StarCraft® II

How to counter Thor Hellion as Zerg?

Title says it all. I played two games today, both were terran, both did this. How do i counter it?
Reply Quote
You need roaches.

Just get mass upgraded roaches, with a few banelings to kill the clumped up hellions, and kill the terran.

Remember to drone a lot!

Edit:
02/19/2012 04:16 PMPosted by Peacekeeper
Mass roach once you see hellion + thor.
Edited by Yosh on 2/19/2012 5:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
Once you know how to handle it, terran mech is surprisingly easy to crush.

You need an almost purely roach core

Heres a basic guideline to playing against terran mech as zerg

1. Their army is very immobile, abuse it by making more expos, doing drops, or harassing with burrowed infested terrans

2. Make tons of roaches, they @#*% hellions and are cost effective vs thors, the only problem you may face is siege tanks

3. Make sure you have upgrades and burrow tech+move for roaches fairly quick. Use burrow to get under the siege tanks, if you cant move yet have your roaches already burrowed on the main attack patch from his base to yours. Being extremely close to siege tanks will cause them to friendly fire negating any advantage they have over roach.

4. Get some infestors but do not use fungal growth, spam infested terrans they are more energy-effective against a mech army. (Exception is hellions, if you see a good shot take it)

5. SPREAD CREEP, and scout. You are at a huge advantage if you know exactly when he is moving out so you can be lying in ambush, often times I can absolutely crush a mech army by popping up right on his tanks mid move- almost instakilling them before they even siege up, after that the rest of the army will fall so easy, especially with burrow micro.

Tips: Get overlord speed and watch locations he could be expoing, or burrow a ling at his 3rd, 4th fairly early on.

Overlords are quite resistant to thors missiles, drops can be a very viable tactic because of this

Some good burrow micro can change the course of a battle

Sim city is important early on at your natural as mech terrans will often have far far more hellions to try to harass with than the standard marine/tank opening hellion harass, it can be easy to be overwhelmed and lose a ton of drones, especially if drops are involved. (Keep overlords along major drop paths to watch for this)

Anyways hoped that helps, even though I'm just a lowly plat player i believe my advice is sound.
Edited by sGvDaemon on 2/19/2012 6:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
I played a game a week ago where my opponent made Thor only (for whatever reason, he never scouted and I didn't even have a spire). I scouted this early and started massing roaches. I had about 65 roaches, but lost them all to his 15 Thors.
Reply Quote
First of all look at the cost of said armies.. his uses a TON more gas than yours, so your obviously doing something wrong macro wise.

15 thor = 4500 Min, 4125 Gas, 90 Pop
65 roach = 4875 Min, 1625 Gas, 130 Pop

Threw those units into a unit tester with 2/2 upgrades each and had them attack move at each other, Thors won with 8 left. I re-did the test using burrow micro properly (an essential component of this strategy) and won with 27 roaches left. I even re-did the test a third time with a raven to negate burrow micro and by simply stutter stepping into the thors so all roaches can be within attack range and it was possible to win with 8 roaches left.

If you lost this match-up then it's because you simply lack sufficient micro and macro skills, roach is still a good counter to thor.
Edited by sGvDaemon on 2/19/2012 7:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
If it's really early, mass roach.

If it's slightly delayed, add some infestors with NP. If you hate hellion thor as much as I do, dance the neuraled thors for a touch of bm.
Edited by BlackJoint on 2/19/2012 8:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
I think that roaches are a good idea, but you should also have burrow and burrow move, and speed, and some micro up your sleeve. Also, abuse the anti air (Namely the thors) are rather immobile so get a decent pack of mutas and give him a good harass now and then. Once he gets to many missile turrets for you to harras effectively, you need to add them to your main army to pick off stray hellions and to magic box thors. you can either keep making mutas once you start doing this or you can tech to brood lords. I wouldn't recommend ultras because they are destroyed by the thors. I think that the best way to use the brood lords; is to target them at say a stray hellion in front and attack the thor with some broodling micro. Defensively, I might just recommend hydras. just have a few spines/roaches to keep away the hellions and then you can take the thors down as they come up the ramp. I think that finally the infestor will be good at managing" hellions fungal can keep them in place so your roaches can hunt them down and thors will die pretty easily to some infested terrans. And finally, one of the best ways to lose assuming he's decent is not getting upgrades. Upgrades are very very very very very valuable! So please get some.
Edited by Dan on 2/19/2012 10:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
Just make lots of roaches.

Get your economy up as quickly as possible. don't get supply blocked, and don't miss injects. Try to flank him rather than attacking in a ball.

Use drop harass to force him to split his army, or punish him for not splitting it.

I go roach/ling/infestor but back it up with a mammoth economy (90 drones? as many bases as I can) and shoot for hive. Whenever you float minerals, throw down an expansion, a bunch of spine crawlers, and replace the drones. A fast-ish two base mech push should be dealt with by making mass roach, as you won't have the gas yet to commit to infestors. A few banelings to hit SCVs is valuable.

Drop roaches and lings to recycle supply and spend money while teching.
Burrow infestors one at a time and throw infested terrans on siege tanks. He will scan and kill your infestor, but as long as you kill a tank (or damage enough that you can get a kill later) the trade is even. Keeping the tank count down is incredibly helpful - one tank kill is worth a lot more than one infestor kill.
Before engaging his army, use infested terrans to waste siege shots. Fungal the hellions and SCVs, and then throw as many infested terrans as you can at his thors.

then make a ton of broodlords and queens and infestors and corruptors and end it.
Edited by Oboeman on 2/19/2012 10:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
Just make lots of roaches.

Get your economy up as quickly as possible. don't get supply blocked, and don't miss injects. Try to flank him rather than attacking in a ball.

Use drop harass to force him to split his army, or punish him for not splitting it.

I go roach/ling/infestor but back it up with a mammoth economy (90 drones? as many bases as I can) and shoot for hive. Whenever you float minerals, throw down an expansion, a bunch of spine crawlers, and replace the drones. A fast-ish two base mech push should be dealt with by making mass roach, as you won't have the gas yet to commit to infestors. A few banelings to hit SCVs is valuable.

Drop roaches and lings to recycle supply and spend money while teching.
Burrow infestors one at a time and throw infested terrans on siege tanks. He will scan and kill your infestor, but as long as you kill a tank (or damage enough that you can get a kill later) the trade is even. Keeping the tank count down is incredibly helpful - one tank kill is worth a lot more than one infestor kill.
Before engaging his army, use infested terrans to waste siege shots. Fungal the hellions and SCVs, and then throw as many infested terrans as you can at his thors.

then make a ton of broodlords and queens and infestors and corruptors and end it.

This guy knows what he's talking about, don't listen to whoever said make lings or mutas or whatever else. If you follow this you shouldn't have too hard of a time beating a mech terran
Reply Quote
roach ling baneling into infestor/broodlord.
banlings dont die very easily vs hellions since they are biological and light. engage them on creep and use the banelings to attack clumped up thors. If they are not clumped up try to snipe them up 1 by 1 with roaches.
banelings also help kill thor hellion scv allins which are difficult to hold off if you only go roach ling
double upgrade your lings.
Reply Quote
02/19/2012 06:31 PMPosted by Broodex
I played a game a week ago where my opponent made Thor only (for whatever reason, he never scouted and I didn't even have a spire). I scouted this early and started massing roaches. I had about 65 roaches, but lost them all to his 15 Thors.

lol i played against terran who turtled HARD on 2 base then eventually moved to 3 base and tried to go 3/3 thors and nothing but thors

crushed ez
Reply Quote
Against early thors, roaches and banelings. Roaches to counter everything, banelings to kill repairing SCVs.

Against late game mass thors, you need infestors. There is no way to kill a fully upgraded thor army with repairing SCVs without neural parasite or dozens of fungals. Infestors with roach support while teching to brood lords and you're golden.

Reply Quote
02/19/2012 05:07 PMPosted by StarskY
Title says it all. I played two games today, both were terran, both did this. How do i counter it?

just have a bunch of lings/banelings waiting on top of a ramp, so wen they move out for their one base cheese while theyre going up a ramp their army dissapears.. fun and rage-filled and only requires a few blings and some lings...

EDIT: i like to do this against one base al-ins with mech, just get roaches if its a macro game with infestors like evry1 lse says, it is hard imo to micro vs mech though i dunno it just is hard for me, i can win ling bling micro with much smaller army, but i just suck at microing v mech..
Edited by xNBrisingr on 2/20/2012 4:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
Blings broodlordd zergling roaches :)
Reply Quote
ultimately you want broods.

in the mean time you'll want roaches and speedlings to counterattack
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]