StarCraft® II

Proposed Design Changes To StarCraft 2's UI

Hire this man. He gets it.
+1
Reply Quote
These are very well thought out ideas, and I love the mockup screens you created to demonstrate them! Nice work, and I hope you get the job!
Reply Quote
Need to mention we need win rate statistics, for maps and races.
Reply Quote
Dinkleberg...
Reply Quote
+1. I like the file sharing idea.
Reply Quote
311 video views and over 2,800 likes

LOL I have never seen more likes than views before.

+1 good friend!

Amazing how people are disliking it.
Edited by IronManSC on 3/16/2012 12:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
i like your ideas a lot! Even if blizz doesn't hire you they need to take in some of your ideas.
Reply Quote
Cause I dont have a youtube account:

56 people work on the design team for SC2...

Also, lol at 3000 ratings and 300 views
Edited by TheGame on 3/16/2012 1:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Love love love the create a tab option for replays! So simple. <3 <3 <3 You rock, and video very well done.

Give. this. guy. the. job.
Edited by Redzer on 3/16/2012 1:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Now that my internet started working properly again, I managed to watch it.

And I found that a lot of the things you were saying, I was thinking just the other day when I was playing on SEA. Every time I finished a match, I wanted to go straight back into the replay to see what my opponent was doing when I was thinking something else, but with the slow loading time of my laptop by the time the replays folder opened up and I started up the replay, I wasn't into the match as much a I could have been if there was a simple launch replay button on the summary screen. And I would have loved to have that button there.
Also, I like the Tagging system, though you could also call it a favourite's system, as thats basically what you are doing with it.

Though two things you didn't mention and I would like to see (that have to do with replays)
1. Reorganising replays while in-game. Right now you can't do that, you have to go into your documents, open the SC2 folder, find the correct account, find the replay folder and then you can rearrange it. It would be a lot better if you didn't have to do all that.
2. Renaming replays in game. Same reasoning behind reorganising the replays.
Reply Quote
They need to give you a job on this even if it requires firing the guy who used to do it.

Especially if it involves firing the guy who used to do it.

Lol, this has so much win.
Edited by stubing on 3/16/2012 1:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
/Support Given. I love Blizzard games but seriously, what the F U C K were they thinking when they took away the majority of features we already had in SC BW.....seriously......you guys smoking too much weed in the mornings over there. Quit trolling us with this ghetto !@# before 1990 system.

Get this man in there and give us something to be proud of !
Reply Quote
Excellent presentation, hope you get the job!
Reply Quote
Good stuff man. I hope you get the job.
Reply Quote
Definitely some good ideas. I like the work you did. +1
Reply Quote
looks great!
Reply Quote
I liked the changes you proposed. The idea of tabs for replays is neat. Right now the only way for keep your replays in order is by creating folders but with your tabs that may not be necessary.

I really hope you get the job.
Reply Quote
You made a pretty hefty mistake with your proposition.

While your ideas are good, and somewhat thought out, they are overall incredibly presumptuous. You took years of hard work from multiple teams and butchered it without understanding their motives.

For future reference, if you want to get hired, no one is going to hire someone who feels that they have the best way.

Alternatively, what you should have done, and failed to do, was UNDERSTAND Blizzard motives and intentions and then expand on that. This gives credit to those who worked on the UI as well as show that you understand their design intentions and are trying to maintain those. Instead you said, "this is 'An AMAZING and GROUND-BREAKING' discovery in UI" and has to be implemented—which I hate to burst your bubble, is not amazing or ground-breaking.

This comes from another design professional to another. Best of luck and I did enjoy the video overall.
Edited by TheJellymon on 3/16/2012 6:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
This guy gets it. Much better job than just complaining about current BN UI
Reply Quote
You made a pretty hefty mistake with your proposition.

While your ideas are good, and somewhat thought out, they are overall incredibly presumptuous. You took years of hard work from multiple teams and butchered it without understanding their motives.

For future reference, if you want to get hired, no one is going to hire someone who feels that they have the best way.

Alternatively, what you should have done, and failed to do, was UNDERSTAND Blizzard motives and intentions and then expand on that. This gives credit to those who worked on the UI as well as show that you understand their design intentions and are trying to maintain those. Instead you said, "this is 'An AMAZING and GROUND-BREAKING' discovery in UI" and has to be implemented—which I hate to burst your bubble, is not amazing or ground-breaking.

This comes from another design professional to another. Best of luck and I did enjoy the video overall.

As to the language: I had originally intended this video to sort of be a spoof of Apple's product releases. Hence all of the hyperbole. I changed the direction of the video after I had about 60-70% of the edits in place; as I did not feel that it was funny enough, and I was afraid people would lose sight of the message and simply say, "Dude, you are not funny."

I probably should have rerecorded that audio, and I did try doing that, but because it was so late in the editing process it would have meant delaying the video even longer to release. (And I have no idea where they are in the hiring process, so I knew I wanted to get it out as quickly as possible.)

As to your points regarding cutting out a lot of the behind the scenes development: I agree I made it a lot easier than it actually is to include those types of controls. Everything has to be coded on the front and back end, play tested, etc. In my first attempt at the voice over I went into more detail about how it might be possible to do some of this... but it was 25 minutes long and I did not think many people would listen to it. (Plus I really did not have the time or want to have to edit together what is basically a half hour T.V. show for this.)

So in the end I kept it short and to the point, and made it more like an idealized version of some of the things I would like to see. Sort of like one of those old, "World of Tomorrow" kind of videos.

I am sure there are reasons Blizzard has things the way that they are, but I did try to pick things that I thought would be relatively easily to implement. A little bit of caching here, some sort of XML or Hash file for crosslinking replays with you match history there.

I am glad that you did like the video overall though, and I do greatly appreciate your thoughts and the post!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]