StarCraft® II

Carrier will be back in 3rd expansion. why?

Its marketing.
Its money.
Its Blizzard's way of mareketing and making money.

Now, more descriptively.

Personally, I don't really care if carrier is going to be removed or not.
But, I know it will be back by the third expansion, "Legacy of the Void"

First reason is that, Carrier is the symbol and captial ship of Protoss since the first Starcraft.
Just because players rarely choose to make fleet beacon to make the carriers, doesn't mean Blizzard should just take one unit out of the game completely and replace it with another unit.
In more correct sense, it's more realistic and idealistic to keep the carrier, and add a new unit. (Since fleet beacon tech/producing carrier isn't often)

Basically, Blizzard likes to play with our heads and minds. "playing with you" / almost toying with people. It's almost disgusting if you think about it in a bigger scope.
Blizzard never officially let the players know about expected release dates of their next installment such as Diablo 3 and HoTS expansion. They like to make people anxious, desperate, and be-ready of state of mind to buy the game when it is released.
It's ugly marketing to make ugly sum of money. Blizzard should be more straight-forward with people and their customers.

The carrier will return in the third expansion, because not only I think carrier is crucial and symbolic protoss unit, but without it I feel its like leaving an empty hole in protoss basis, 'intentionally".

It's Blizzard's way to do things, they cover it up by saying it's for the better game-play and balance, but fully "on top of that", its important to realize that its their ugly way of marketing, and making money off of "You"

Realize it. WoW, and Starcraft 2 for example, anyone with decent computer can run the game pretty nicely. Look at WoW for ex. its 3d/2d graphic engine which allows/allowed many many people through-out the world to run it nicely when it was released. Starcraft 2/ Diablo 3 is the same case. It doesn't require high-end graphic cards to run it. Why? to sell more .Why? to sell more "and more". What I'm saying is, Blizzard may be the top game selling company, but I feel they don't "deserve" the title as the best game-making company. Clearly seems to me that Blizzard is pretty insane to make money than caring much about making a perfect game that everyone wants and waits. I feel they don't deserve to have this much attention anymore, when they do have the potential to make truly the awsome games.
Its shame. But anyways, I'm pretty sure Carrier will be back by the third expansion.
Edited by Genius on 2/15/2012 1:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/15/2012 01:00 AMPosted by Genius
Carrier is the symbol and captial ship of Protoss

They will be on the campaign!

And if you dont like it, just dont upgrade to HoTS!
Edited by Bruno on 2/15/2012 10:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
LotV better have Carriers, Scouts, Corsairs, Shield Batteries and Dark Archons making a return to the single player campaign.

Or else! There will be complaints! lol
Reply Quote
It's like them dropping the rating from M to T. The only reason they did it was to increase sales. Personally, I thought it was lame and that it made the game seem very childish.
Reply Quote
completly agree with jaymz
Reply Quote
I completely disagree with you Genius. No offense but I think your a pretty damn ignoral fool who knows NOTHING about the world. Selling products is a business and the product itself has nothing to do with marketing and what method the company uses to make its product into the hands of more customers. Blizzard is NOT toying with us or trying to manipulate people in ANY way by not telling us their release dates. How did you get that logic their MAIN philosophy in creating a game is to make the best polished game. With that philosophy, they finish it off with being certain. Are they certain about when they are gonna be satisfied enough to release a game? No. Because they want the best for the product it's always a possibility to push the release date unexpectedly That's not their fault at all. It's them putting effort into their work. What they are certain of is that when they do in fact release the game it's going to be polished and worth calling a game. That's exactly opposite of what you are saying that their money hungry and they will cheat for it. Blizzard is one of the few respectable gaming companies unlike activision who make modern borefare 9 the same shyt over again. I personally respect Blizzard.
Reply Quote
Oh and I highly think carriers will not come back in legacy of the void.. The main reason they were taken out in the first place because they didn't have much use. Would they actually skew the game entirely to make a place for the carrier so that their useful? And wouldn't people actually criticize blizzard for it? Blizzard knows all this bro their not DUMB.
Reply Quote
Blizzard puts out just enough to keep people wanting a little more, but enough that people won't leave. They have to work out kinks in the games, which is one of the reasons they delay release dates. By the time a game or expansion is released, they're already working on something new. They don't give the fans EVERYTHING they want, because then it would get boring. Give them just enough to satiate their appetite for a while, until they are ready to release a little more. It's like giving a thirsty person a sip of water; not enough to quench their thirst, but enough to keep them around since they know there is more to be had.

Let's not forget the slip up of Project Titan (Code name, obviously).

Blizzard and Activision merged back in 2008, so I think Spam is a little off kilter. But you also must understand, Activision allows Blizzard to act independently. And Activision has a lot they have to deal with. They bought out Vivendi Games (Half-Life 2 under Valve, F.E.A.R), they own Treyarch (most commonly known for Crack Ops I & II), Activision merging with Blizzard made them the second largest gaming company in the world, second to Nintendo.

As for the use of Carriers? They used them in WoL for the "preview" mission where the Hybrids and the Zerg swarm the last Protoss forces. Are Carriers useful? Yes. Nothing sucks more than a long drawn out game when you're bored and 20 Carriers come creeping up to your base and smash face on you (Missile Turret fail, ftl). Are they practical? No. I've never seen a serious match where a Battlecruiser or a Carrier ever was even thought of. If they take out Carriers from multiplayer, no tears shed. Take them out of the campaign? The QQing would never end. "Blizz nerfed Protoss in the campaign, now I fail and can't faceroll the universe like I did with Battlecruisers and Ultralisks!". Btw... Ghosts and Banelings were better in their respective campaigns.

And yes, this conversation is still viable since LotV hasn't even got a trailer yet.
Reply Quote
Dat Necro ninja. Explaining to necromancer: they planned on removal of carrier in HotS but left and even returned brood war style micro.
Reply Quote
Wow. Unneeded Necro much?

Yes, the Carrier will return for LotV. It may or may not be buffed in the process, but it is most likely going to stay.
Reply Quote
The carrier will be back because it's an excellent air unit. Coupled with tempests and the mothership they are a perfect air strike group. Carriers and tempests are why so many protoss players push so hard for aerial supremacy.
Reply Quote
Oh and I highly think carriers will not come back in legacy of the void.. The main reason they were taken out in the first place because they didn't have much use. Would they actually skew the game entirely to make a place for the carrier so that their useful? And wouldn't people actually criticize blizzard for it? Blizzard knows all this bro their not DUMB.

They remain the best protoss air unit, barnone. That's why terran players insisted on so much upgrade for the battlecruiser. A carrier/tempest/mothership strike group is a powerful combination. If you thought it wasn't useful that strikes me as a problem with the user, not the weapon.
Reply Quote
They remain the best protoss air unit, barnone. That's why terran players insisted on so much upgrade for the battlecruiser. A carrier/tempest/mothership strike group is a powerful combination. If you thought it wasn't useful that strikes me as a problem with the user, not the weapon.

Corrupters should help with this, corrupters paired with infestors will decimate this army.
Reply Quote
Yeah I feel it's a bit weird that they said so strongly that adding units would mean they had to remove some ... and the carrier was at the top of that list for removal even coming into HotS, along with the corruptor, and yet nothing got removed and indeed, I assume nothing will be going forward.

They were so adamant about not increasing the number of units too. It would be nice if LotV ended up with a definitive shorter list of units that would all see common use in all forms of the game.
Reply Quote
The fact HotS had multi-player units cut from the campaign makes it obvious that Blizzard's trying to keep it balanced so that all units play a part in the single-player. In WoL, Reapers, Hellions, Medivacs, Wraiths, Vultures, Diamondbacks, Firebats and Predators were all pretty useless in comparison to all other units at the player's disposal.

HotS however, they cut all the extras.

-Corruptors weren't needed, because air-to-air wars in the campaign was pretty damn weak, and if you went the Viper strand, then you pretty much had your anti-air.

-Overseers weren't needed, because there was absolutely no need for detection, the fact Blizzard refuses to let the AI use cloaking mechanics, even on Brutal mode, is just...weird.

And this includes not having it's Trasporting ability. Even in WoL, was there "really" a need for transporting other then the Moebius Mission? Not really. The same applies here for HotS, Trasporting just wasn't needed.

And who cares if the Overseer has harassment abilities, since when are those EVER useful in the campaign? Mabye they could of been used for a mission gimmick, but then they would of been no better then the mentioned WoL units where they are useful for the introduction mission...then pointless later on.

-Nydus Worms were out of the picture for one specific reason. It would of broke missions. Instead of fighting your way through a base to destroy a quest structure, you could just spawn a Nydus Worm nearby and cheese it. Not to mention it could break triggers to cut-scenes/dialogue to start in odd ways.

---

I will say though that the lack of Zerg air was pretty damn weird in my opinion regarding HotS. Don't go the Viper Strand and the only things you got for anti-air are Mutilisks, Hydralisks and Queens not counting any of the Hero Units.
Edited by Retloclive on 5/5/2013 6:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Corrupters should help with this, corrupters paired with infestors will decimate this army.

It's all about who spots and fires on the other first. In that regard a carrier/tempest strike group with a mothership shrouding them has the edge. The interceptors would spot for the tempests, and that'd make short work of the shorter ranged corrupters and infestors.
Reply Quote
05/09/2013 09:35 PMPosted by Goyathla

It's all about who spots and fires on the other first. In that regard a carrier/tempest strike group with a mothership shrouding them has the edge. The interceptors would spot for the tempests, and that'd make short work of the shorter ranged corrupters and infestors.

I dunno. Carriers are awfully weak, expensive, and long building for just spotting for Tempests. The Interceptors just die so fast to Hydras and Marines. I'm still trying to figure out a way to make it not such a hard counter.
Reply Quote

I dunno. Carriers are awfully weak, expensive, and long building for just spotting for Tempests. The Interceptors just die so fast to Hydras and Marines. I'm still trying to figure out a way to make it not such a hard counter.
In what he is saying, the carriers and tempests would be cloaked by the mship, which die pretty easily as well, but with the correct composition they could probably own. (I did get the 40 kills with one unit achievement with a mship, but that was as I was being owned by marines (teched up to fast))
Reply Quote
In My Opinion I did not understand why they used the Mother Ship in the first place, A Carrier in the place of a Mother Ship makes much more sense, Though I recognize the Star Craft 1 Carrier nostalgia appeal.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]