StarCraft® II

How does zerg beat mass thor terran?

03/07/2012 02:19 PMPosted by Oddible
about 20 lings per thor is more than plenty

You do realize that 20 lings per Thor against 10 Thors is a 200/200 ling army... no room for infestors, no less drones!

2 lings are 1 supply
200 lings are x supply
what is x? :p
Reply Quote
2 lings are 1 supply
200 lings are x supply
what is x? :p

Lol thanks. Surprising how many people don't know that lings are half a supply. BTW Oddible, if they do clump up, make about 40 banelings. That should stop them pretty easily.
Reply Quote
you need to make banes and broods. Thats all I really make when I see he's going mass thors. If I see vikings i'll get a couple extra corruptors.
Reply Quote
Terran mech is unbeatable ! T_T
Reply Quote
Don't mean to necro, but this was the first reasonable link that came up in google search.

I just faced a terran on Cloud Kingdom who started with blue flame hellion into mass thor. When I went muta I lost control and his thors ate them alive. I tried broodlord/roach but he countered with ravens. He had about 4 tanks defending the ramps to both his natural and his third, blocked off with planetary fortresses, so runbys weren't really possible.

The game lasted forever, and he killed at least three times as many units as I did. I had 7 bases to his 4 (which I kept taking out), and I wound up taking his 4th in the last few moments of the game.

The only times the tide turned in my favor were when I had a successful ling drop with overlords, when I neural parisited his thors along with ultra support, and when I finally used infestors to drop infested marines on his only mining base when I was trying to break through another wall with roaches and ultras.

It's rough, man. I usually win mech in the long games but this guy seemed to be one step ahead of my transitions. The saving grace was that he had no missile turrets anywhere on the map.
Edited by Alexander on 11/8/2012 11:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
Mass Banelings.
Reply Quote
Mass infestor with a couple broods cleans up thors easy just don't lose the infestors .
Reply Quote
go roach into broodlord infestor, he probably hits a timing before broods finish, so u want to make sure u have atleast 10 infestors and like 10 spines at your most vulnerable expansion. as he pushes assume that base will be lost and reexpand, double if u can. fungal doesnt do much vs thors, but is great vs the marines. drop tons of infested terrans, deal as much dmg as can to his army and i normally counterattack with roaches since they do like nothing when u fight against a huge mech ball. you should be able to delay him enough that your broodlords can come out, although u probably lose a base, thats okay just make sure the drones get and on to your new base.

go broodlord infestor and proceed to win. zerg imba.
Reply Quote
This composition also pisses me off. I'll try mass mass banelings. NP seems useless.
Reply Quote
This composition also pisses me off. I'll try mass mass banelings. NP seems useless and my infestor control is weak.
Reply Quote
roach + baneling + hyper-aggression
Reply Quote
ROACHS > THORS
ROACHS < TANKS
Reply Quote
u can't really do anything against mass thors if they have too many out the only real counter to an army like that is to mass banelings and clear the field u won't end up having a favorable exchange for cost but since thors take so long to rebuild u'll be able to finish him off or at least push him back before he manages to rebuild.
Reply Quote
infestor fungal broodlord. I like to cliff or water abuse so the thors can't reach my fliers
Reply Quote
Seems like banelings is a common answer, that sounds about right too because he was a slow mover kept his marines by his thors. Thanks guys!

Also i will try out the parasite aswell seems like it could be a fun option

Banelings shouldn't work against even semi-competent Thor-ing players: they can always stim the marines and run in circles around the (spread out) thors until the banelings are all dead. It takes about 20 banelings to kill a Thor, so you need to spend about 1500/500 to kill a unit that costs 300/200 if you plan to go this route. You also shouldn't be able to punish them right away if you do kill all off the Thors, because they will likely have 4-6 factories and a few siege tanks to limit your damage potential on a counter attack.
Also, zerglings shouldn't work either, because hold position micro on the SCVs should keep them from connecting. Roach/Infestor/Brood Lord should work well against Thor-centric compositions. NP is annoying but not battle winning unless you manage to nab all of the thors after fungalling the marines. Or you can use ling/muta to punish the immobility of Thors and force them to stay close to home, giving you plenty of time to macro to victory.
Edited by BrockLanders on 11/16/2012 11:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
Seems like banelings is a common answer, that sounds about right too because he was a slow mover kept his marines by his thors. Thanks guys!

Also i will try out the parasite aswell seems like it could be a fun option

Banelings shouldn't work against even semi-competent Thor-ing players: they can always stim the marines and run in circles around the (spread out) thors until the banelings are all dead. It takes about 20 banelings to kill a Thor, so you need to spend about 1500/500 to kill a unit that costs 300/200 if you plan to go this route. You also shouldn't be able to punish them right away if you do kill all off the Thors, because they will likely have 4-6 factories and a few siege tanks to limit your damage potential on a counter attack.
Also, zerglings shouldn't work either, because hold position micro on the SCVs should keep them from connecting. Roach/Infestor/Brood Lord should work well against Thor-centric compositions. NP is annoying but not battle winning unless you manage to nab all of the thors after fungalling the marines. Or you can use ling/muta to punish the immobility of Thors and force them to stay close to home, giving you plenty of time to macro to victory.

This is pretty much completely wrong; roach/baneling decimates thors (or thor/marine). Just engage with roaches first, run in banelings directly behind them, surround the thors, and let the banes and their splash do the rest.

Also, it's extremely tough to spread out thors or avoid banelings with marines. Marine spreading doesn't even become really relevant until mid/high masters (players' micro isn't good enough), and thors are slow as hell and thus very tough to spread out. If they're too spread, you can just pick them off one by one with your roach ball.
Reply Quote
roach pokes and harasses when he's passive, but don't max out on roaches

ling bling roach hydra infestor if he moves out at a pre hive timing. you need a few blings to clear scvs

into ultra broodlord ling hydra infestor once you are at hive. imo ultras are better than broodlords if your opponent goes mass thor, by the time thors are 3/3 (5 armor) they laugh at broodlings and the accompanying BFHs will further make broodlords mediocre.

ultras are good in the sense that now you no longer need baneling splash damage to deal with scvs and bfhs, they tank an obscene amount of damage allowing your hydras to really shine

also, the bigger problem is to deny him his 4th which he will attempt to take during his pre-hive push. however, if you can accomplish this and survive his push, the game is in the bag.
Edited by stephead on 11/16/2012 12:02 PM PST
Reply Quote

This is pretty much completely wrong; roach/baneling decimates thors (or thor/marine). Just engage with roaches first, run in banelings directly behind them, surround the thors, and let the banes and their splash do the rest.

Also, it's extremely tough to spread out thors or avoid banelings with marines. Marine spreading doesn't even become really relevant until mid/high masters (players' micro isn't good enough), and thors are slow as hell and thus very tough to spread out. If they're too spread, you can just pick them off one by one with your roach ball.

Nope, Thors are really easy to keep spread out, especially since most Terran players by mid gold are comfortable with 5 control groups, if I set my marines to one control group, then my Thors and SCVs to the remaining four control groups then spreading is as easy as 'click, 1 click, 2 click, 3 click, 4 click. And if I am going Thors and I see lots of banelings then I just count it as a win and go back to macroing.
Reply Quote
Nope, Thors are really easy to keep spread out, especially since most Terran players by mid gold are comfortable with 5 control groups, if I set my marines to one control group, then my Thors and SCVs to the remaining four control groups then spreading is as easy as 'click, 1 click, 2 click, 3 click, 4 click. And if I am going Thors and I see lots of banelings then I just count it as a win and go back to macroing.

At mid-gold, or silver rather, you must have Code S-level micro or beyond, since I've seen mass thor go down to mass baneling at this level (not to mention from my own experience in diam/masters).

Also not sure if you're talking about PURE baneling; this is a bad idea since once all your banes die you have nothing to finish off the army. That's what the roaches are for. Thors hardcounter mutas though; going muta/ling vs pure thor/marine is the worst possible thing you can do.
Reply Quote
baneling infestor ultra on 6 + bases works charms vs any mass thor composition, use fungal growth to stop splitting and neural parasite on them too and ultras will do the rest by giving those big thors loving hugs :) be sure to have a spire just in case he switches to battle cruisers.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]