already covered Chronoboost and Inject Larva, I wanted to be even handed and give terran players the opportunity to share tips and tricks.

I will take a very dim view of players posting in this thread simply to talk about their opinion of how balanced the mechanic is.
I think this thread will get the most BM because Terrans are the only race that doesn't think MULES are OP.

I am platinum in Protoss but only low gold with Terran and bronze with Zerg. As the Terran, I don't even really notice my money going up that much. Also as Terran I don't even know what to do with all my minerals.

An understandable opinion. It could be argued that terrans face greater challenges managing unit production than in their macro mechanic. Still, since we've already covered Chronoboost and Inject Larva, I wanted to be even handed and give terran players the opportunity to share tips and tricks.

I will take a very dim view of players posting in this thread simply to talk about their opinion of how balanced the mechanic is.

I know it was the Mule's "turn" in Art of War, but I honestly feel like this has been so beaten to death and whatnot that nothing good can come of this thread.

However, whenever I offrace as Terran I try to scan and supply drop as little as possible. Them blue minerals are yummy! I like that Terran is able to choose between economy and safety. However, I don't like that Terran has the ability to calldown supply. I think that it is probably because Terran is generally what newer players fresh from the campaign default to, but I still think that it's silly.

Mules make me happy,
Scanner sweeps make me sad,
And supply drops make me mad.
Edited by Dread on 2/9/2012 7:55 PM PST
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]