StarCraft® II

1.4.3 Performance Issue Data Collection

(Locked)

I am having the same issues as everyone else, I work in the IT field and have tried every single troubleshooting step listed on this site to no avail. I am assuming that the next patch will address these issues, but I have to say, that I am disappointed as I recently purchased a new MacBook Pro specifically for work and playing Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 and should not have to worry about my 1GB video card having issues with the graphics on Medium or High. Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B27
SMC Version (system): 1.69f3
Hardware UUID: 3ED494C3-0D2D-53FC-BD5F-4A3EE558F428
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: EnabledAMD Radeon HD 6770M:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6770M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x6740
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-C0170L-573
gMux Version: 1.9.23
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.573
Displays:
Thunderbolt Display:
Resolution: 2560 x 1440
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Display Serial Number: C02GQ701DJGR
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
Connection Type: DisplayPortSystem Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.3 (11D50d)
Kernel Version: Darwin 11.3.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal
Computer Name: Brian’s MacBook Pro
User Name: Brian Stillman (Brian)
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes
Time since boot: 3:52

**As a side note I have automatic graphic switching turned off when I am playing this game!

ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated--including an ETA on the new patch (which I know you can't give me, but it does not hurt to ask!)
***I forgot to post that my performance issue occurs during the middle to end of the game--I will be playing and suddenly the frame rate will drop drastically almost like lag, none of the other players in the match will see the "Brian's computer is slowing down the game" message and I don't see it on my computer either so I don't think it is a "performance issue" per say.
1. Your FPS you are seeing during performance issues.
My FPS starts at 60(V-Synced). However, in mid game, it goes down as low as 30 fps and stays like that until the rest of the game. Its always like this every single game, whether or not its 1v1 or 4v4. I play on low settings. My computer's brand new. About a week old. I cant believe its having fps problems already and i hope its not my computer. (when i turn off v sync mid game, the fps is around 40 as well when the game starts with like 170)

2. Does the SC2 freeze momentarily during these dips?
It sometimes does in some games. However, i do have lag spikes consistently.

3. When does the the performance dips occur (start of match, middle of match, only when large units are on the screen, etc) and for how long?
It starts around 10 min marks every game and stays like that for the rest of the game.Hardware Overview:

Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Hardware UUID: 6094D80D-4F54-5A0C-8E01-6BA95C055840
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

AMD Radeon HD 6770M:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6770M
Device ID: 0x6740
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.573Intel HD Graphics 3000:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 3000
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0126
Revision ID: 0x0009
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1680 x 1050
Built-In: Yes

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.3 (11D2001)
Time since boot: 6 minutes
Edited by IridescenT on 3/29/2012 6:48 PM PDT
Support Forum Agent
Thanks for the continued feedback.
Machkhan will make you JUMP JUMP
Blue posts will make you JUMP JUMP
I definitely feel this is a RAM related problem. I can play 2-3 games which generally end up free of slow down, then the next will be unplayable due to slow downs, stuttering, lag, etc.

If I restart and reset the PRAM, I can continue going 2-3 games, then have to restart and reset PRAM again. This is a terrible, time consuming, I-can't-believe-I-have-to-do-this work around, but it works.

Please let us know another update.
I just upgraded my MacBook Pro to 8GB of memory and it is still having the issue--Also, I tried running at 1080p as opposed to max resolution and, same issue.
I don't think the issue is technically with the total amount of RAM your system has, but how SC2 accesses (free, inactive) RAM. More specifically, it just doesn't seem to access inactive RAM.
That does make sense. I guess I just don't understand why with my system on high settings (reflections off and physics to low), even after playing around with lowering some of the settings, that I get such a low frame rate cconsistantly throughout the game (30-40) and then that frame rate lowers even more during games.

For example, I have about 45-55 FPS on the main menu where as my friend running an older iMac on high settings gets 60 FPS+....
Absolutely. It doesn't make sense. Try restarting and reset your SMC (hold left shift, control, option keys during start up) and see how the next few games go. For me, there is no lag for 2-3 games following SMC reset.
Been there, done that, but for me, it did not help. I guess this is a good question too: should my computer not run this game on high or ultra settings with a high FPS given the specs I have or is that just wishful thinking? I mean what are the recommended settings for these late 2011 MacBook Pro's.
Sometimes it just lags all game too, regardless of how much RAM is free (not inactive, FREE). Like, I start a game and it is like there is extreme lag but the game keeps going during the freezes. So my SCVs just jump around hilariously until I quit out of the game and lose.
Not sure how helpful this is. Apologies if it's irrelevant/ignorant. I'm no tech buff.

I turned all of my settings down as low as possible a long time ago on my macbook pro (w/ nVidia 9600m GT, intel core 2 duo, 4gb of ram) to get as high of a frame rate as possible.

Was still noticing EXTREME frame rate dips, in particular whenever marines were on the screen.

Not sure why, but I tried turning the refresh rate from "default" up to "60 hz" while messing around in a game against a terran friend with some marines. My frame rate INSTANTLY snapped out of its sluggishness.
Turned it on/off a few times just to check, and there's a night/day difference between the two settings for me.

Thank god I can now actually send banelings after marines instead of watching my frame rate stutter-step for them and laugh at me when all my banes run into tanks -_-

Hope this helps someone else.
Edited by Krybo on 4/8/2012 11:29 PM PDT
Not sure why, but I tried turning the refresh rate from "default" up to "60 hz" while messing around in a game against a terran friend with some marines. My frame rate INSTANTLY snapped out of its sluggishness.
Turned it on/off a few times just to check, and there's a night/day difference between the two settings for me.

I've only tested with a handful of games, but so far this trick has actually resulted in a remarkable improvement in gameplay. The slowdown has been reduced dramatically, and I haven't needed to restart and reset SMC yet (which previously I would do every 2-3 games, or else the next would be unplayable due to slowdown).
Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3 GHz
Number of Processors: 2
Total Number of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per Processor): 12 MB
Memory: 6 GB
Bus Speed: 1.6 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP31.006C.B05
SMC Version (system): 1.25f4

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5770
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
Device ID: 0x68b8
ROM Revision: 113-C0160C-155
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.436

System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.3 (11D50)
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: YesFrame rate on a 3v3 match starts at around 80 FPS, but as soon as combat starts it drops to around 20, and can drop to single digits. There are also small freezes. Any custom map, like Desert Strike takes minutes to load is basically unplayable. The video options say I Extreme is my recommended settings, but I am playing on Medium and still having a ton of trouble.

I haven't played SC for a long time, bit last time I played the game was running fine. Current performance is similar to what it was for Mac when the game 1st launched. Thanks!
Edited by TheBlondie on 4/14/2012 6:07 PM PDT
I have been playing with the 8GB of memory for the past week or so and honestly the game has been running a bit better, although still a heck of a lot slower than I think it should be (the frame rate is still 20 or less during large battles).
"With all the graphic settings on low my fps starts out around 55-60fps and stays there for a good 3-4 minutes during a 1v1 ladder match. Around the 5-6 minute mark I notice my framerate drops down to about 40fps. When I'm about 8 minutes into the game, my frame rate drops down and stays at around 20fps and averages out around 27fps. I've tried different races, resolutions, graphic settings, mouse settings, plus everything included in the sticky. I also decided to install sc2 on my bootcamp partition and for some odd reason the performance is even worst than on Mac. On top of the low fps, I was demoted in my 1v1 league because I couldn't play through the choppiness

During a replay if I speed the player up to 8x, my framerate drops down to about 2fps and stays there. This was never an issue before a recent patch."

This ^^^ I have the EXACT same problem, running a 9400m on a macbook pro on Windows 7 boot.
Edited by Afterbanger on 4/21/2012 3:26 PM PDT
As an update, I've played a few 3v3 Custom with AI (5 AI players), and frequently drop to 0-1 FPS. Checking Activity Monitor during this time shows that Free Memory is generally <20mb, while there remains over 1gb of Inactive Memory.
I'm having the same issues as everyone else. I hadn't played for a few months then started again. I have an early 2011 MBP 15" 2.2 core i7 with 4GB of RAM. I had thought it was just my computer as a whole just bogging down. So I did a clean re-install of Lion and redownloaded/patched everything throughout the OS and the game.

I used to be able to run smoothly (can't remember the actual FPS) on ultra setting with the resolution maxed. Now I have it on high settings with the resolution just under the the max res and still STRUGGLE to get a consistent 29 FPS. Thats in a 2v2 games with no battles going on, if there is battles going on it drops to between 1-6 FPS and just hangs...I was beginning to think my computer was going until I found this thread. Hopefully something can be done to fix this.

Also note, I did all the repair functions mentioned in the other thread.

Hardware Overview:

Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Serial Number (system): C02F441JDF8XHardware UUID: 964DECFF-2BF6-5AB9-B5B4-F40B8832E662
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

AMD Radeon HD 6750M:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6750M
Device ID: 0x6741
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.573
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1440 x 900
Built-In: Yes

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.3 (11D50)
Computer Name: Anthony Bergeron’s MacBook Pro
User Name: Anthony Bergeron (anthony81586)
Time since boot: 4 minutes
Edited by Rabbit on 4/29/2012 5:09 AM PDT
So was something done silently for this issue? I have been playing for the last few days and have not had any issues really...it runs pretty good!
The issue is still very much present for me.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]