StarCraft® II

bronze / silver league 1v1 tournament

i've decided to make a tournamnet for low level players (as myself). I thought it would be fun to start a tournament for the lower skilled players for fun.

rules:
will be a best of 3 matches

no verbal abuse (swearing at the opponent)
all in cheese methods - scv/probe/drone rush
- cannon rush
- six pool
will all be counted as a loss

rules for entering:
that 1v1 and 2v2 are to be in either bronze or silver league

starts from now till thursday the 8th at 10pm EST

deadlines:
entering ends on the 8th thursday at 10 pm EST
tournament will be organized as follows on the friday and put up here
qualifying matches begin on saturday at 7:30 EST
more information will be followed up with the amount of people entered.

prizes:
depending on the success (amount of people willing to participate) there might be a current, and future prizes to be won.
Reply Quote
all in cheese methods - scv/probe/drone rush
- cannon rush
- six pool
will all be counted as a loss

What I read
"No strategies that I feel are hard to stop"

Why not let them? It's a strategy game, let players use strategies (the ones you listed are usually just instant wins for the opponent if you do them anyways).

Other than that, I like what you're doing :D
Edited by Nemasyst on 3/5/2012 8:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
well, to be honest, its all subject to change, if people get interested in low level tournaments, id have no problem with giving cash prizes every two weeks. i just threw this is, because its sort of an anti-climatic battle. if most of the people that join this tournament dont like that rule, i have no problem taking it down.

but all in all, im hoping for at least 8 players for thursday, if i get that, i can guarranty a prize for 1st, 2nd and 3rd :D
Reply Quote
bump! :3
Reply Quote
ill do it how do i register?
Reply Quote
I'd love to be in this, I'm not really worried about cheese's though, the biggest thing in Bronze and Silver is learning how to counter cheese, as its a tournament if your not top of your game you shouldn't be playing in it until your confident.
Reply Quote
I'm always interested in practice games. Because tornaments are not league related, that's technically a practice game ... to me
Reply Quote
to Dawmeeksy, registration is simply by saying you'll do it, and to xxdiereckrxx, cheeses shouldnt be that much of a problem, its a best of 3 this time, but i plan on doing weekly/ bi-weekly tournaments. during the summer, when i plan to do cash pools for 1-3 place, winners will get in for free. depends on how i feel during these next weeks though, since im going for surgery on the 19th, so depending on how this one goes will be for when the next one will be. but if so far, with 3 people wanting in, im hoping for another 5 people in the next day *crosses fingers*.
Edited by SuicidalUrge on 3/7/2012 12:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
Oh im so in! sounds like fun c: but no please dont let cheese in.. that guys kinda saying "well im good at cheesing, Lets do it!" id rather have a 7+ minute game.. but i hope more people register! i should be able to reserve a spot for my friend too!♥
Reply Quote
im hoping for more then 8 players, but that8 is ok too, just get him as well to coment on this thread
Reply Quote
hey this is VePs friend, im up for joining the tournament man. it sounds like a lot of fun and even though its silver and bronze i can probably learn a few things while im facing some people ♥
Reply Quote
i'd like to join in, seamoosey char code 726

oh yeah, i'm gold in one of my 2v2 teams, but that was mostly just a carry... plzdon'tbanme :)

Edit: I found the games, turns out we double 7 pooled all of our placements...
Edited by seamoosey on 3/8/2012 3:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
Count me in HLCtrenner:276
Reply Quote
i now plan to extend the end date of registration, dude to the fact im one sign up away from the typical 8 player tournament
Reply Quote
i have a friend that might wanna join, i'm asking him on skype

Edit: just asked him, and he said he would after the game he was in.
Edited by seamoosey on 3/8/2012 6:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
i d like to be assigned too if the period is extended :D
code:836
Edited by notkorean on 3/8/2012 7:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
Anyone who loses to an SCV/Probe/Drone rush deserves to lose. By the time a worker rush hits, you should have more workers than them and easily win. Also, you really can't define all-in cheese. Is there really a difference between a 6 pool and a 7 pool? How about offensive cannons at 3 minutes versus 10 minutes. And how about strategies involving workers like a terran marine/bunker aggression?

Cheese is part of the game and defending cheese makes you a better player. Even the professional SC2 players throw some cheese into their game. I almost never cheese or all-in early in the game on ladder because I want to play to improve. In a tournament, however, with best of three matches the occasional cheese can keep people from getting too greedy. For instance, if every zerg player "macroed" in every game, then every protoss player could go nexus first in every game and have 2 nexuses before a forge or gateway. Prohibiting cheese or early attacks merely makes people play more greedily than they would or should.

The beauty of SC2 is that each of us tries to out macro our opponent without playing so greedily that they can attack and kill us off. Alternately, we try to build enough units to punish a greedy opponent. Basically, we scout our opponent and react to what they are doing. Prohibiting cheese or other early game attacks would reduce the variety of gameplay in your tournament.

I won't be playing in your tournament, nor will I be watching it. Thus, take my advice as you wish. I do wish you luck, however.
Reply Quote
Cheese is NOT part of the game once ur even in silver. its only really bronze players that do it. yes you will get some cheesers in silver and above b ut once your out of bronze its rare. Not being allowed to cheese is a great rule Suicidal and thats one of the reasons i let VeP convince me to join. The fact that your willing to support cheesing makes me believe thats all you do. And if done correctly, a cannon rush and a proxy 2 gate is one of the hardest cheeses to stop. For even if you do scout toss at that point you wont see his stuff and you can have 4 zlots out very quickly. ive even had zlots out before a wall was done from terren and i wiped him. SuicidalUrge, im glad your not letting people cheese in this tourney. I'm hoping for some good competition :P
Reply Quote
03/09/2012 08:45 AMPosted by LastAngel
Cheese is NOT part of the game once ur even in silver. its only really bronze players that do it. yes you will get some cheesers in silver and above b ut once your out of bronze its rare. Not being allowed to cheese is a great rule Suicidal and thats one of the reasons i let VeP convince me to join. The fact that your willing to support cheesing makes me believe thats all you do. And if done correctly, a cannon rush and a proxy 2 gate is one of the hardest cheeses to stop. For even if you do scout toss at that point you wont see his stuff and you can have 4 zlots out very quickly. ive even had zlots out before a wall was done from terren and i wiped him. SuicidalUrge, im glad your not letting people cheese in this tourney. I'm hoping for some good competition :P

Cheese is not part of the game above bronze? Have you watched the pro games lately? You will find all kinds of cheese including 6 pool and proxy 2 rax in the GSL season 1 games.

I rarely cheese because cheesing has limited usefulness in the ladder. In a best of three tourney, however, cheese has some use. The fear of possible cheese will keep people legit. They won't go auto nexus first or take extreme risks because a cheese build could kill them.

If you want a no cheese tournament, by all means have one. Just don't make ridiculous statements that there is no cheese above bronze. I face cheese all the time when playing against gold and platinum opponents. I see cheese used by Master or grandmaster players in streams. I even have seen cheese in major SC2 tournaments like GSL and MLG.
Reply Quote
fine, its just that i dont want to be watching and knowing that this single player is going to do like a 6pool, every match, because that wouldnt be at all entertaining, what im hoping to see is for new plays to develope in the tournament with the players. by all means, im changing the rule, il let a cheese slide by, but not if your going to progressively do it. by what i mean, watch high tier players play, like i am subscribed to husky, and for those players, they may out of a game of 7, do one cheese, and usually, from what i see, its an offensive placement to halt an early expansion. im just trying to deture people from solely counting on cheeses to get too first, and so far there is still 6 hours to register, im going to be coding my tournament randomizer (turing coding HAHAHA) and hopefully by an hour past 10 (EST) il have the 1st tier matches set out. :3 please try to coax others to joining
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]