StarCraft® II

Can someone here explain the RP System?

03/06/2012 08:06 PMPosted by NickDaMan
Exactly. People use ghosts because they like the idea of a slight advantage.

And they dislike the idea of a slight disadvantage. It makes it so they are limited to their character in terms of what they can do or where they can go.

Providing your character with psionic powers helps give yourself a little wiggle room as to where you can go or what you can do.

But, ghosts do seem like they would be used quite a lot.
Reply Quote
03/07/2012 07:22 AMPosted by Terrorz
Hmmmm.................... let me throw an idea out there: Spectre!.............. No they look hell of weird when they nuke stuff.

Ahem. *glare*

Also, ghosts are used a lot not just because their psionic abilities give us more inspirational freedom, but also because it is easier to identify with something that is of your own species. Protoss are typically shown as having a particular mindset, proud, sometimes arrogant, distrustful, and often set in their ways. Most RPers are not like that, and so we find it more difficult to portray them.

And Zerg, well, we don't have a Hivemind mentality, so it is very difficult to imagine how that would be.

Humans, we are, and thus we know.
Edited by Thundercrash on 3/9/2012 11:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
In general people tend to make non-flying units because they have the ability to interact with other characters. If you're flying you can't really talk to anyone or do anything.

Tbh, I don't think there are that many people RP'ing as ghosts. Inside Cloaked love almost everyone has psionic powers because the roleplay sorta revolves around that. Not being psionic would cripple your ability to interact with others.

And yes, being a ghost is Ok so long as you're not a Nova in command of a battlecruiser that one-shots everything. For example, my character is a former Dominion rebel who had his mind wiped and now works for the Dominion. He has just realized that his mind was wiped, etc.

So, make sure your character has some limitations. I'll be happy to give you a summary of Cloaked Love, it's a very good place to get started.

Here it is:

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/4044745658
Edited by wfawwer on 3/7/2012 4:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
A day to remember...
Colonization of Candore (Sorry if I spelled it wrong)
The Crash
Cloaked Love

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU FORGOT ONE OF THE BEST TO JOIN!!!!!!
Well, it once was the most popular, but it was hit really hard when the school year came, it has made a great come back thanks to Nick, it is called: Zergling and Zealot.
Reply Quote
Bump for a new hopeful:

Paladin.
Reply Quote
TheCommander
Most Used Character Type: Terran
AWESOME post length and quality.

Again, I appreciate the praise, but I still need a lot of work. Stories are getting harder to write and I really need to use my imagination now.
Reply Quote
What would you say is good post length? I understand quality. Mine is quite awful. I'm just a novice writer, and I don't necessarily have enough experience to be as good as some of these guys. But post length has me mystified.

Is it better to have longer posts or shorter ones? More or less talking? Those kinds of things are still on my list of Figure out before you get people mad at you. XD
Reply Quote
03/07/2012 04:35 PMPosted by wfawwer
Tbh, I don't think there are that many people RP'ing as ghosts. Inside Cloaked love almost everyone has psionic powers because the roleplay sorta revolves around that. Not being psionic would cripple your ability to interact with others.

*twitches and looks around nervously*

I assume I am the sole exception to this?...

Also, F*CK BEING A PSIONIC! THE DAY I HAVE TO RELY ON MAGIC TO BE AS GOOD AS EVERYONE ELSE IS THE DAY I CAN NO LONGER CALL MYSELF A WARRIOR!!!

Also, I just like playing that guy that's way out of his league.
Edited by Jake on 3/9/2012 11:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
What would you say is good post length? I understand quality. Mine is quite awful. I'm just a novice writer, and I don't necessarily have enough experience to be as good as some of these guys. But post length has me mystified.

Is it better to have longer posts or shorter ones? More or less talking? Those kinds of things are still on my list of Figure out before you get people mad at you. XD

It depends on the situation. Are you having a conversation or an argument? No one is going to have a three paragraph long monologue in an argument. Are you in a battle? That usually should be a short "dodge and shoot" post, you know? That is of course unless you are finishing the enemy off then you should try to make it kind of cool or epic depending on the situation again. Don't make it cheesy. You beat a marine? You shot him in the head. You beat a brutalisk? You get in your tank, take a few blasts with it, he charges you, you get out of the tank, he crushes the tank, and then you throw a belt full of grenades in his mouth. He dies of indigestion. That kind of thing.

It also depends on the pace of the story and how many people are online. If a new post is coming up every few minutes then your posts should probably be short, so as to not hog time or get conflicting posts. For example, go back to the brutalisk example. You post a message saying how you killed it which takes you ten to twenty minutes to write. You then check the posts and someone else killed it three minutes before your post came out. Oops. You have to work that kind of thing out with the other poster. If no one has posted for a while like a whole day, then you may need a long post full of detail that starts a new "arch" in the story. You post something that will give other people something to work on. You just killed the big bad or destroyed one of his bases, but haven't achieved your character's goal. You make another big bad, you go to achieve your goal, but obstacles block your path, and/or you find evidence of the big bad's plans and you go off to stop him. Again, it depends on the situation.

The posts need to make sense. Check grammar and spelling. Say what you need or want to say. Don't make a character over powered or take away his/her/its power after you achieve some objective. Try not to make an a!@ pull. If you post something it has to fit within the story and it can't just be any random crap you want to happen (unless it's a joke post, but don't troll). Sometimes you will have to wait on someone to make a post, but if they don't post in 24 hours you should give a post like, "Waiting on you (player)". If he doesn't post then you have to work your way around it somehow, but be careful about taking control of someone else's character. Most people hate that. Though you can say you punched said character in the face.

Oh and be somewhat polite. We could live in different time zones, so you may want to inform someone that you're going to bed or work and that you have to continue the RP conversation later.

Like I'm doing now. OOC (out of character): It's 2:15 in the morning. I'm going to bed.
Edited by Thecommander on 3/9/2012 11:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
Thecommander, your explanations are soooooooooooo long.
Reply Quote
How else do you expect it to be explained?

Thecommander has quite eloquently stated the truth. I have a couple things to add:

if a player's character or characters is central to the story, or a particular person is considered in charge of the plot line, be courteous, and wait for them to post the next main segment, if a DM is in play. Also, be aware that, in addition to the time zone difference, some of us cannot post in the same general time. I believe that the optimal posting time for most people, at least from a Mountain Standard Time reference point, is between 5:00 and 9:00 PM. Some of us, due to certain complications, are not able to post within this time span. Please be respectful, and give them time to respond if you know that the other person will not be online at the same time as you.

This is also just my suggestion, but never kill another character that is not under your control, unless it has been agreed before hand with the character's owner.
Reply Quote
03/13/2012 11:45 AMPosted by Thundercrash
This is also just my suggestion, but never kill another character that is not under your control, unless it has been agreed before hand with the character's owner.

Is that directed at me? Or ace?

Because there is a difference in assimilation and death, and currently all the characters that have died, were not killed by me, their creators killed them
Edited by Fantasy on 3/13/2012 2:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/13/2012 02:22 PMPosted by Fantasy

Is that directed at me? Or ace?

Because there is a difference in assimilation and death, and currently all the characters that have died, were not killed by me, their creators killed them

Neither. Just a general suggestion that I think we can all agree on, as a matter of conduct.
Reply Quote
03/13/2012 11:45 AMPosted by Thundercrash
f a player's character or characters is central to the story, or a particular person is considered in charge of the plot line, be courteous, and wait for them to post the next main segment, if a DM is in play. Also, be aware that, in addition to the time zone difference, some of us cannot post in the same general time. I believe that the optimal posting time for most people, at least from a Mountain Standard Time reference point, is between 5:00 and 9:00 PM. Some of us, due to certain complications, are not able to post within this time span. Please be respectful, and give them time to respond if you know that the other person will not be online at the same time as you.

This was all stuff I knew about. I just took what I would hate happening to me and my experience and decided I wouldn't ever do it. All of this was in that list.

Thank you very much, everyone, for helping me out. This has really got me excited about Role Play.

I've been needing a lot of help with writing, (I'm writing a book, and I'm currently awful at it. XD) so I decided to come here. I'm glad the community was so willing to "assimilate" me into their group.
Edited by BzKKyryne on 3/13/2012 10:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
*Jumps on BzK, then begins to liquefy over him, slowly covering him in purple goop*
Reply Quote
HBRB, get off him. That stuff of your takes forever to wash out.

03/13/2012 10:06 PMPosted by BzKKyryne
f a player's character or characters is central to the story, or a particular person is considered in charge of the plot line, be courteous, and wait for them to post the next main segment, if a DM is in play. Also, be aware that, in addition to the time zone difference, some of us cannot post in the same general time. I believe that the optimal posting time for most people, at least from a Mountain Standard Time reference point, is between 5:00 and 9:00 PM. Some of us, due to certain complications, are not able to post within this time span. Please be respectful, and give them time to respond if you know that the other person will not be online at the same time as you.

This was all stuff I knew about. I just took what I would hate happening to me and my experience and decided I wouldn't ever do it. All of this was in that list.

Thank you very much, everyone, for helping me out. This has really got me excited about Role Play.

I've been needing a lot of help with writing, (I'm writing a book, and I'm currently awful at it. XD) so I decided to come here. I'm glad the community was so willing to "assimilate" me into their group.

Yeah, we're actually a pretty nice bunch, if a little strange sometimes. We're just looking to have fun, enjoy each others company.

HBRB, if you jump on me, I swear, I will shoot you where it don't grow back, and I think we all know where that is.

Anyways, RPing is pretty easy, once you understand what you should and shouldn't do. It's pretty much exactly as how you interact with others in real life, just usually more epic, because you can do stuff that you usually can't. We're very welcoming, since new people can mean new ideas.
Reply Quote
and if you want an RP where you can just chill and make characters that are more OP then the ones you have in regular RPs then try Troll Forward Command Outpost
Reply Quote
03/14/2012 04:29 AMPosted by HowBabysRBrn
*Jumps on BzK, then begins to liquefy over him, slowly covering him in purple goop*

I REALLY hope this doesn't stain.
Reply Quote
03/14/2012 09:48 AMPosted by BzKKyryne

I REALLY hope this doesn't stain.

If you have to ask the question, it's already too late.
Reply Quote
I WUUuuuuuUUUUVE YOU!
*falls off, and is unconscious*
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]