StarCraft® II

Mass roach.

I am a protoss gold player and I've been having issues with roaches lately, I can't really figure out why. I tech to robo, get immortals and collos up, keep up with my upgrades, im feeling pretty good, then a massive roach ball comes in and crushes me. I was having a hard time so a tweaked a 2 gate FE build a little bit and so far its worked decently. -9 pylon - 12 gateway -14 assim - 18 core -22 warp gate -27 -30 stargate -31gateway -41 nexus. The idea I had is if I see him going for some type of roach play, I can force him to react with hydras because of my air and then transition into collos because collos are really strong against roach/hydra ball if backed up correctly. I just wanted some feedback and thoughts about any other tweaks or ideas.
Reply Quote
If you want to deal with mass roach, you NEED forcefields. Their DPS when they're able to get close and clumped up or in a big arc is insane. Usually you only encounter it in the mid game, because if they go mass roach late they'll get shut down by your T3. So midgame means a lot of forcefields and some gosu blink stalker micro. Or just engage near some cannons or something goofy like that.
Reply Quote
Immortals excels against roaches, and collusi as well after the critical mass (+4.) But you can not produce them fast enough, nor you can overcommit to immortals in pvz (just get up to 4 maximum.) First wave of roaches should be repelled by cannons laid, stalkers, and good forcefields. The robo units should be supported by stalkers and sentries. They will retreat or suffer a great loss.

Wait, do you go 2 gate FE build? Forge fast expand (FFE) is pretty much standard against zerg. That will also bring you more wins (I am the witness of this.) And also, 1 tech path is afffordable for each base you have, so you have to choose 2 out of 3 after your first natural expo. Dont branch off to robo, twilight, stargate too early in the game.
Reply Quote
Most of the time 3 gate FE sometimes FFE
Reply Quote
I do a 1 gate robo in a small map situation...roaches pre-speed upgrade are pretty slow and zerg are loathe to make them when they cut be intercepted and cut-off such on large maps.

I go, 8 pylon, 12 gateway, then, 14 assimilator, 15 pylon, when gateway is up get core...then Robo and chrono out immortals.
Reply Quote
02/27/2012 09:46 PMPosted by PauseBreak
Roaches have always been an issue for me. I think tech'ing to colossus is your best bet. Immortals are much too expensive for a early to mid game unit that is worthless in the late game. Honestly, I rly think Immortals are garbage units for the most part. They have like a certain time and place and its very specific.
this is just wrong the only thing immortals are bad at against a zerg are lings mutie and brood lords if hes going roach hydra immortals play a great support role in your army. I repeat support they are in now way the backbone but they are a ton of dps on 4 robotic legs that kick spine crawlers down and crush roaches at like 4 to 6 to 1. Add in some collussus with your natural tech progression and roach hydra is in serious trouble
Reply Quote
Against Zerg, the best opening is just plain 4-Gate and win or FFE.

Like everyone said you NEED forcefields. Stalkers and Sentries have 6 range while Roaches have 4 range. If you can forcefield them away from your army and trap them, then you can't loose. Colossus and Immortals don't do great against Roaches if you can't keep Roaches from sniping them.

You should always have at least 6 Sentries ready to forcefield.
Reply Quote
Colossi and ff are the only ways to deal. Unless u have god storms u are not dealing with it any other way. Or u need Forcefields and Micro that are on par with hero.
Reply Quote
Yeah, its really just forcefields. Typically pure roach shouldnt be a problem as long as your army comp doesent have too many zealots.
Reply Quote
Always open stargate with a void ray to discourage roaches.
Reply Quote
02/29/2012 06:13 AMPosted by cruxYelloSno
i wish toss can mass just stalkers and a click. And dont listent o sidewinder.. carriers are a horrible investment. lol it will be countered real fast.

Don't listen to the man who says don't listen to Sidewinder. Carriers ROFLpwn zerg with the right micro. Get momma ship, throw in some rays and ground forces under the cloak, profit.

Carriers will destroy so much stuff even if they take down the momma ship, it is likely too late. Properly deploy vortex, and it's over.

Reply Quote
zeolots and pheonixes own zerg one base roaches. plus you can kill zerg supply with pheonixes.

and if they happen to survive and build mutas ...you already have pheonixes... and probally 1-2 more bases then he does.
Reply Quote
02/27/2012 09:16 PMPosted by Afixis
I am a protoss gold player and I've been having issues with roaches lately, I can't really figure out why. I tech to robo, get immortals and collos up, keep up with my upgrades, im feeling pretty good, then a massive roach ball comes in and crushes me. I was having a hard time so a tweaked a 2 gate FE build a little bit and so far its worked decently. -9 pylon - 12 gateway -14 assim - 18 core -22 warp gate -27 -30 stargate -31gateway -41 nexus. The idea I had is if I see him going for some type of roach play, I can force him to react with hydras because of my air and then transition into collos because collos are really strong against roach/hydra ball if backed up correctly. I just wanted some feedback and thoughts about any other tweaks or ideas.

I recently learned some tricks and been practicing hard. Went from silver a few weeks back to know evenly matched against diamond players. I have pretty much one build that I use vs zerg and it works almost 90% time.

I forge FE into 7 gate blink. I push out at 9 min mark. At the 9:30 I start harrassing with 14 stalkers and +1 weapons. by 10:30 I have +2 weapons and 21+Stalkers depending on if I take a third. I'd be more then happy to link a replay if I knew a good place to host one for me. I got the build from OGS_Vines from the GSTL zenex vs OGS-TL game 1. Vines used it against Suhosin and just won out right at the 10 min mark. I win well over half without even getting my third going and if I have to fall back, I'v usually did so much damage that I got my third up safely with an additional few gateways and cannons that im set to make run for mid-late game play. Let me know if you want this build, I have it all written down and worked out.
Reply Quote
More voids, More Blink stalkers, More immortals and so on. Also Storm + chargelot is decent vs roach, while teching to colossus or immortal or void ray or... anything else anti armor.

02/29/2012 10:11 AMPosted by TheFiend
Always open stargate with a void ray to discourage roaches.

Follow up with phoenix to discourage muta =D.
Reply Quote
I just played a master zerg using that build and should have won, I lost late after I got my third up , game was about 25 minutes. Was very close but I hit him with the timing, he went for fast 3rd and I had +2 weapons at the 10 min mark with 22 stalkers and he has 18 roaches and bunch of lings. He was 0/0 upgrades vs my +2/0 zealot/stalkers and with blink it was not even close. After killing his 3rd I took my 3rd, but then watched replay and realized that he only had macro back up to 18 roaches and I had 25 stalkers, and could have warped in more zealot/stalkers non stop and just finished him off.

Point is, this build has been working great for me, really punishing zerg and even works well against master players. I actually had more income, more workers and more units first 13 minutes of game, so was glad to see my macro improving. Hopefully diamond soon, then masters after that :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]