StarCraft® II

Starcraft 2 > League of Legends

It always baffles me how LoL is compared with Starcraft 2 as some kind of competitive game.

Starcraft 2 requires an astounding amount of strategy, skill and experience to play. LoL does requires some knowledge about positioning and ambushing, but when it comes down to it you only have to control 1 unit and concern yourself with the positioning of 9 other units. Comparatively, SC2 makes LoL look like a game for children. And, if you go watch a LoL event, you will indeed find that mostly children appear to be playing. I have not watched a lot of LoL, but from what I have seen it appears to appeal to 8-12 year old "pro gamers."

Now, there are a lot of games which seem silly compared to Starcraft if you are just considering the skill required in the pro gaming scene. The reason which these other games do not bother me, is that they aren't constantly grouped in with or compared with SC2. They are a separate community for the most part, which is probably for the best. League of Legends should not be compared to Starcraft because it is a completely different kind of game.

My opinion is that it is extremely inferior to Starcraft, but that's just one OPINION. Please, stop treating these two games like they are in the same genre or appeal to the same kinds of competitive gamers, because they DO NOT.
Reply Quote
All you need to remember is one thing.

League has a tremendous audience that completely eclipses SC2's audience by such an extreme margin, that the fact that SC2 is technically a superior game, is irrelevant.

First you see SC2 score up 30k viewers on the stream. Then you see League at 130k viewers. This isn't about which game is better, or which game is free and which isn't.

Honestly if SC2 truly was that far ahead of League, then the $60 price tag really wouldn't matter. People would play the game that everyone else is playing, regardless of the price tag.

Something has to shake things up. It's the battle.net interface that is the cause. In fact if we just took the damn League interface and replaced Battle.net 2.0 with THAT interface, seriously this game would be immediately improved on sheer userbase.
Reply Quote
No one cares if SC II is better in terms of actual gameplay. Sponsors go for what games is most popular. Population = profit. Casual gamers is where the money is at, so you guys better start making casuals happy.
Reply Quote
I get why it has a larger playerbase: it's free, appeals to casuals/unintelligent/lazy people, etc.

But why do more people watch it? There is very little strategy involved, it's so boring to watch!
Reply Quote
03/11/2012 01:57 AMPosted by Ghost
/unintelligent/lazy people

Top 15 class rank; Starcraft doesn't require any physical exertion either.

The reason I like it better is because it is updated more and there is more variety. I like teamwork in games, Starcraft seems like a 1v1 ladder grind. I'd much rather be on skype with my friends chatting and working together. League of Legends does have strategy, maybe not as much as Starcraft. Last hitting minions is like making workers, you need to do it to get a good income. Battle.net v2 is severely under par; the same custom games get very old and nobody plays anything past page 2. 3 Races vs. 90 champions. If I get bored of one champion I have a variety to pick from. It's really a fun game, and whether Starcraft or League of Legends is better, it's pure opinion, and that's all that matters when you play a game. Play what you want, don't try to slam other people's opinions.
Reply Quote
Yeah but all the guys in Starcraft never miss for some reason...weird.
Reply Quote
They do appeal to the same gamers and you will find alot of people who play both games.
Reply Quote
I get why it has a larger playerbase: it's free, appeals to casuals/unintelligent/lazy people, etc.

But why do more people watch it? There is very little strategy involved, it's so boring to watch!

Wow this thread got necro'd, but since it did I might as well answer here.

It's because they incorporate their ingame youtube or video viewer or whatever to the stream. So basically *everyone* that's on during is counted as a "viewer", even if they didn't even know there was a stream going on.
Reply Quote
04/22/2012 01:20 PMPosted by Delmin
It's because they incorporate their ingame youtube or video viewer or whatever to the stream. So basically *everyone* that's on during is counted as a "viewer", even if they didn't even know there was a stream going on.

That's not true. They provide a link in the LoL client to the stream. You still must physically clink the link and watch the stream in a separate window. Simply having the client open does not count you towards watching the stream. Watching the stream counts you toward watching the stream.
Reply Quote
03/10/2012 04:39 PMPosted by Ghost
My opinion is that it is extremely inferior to Starcraft

You don't say?
Reply Quote
04/22/2012 02:23 PMPosted by Schwartzwald

That's not true. They provide a link in the LoL client to the stream. You still must physically clink the link and watch the stream in a separate window. Simply having the client open does not count you towards watching the stream. Watching the stream counts you toward watching the stream.

Is that how it works? I read it was my way.

Regardless, they still promote their tournaments a hell of a lot more than Blizzard does. As in, all Blizzard ever does is be like, "Hey guys there's a tournament at [MLG, Dreamhack, WCG, etc] coming up" and that's it.
Reply Quote
Hey everyone, who likes tacos? :-)
Reply Quote
there two completely different games and one is free.
Reply Quote
Ya'll know that i want some free tacos!!!
Reply Quote
oooooh come on! you cant compare starcraft 2 with LoL... LoL is a fun game a team game a fun game to play with your friends to crush other people have a good time and enjoy it... but lets be real.. you cant compare LoL to starcraft 2... one is MOBA the other is RTS and are genres that are so different.. obviusly RTS are harder and requires more skill than MOBAs... LOL is a game for lazy noobs that cant be good at starcrft2... and if you wonder why more poeple play LOL... its obvius... its free its easy to learn and is multiplayer... STARCRAFT 2 is so much better... requires gaming skills, chess strategies, multitaking ... LoL is a nintendo game compare to Sc2... funny but easy....
Reply Quote
i hope so.
Reply Quote
It's fun to see sub-master league players bash on LoL as a casual, no skill requiring game.

Just hope you realize that lower league SC2 players are absolutely cringe worthy in terms of strategy and mechanics. The mechanics required to reach platinium in LoL are actually as great as the mechanics required to reach high diamond/masters in SC2. Most people just don't realize it as they haven't played both games extensively as I did.
Reply Quote
09/16/2012 08:43 PMPosted by Nictimus
oooooh come on! you cant compare starcraft 2 with LoL... LoL is a fun game a team game a fun game to play with your friends to crush other people have a good time and enjoy it... but lets be real.. you cant compare LoL to starcraft 2... one is MOBA the other is RTS and are genres that are so different.. obviusly RTS are harder and requires more skill than MOBAs... LOL is a game for lazy noobs that cant be good at starcrft2... and if you wonder why more poeple play LOL... its obvius... its free its easy to learn and is multiplayer... STARCRAFT 2 is so much better... requires gaming skills, chess strategies, multitaking ... LoL is a nintendo game compare to Sc2... funny but easy....
why the writing proficiency is to be passed to graduate from my high school -_-
Reply Quote
I 100% agree with you that league of legends is a completely bad game. I also agree that Starcraft 2 an amazing game.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]