StarCraft® II

How does zerg beat mass thor terran?

I've lost a few times against this match up so far. Terran just goes like 10 thors and the rest marines how can i fight against this? Brood lords are the only thing that "kind of" works but not really that great from what i've seen.

Edit:I guess maybe i could have expanded more because he was turtling pretty hard, but idk

Edit2: the match i lost it in i was going roach/infestor and i threw 3 maxed waves of roaches at him and his 1 army annihilated mine

Edit3: after watching the reply i realized he did infact have a few tanks for support, i think that might considerably hinder the usage of bling/ling. Though i think i am still going to use broodlords/ling/bling
Edited by bobofred on 3/7/2012 8:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
10 thors = 3.000 minerals + 2.000 gas and 60 population...

by "Brood lords are the only thing that "kind of" works but not really that great from what i've seen" did you mean you used 10 not clumped broodlords?

for future reference, lings destroy thors. aside from that, thor's air attack is preferencial over ground attack, meaning that if you have a few broodlords, all you lings, blings, roaches, etc only have to deal with marines...

on the other hand, you'll never stop 10 thors with 20 roaches... you must compare equally sized armies at the least
Reply Quote
thanks that's just what i needed
Reply Quote
as an interesting note, neural parasite actually outranges the thor's ground attack, and with roaches/lings/broods to deal damage it becomes pretty easy if you've mopped up the marines for the time being

i had an issue with this to a while back, that was until i just went roach/infester+ neural for the win- its very effective
Reply Quote
I've successfully stopped mass thor+marine+marauder pushes with pure ling bling. If there's no helion or tank support, you rip right through his army and come out ahead.
Reply Quote
If its just mass thor/marines/medivacs, just go mass ling/bling, with some more emphasis on the banelings now that you can't quite use mutas in the engagement. Blings will tear marines to shreds, and if you have extra, target the thor in the middle of the pack. With some luck, you should be able to get a lot of splash done, and about 20 lings per thor is more than plenty. Thors lack the dps to kill lings effectively. You really only need roaches to kill the hellions, and even then, infestors with fungal will actually do it much better.
Reply Quote
Seems like banelings is a common answer, that sounds about right too because he was a slow mover kept his marines by his thors. Thanks guys!

Also i will try out the parasite aswell seems like it could be a fun option
Reply Quote
standard ling/bling/muta would still work, just gotta magic box muta's.

The muta's won't be torn to shreds by marines because the ling/blings will be forcing the marines back

Not against that many thors (10 thors prob takes 30+ mutas assuming he didn't go for armor upgrades), and 1 stim by those marines equals to a huge loss in mutas if you're attack timing is off. Maybe use the mutas to attack reinforcements, but you still have to be very cautious.
Reply Quote
Take this with a grain of salt, mind you i am only Plat, but whenever i see mass thor/ bf hellion, going roach/infester/ling seems great. Run in with roach/ling and then neural parasite as many thors as possible. Works everytime at Plat.
Reply Quote
roach, ling baneling is all you need against thor marines. Do not get mutas against this composition, you only do that if he starts adding tanks and has few thors. As mentioned already, 10 thors with upgrades !%%% mutas, even magic boxed ones.

You can add infestors for neural parasite and fungal if you want. Rushing for broodlords against that is a horrible idea.

Just get ling-bling-roach with the movement upgrades and you're set. You should roll that composition easily.

If he goes for blueflame hellions instead of marines, you'll need less ling-bling and more infestors.
Edited by Zsa on 3/7/2012 10:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
as an interesting note, neural parasite actually outranges the thor's ground attack, and with roaches/lings/broods to deal damage it becomes pretty easy if you've mopped up the marines for the time being

i had an issue with this to a while back, that was until i just went roach/infester+ neural for the win- its very effective

Thank you! Im going to start trying this against mech!
Reply Quote
03/07/2012 07:45 AMPosted by Nasreth
I usually just outmacro him and then crash something like 100+ banelings into his army, remax and clean up.

I've heard that this is actually not cost effective though, really depending on how clumped their units are. Then again, mech builds slowly so it could definitely be worth it if you just tech switch right after.
Reply Quote
Lings+Infestors work great for groups of thor.. especially if the thor have their cannon upgrade researched.
1 NP can effectively take 2 thor out of the battle if he researched the cannons, because using the cannon on a second thor will both Paralyze and Destroy one completely, the one you neural will simply stop dealing damage to your own army till neural ends, and that's a plus.

Fungal growth over the top of a Ling invasion is a good way to clean up marines as well, while the marines usually have the ranged weapon advantage, a few fungals puts the Zerglings on about equal footing, while keeping the marines away from the Infestors. Fungal also helps if you're trying to use the neural trick I mentioned above, because it gives you a chance to make a "safe spot" for the infestor to neural from that is out of the range of some nearby units.

Also remember, because the cannons paralyze, you can't have two thors shoot each other at the same time, one will be paralyzed and the shot or neural wasted.
Reply Quote
Lings+Infestors work great for groups of thor.. especially if the thor have their cannon upgrade researched.
1 NP can effectively take 2 thor out of the battle if he researched the cannons, because using the cannon on a second thor will both Paralyze and Destroy one completely, the one you neural will simply stop dealing damage to your own army till neural ends, and that's a plus.

You would never research the cannon upgrade for thors in TvZ. EVER
There is absolutely no benefit you get from it, so you would never research it, unless you're messing around or retarded :p.
Reply Quote
03/07/2012 11:47 AMPosted by Zsa
You would never research the cannon upgrade for thors in TvZ. EVER

To be honest, I didn't realize that that was a real multiplayer upgrade until a month or two ago when I was off racing...
Reply Quote
Infested terrans are very good against thors. If you are forced to engage with roach infestor before your broodlords finish, you want to drown him in infested terrans.
Reply Quote
03/07/2012 07:35 AMPosted by iNFeRNaL
about 20 lings per thor is more than plenty

You do realize that 20 lings per Thor against 10 Thors is a 200/200 ling army... no room for infestors, no less drones!

The main problem with mass Thor is that they DO move all clumped up so you can't get a good surround on them and you can't get anywhere near the middle ones. I'm having a really hard time with this engagement as well. It really doesn't matter how big my army is or how I maneuver. I had 2/2 roaches with 1/2 ling / bling going against about thors and marines yesterday, hit them from 3 sides so I had about as good a surround as I could get. Larger army. Completely destroyed. Had another almost equivalent army by the time he reached my base. Again, same group, completely destroyed, no reinforcements from the terran.

Should probably hang up my creep and go play another race... for shame!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]