StarCraft® II

Your Favorite Programming Style

Any programmers here who would like to share their favorite programming language/paradigm?

My favorite language currently is Haskell because it's so different from the mainstream, plus lazy evaluation makes file IO much easier.
Reply Quote
I prefer C++ for most things, as that's what I first learned and am most comfortable with.
I might use Python or Lisp for any AI work I have to do, though, because I very much dislike AI.
Reply Quote
Java
Reply Quote

My favorite language currently is Haskell because it's so different from the mainstream, plus lazy evaluation makes file IO much easier.

Seriously? How hipster can someone get?

The only good programming "style" is X treme programming, where you just star writing code and disregard everything else.
Reply Quote
C++ but i can't judge other languages because i'm a noob at it and haven't tried any others
Reply Quote
Ada
Reply Quote
I lost my programming virginity to Java so it'll always have a place in my heart. But, I do enjoy python for its simplicity.
Reply Quote
Python!!

http://xkcd.com/353/
Reply Quote
Favorite languages would have to be Java and perl.
Least favorite, by far, any of the .net family of crap.
As for programming "style"? In the dark, in the quiet, with a pile of small rocks beside me that I can use to throw at people who interrupt me.
Reply Quote
Java, although I know relatively little seeing as all I know is what was taught in a high school computer lab.
Reply Quote
Perl, if it counts as a programming language (scripts?). Other wise C++.
Perl is the opposite of Python and the sole reason people differ in approaches.
I have a friend in math major will always use fortran if possible.
Reply Quote
Java, but only because that's the language I spent the most time with in classes while pursuing my CS degree. I wish I had learned C++ first to be forced to get a better understanding of low-level programming concepts (pointers, container implementations, memory allocation etc); in Java it's too easy to take these things for granted.
Reply Quote
For doing something random, I like python, but

Any programmers here who would like to share their favorite programming language/paradigm?

Pff Haskell is way too mainstream. I only code in brain!@#$. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain%^-* )

edit: it's so underground I can't even link to it
Edited by AlienAlias on 9/21/2012 9:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
MIPS baby oh yeah! nah assembly language is amazing to me to understand but scarey to use. I have to go with the conventional c++, I know java as well and the automatic garbage collecting and "everything is an object" concept is nice but I love the control you get from c++. So awsome someone mentioned Ada!!! This post was a nice change of pace.
Edited by vitalblast on 10/2/2012 3:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Haskell is awful in my opinion. When you do something wrong, you get cryptic error messages like "expected [some random character] on line 57", even though your file has only 56 lines.

My favorite language is probably C# right now, but I'm currently working in C++.
Java is also okay, but it lacks the ability to make pointers to methods, which is annoying.

I recently experimented with Lua, and I liked the syntax and soft types. However, I found that it was too slow for what I needed.
Reply Quote
About paradigm I humbly thing that OO is still at least a great solution (if not the best) to any programs need.

In regard of this C++ remain the most powerful tool but that tool real usefulness still need to be proven : C++ is probably not the right tool in 99% of it usage...

Java is the proof of "too many of good things is a bad thing". Java is awfully chaotic in implementation and among all the framework and tools needed to use it.

For a professional I think the best tools right now is C# (even if they have stupidly remove multiple inheritance). Linq is probably the greatest thing at the moment from this strain.

"New" language like ruby and python (with their great type system), DSL or functional language like Haskell are ok but I like at them like very specialize "pedagogic" tool.

Interesting thread :)

ps : From methodology perspective, "agile" methodology are those who need to be look at but once again they are tools. If for example you need to hit a schedule then an old waterfall method is still the tools to use and being "Agile" also mean recognize that.

pss : XP is probably the most stupid mean to develop software as it's a violent counter reaction to heavy waterfall project. I personally never heard about a XP project that goes well...
Reply Quote
Just a note :

I think that if we had to choose one language to be the only language this language should be javascript.

Just plain old javascript...

What do you think?
Reply Quote
C++ desktop applications
PHP for web applications (typically with FuelPHP framework).

OOP here (required by my job).
Edited by CSmith on 11/8/2012 5:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
I do a lot of Python now but I've written in all sorts of things scheme/lisp have kind of a special place because of my CS education but I'd rarely think of writing an application in it (although my institution purchased an app that is partially Lisp).

Agile vs. more traditional methodologies are probably best divided between the function of your code. For UI code using some kind of iterative approach simply makes sense most of the time we don't know what users want and users probably don't know what they want either. If you're working on something that needs a rigid implementation (i.e. game engine, API, etc...) then more traditional systems work best. Of course when a project is small, you can usually get away with just being iterative.

Javascript is actually an underrated language. I could easily teach a CS course just using Javascript.
Reply Quote
Just a note :
I think that if we had to choose one language to be the only language this language should be javascript.

You are nuts

CAML. Bonus points for anyone that actually has written something with it
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]