StarCraft® II

Starcraft2 is good for you ;] (seriously)

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203458604577263273943183932.html?mod=e2fb

"People who played action-based video and computer games made decisions 25% faster than others without sacrificing accuracy, according to a study. Indeed, the most adept gamers can make choices and act on them up to six times a second—four times faster than most people, other researchers found. Moreover, practiced game players can pay attention to more than six things at once without getting confused, compared with the four that someone can normally keep in mind, said University of Rochester researchers. The studies were conducted independently of the companies that sell video and computer games."

"In the largest public study of electronic gaming so far, Mark Blair at Simon Fraser University in Vancouver, British Columbia, is analyzing the behavior of 150,000 people who play the popular online game called StarCraft II, pulling together more than 1.5 billion data points of perception, attention, movement and second-by-second decision-making."
Reply Quote
okay so gaming helps develop skills that are useful when playing the game, good to know. How is it good for my health?
Reply Quote
03/06/2012 05:17 PMPosted by Necromaster
okay so gaming helps develop skills that are useful when playing the game, good to know. How is it good for my health?

Quicker reaction time, greater multi-tasking abilities, better hand/eye coordination, better concentration, faster and more efficient decision-making, increased ability to focus, etc etc etc

You actually think these are skills that are only useful when playing games?

To state the obvious, all of the above are ESSENTIAL skills for succeeding both in school AND in the professional world.
Edited by SuperNewbie on 3/6/2012 5:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
This is an old topic, but I thought I'd throw in a real world example.

What is something you do everyday that requires multiple attention points and actions based off those perceptions in split seconds? Driving. In theory gamers should be better drivers.

My personal experience involves riding my motorcycle. Coincidence or not, I learned to ride much quicker than my non gaming co-worker who bought a bike the same week I did.

People that refuse gaming as a positive could find a ton of variables to dispute that ^ But I find it and other occasional things in life I relate to gaming amusing.
Reply Quote
I think cooking is a better example, I mean the way pro chefs are able to assemble a 3 course meal while working on multiple parts olf the dishes at once to have it all come together in the end. I wish more of the main stream world understood and enjoyed rts like sc. It sucks because I don't have anyone close by to talk to about the game any more. I want to teach some people but it isn't something that people usually want to learn unless they are in someway already pursing it.
Reply Quote
The thing about games is that they improve absolutely nothing useful. They simply make you better at the game.

Word of advice: never use Lumosity; this is a scam because they train you for their games, not reality.
Reply Quote
Sitting is very bad for health, if you have a treadmill-desk then it's a lot healthier to play sc2.
Reply Quote
Of course you'll make decisions somewhat faster, but that doesn't mean that you'll make better big decisions. They're talking about simple decisions that you would normally make in about a minute or less.
Reply Quote
Of course you'll make decisions somewhat faster, but that doesn't mean that you'll make better big decisions. They're talking about simple decisions that you would normally make in about a minute or less.

My love for starcraft blinds me to the truth,
Watch as I google for 'evidence' that validates my 10hr per day SC2 habit!

You can't trick me with your 'logic', 'words' and well thought out views on the issue. >:)
Reply Quote
Excellent rationalization there Mr. TheCulture! Start with a conclusion, and then find (or spin doctor, or make up) some evidence to support it!

Fyi I tried my first game of sc2 on the treadmill desk and although I definitely felt slower and less able to micro, I still somehow managed to win it (ranked 1v1 gold league) :-) ... it was a long game btw
Reply Quote

Unless you're an athlete who gives a f***? You can play StarCraft II at a GM's level and still have a social life or go to the gym like I do. I don't care much for a social life at all, my life's split into 80% Gaming, 10% Education and 10% Social (Gym mostly) to stay fit, healthy, and I don't care much for anything else lol. I never go out, never get drunk, if I do it's with my family and no one else unless they're gamers and a crowd I can get used to.

Now don't go thinking I'm a lazy bum who doesn't think education is important because I do. I'm a passing student in all my classes still. You're concerned about nothing.
Reply Quote
My life is about 20% gaming, 30% education, 10% running three arguments at once on the subjects of Christianity, Morality, and additions and edits to Zone Control 4, an Arcade game I like, 20% philosophizing as I work in the barn, 15% sleeping, dreaming, thinking about my sleep and dreams, and the rest would be social and other miscellaneous. However, this does change, such as when I have marching band or other band I devote a LOT of thought and time to that.

Believe me, I have plans. I am going places when I get out of college.
Reply Quote
How does one argue morality? what is there to argue about morality? morals change based on the individual and thats really all there is to it (unless an organisation they are part of provides codes for them). Christianity I can understand but morality? what an outdated topic ;P
Reply Quote
Personally the game can be helpful unless you get addicted to it, playing for hours on end doesnt expand your knowledge, grant experiences, and expand upon one's social life which are all tens of thousands of times more important than having slightly better hand-eye coordination or making a decision slightly faster (although these can still be granted with moderated playing time I'd imagine so have it then).
Reply Quote
02/22/2014 05:52 PMPosted by Maverick
I am going places when I get out of college.

What career are you looking at?
Reply Quote
02/22/2014 09:01 PMPosted by Engineer
02/22/2014 05:52 PMPosted by Maverick
I am going places when I get out of college.

What career are you looking at?

As long as he doesnt major in sociology he should have a good career xD
Reply Quote
I was going to try game design. I agree, sociology is not for me.
Reply Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOsqkQytHOs
Reply Quote
03/26/2014 07:08 PMPosted by Kevin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOsqkQytHOs

Cannot be played in excess

Can open up other issues such as too much sitting and not going outside much (in conjunction with being played in excess)

Many teenagers will laugh at educational games so I don't even understand why the hell that was even brought up

Essentially, in order for video games to be beneficial people around the world need to change their gaming habits which is hardly ever going to happen.
Reply Quote
te the obvious, all of the above are ESSENTIAL skills for succeeding both in school AND in the professional world.
Edited by SuperNewbie
i think that's true when i am in school for math i don't study, pay attantion and i play starcraft on the weekend i also ways get at least a 90 and i'm the first to hand it in (don't really pay attantion don't tell teacher that :D)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]