Piercing the Shroud

03/11/2012 10:51 PMPosted by PattPG
Hated:

Maw of the Void

Supernova
Reply Quote
I've enjoyed different missions to different degrees on different difficulties.

Pretty standard favorite mission for me on all difficulties was Outbreak. I thought it was such a fun and creative idea to have a "survive a zombie apocalypse" level. The whole night and day thing was very cool to me. Only sometimes was I bored when I had to wait another night because I couldn't finish up.

In terms of other missions, I really enjoyed The Devil's Playground, or any mission where I don't have to scramble to finish in a short amount of time.

The mission I hated the most was Engine of Destruction on Brutal. I feel like it coupled the smartest AI (the computer controlled terrans) with the absolute most retarded (Tychus controlled Odin). I swear to god Tychus would just let himself be wailed on by siege tanks or whatever other big guns they had while wasting his time blowing up individual marines. I was raging pretty hard at him.
Reply Quote
- SCII Technical Support
I truely like them all on Casual thru Hard. I like all brutal except Welcome to the Jungle and Engine of destruction. (never played All In Air so I can't count that one).

Those that dont like Train Robbery on brutal: bring siege tanks. 4 Breakers on the high ground of the west outcropping of your base (where the diamond back was) with hels angels hovering right behind them to take down the very few spotters, will whittle anything on the top two tracks... including wipe out the kill teams and all the direct attacks on your base. So little goes so far.

-After writing this, I decided to play Engine on brutal for the first time since originally beating it... and I killed it, no problem. Wasn't nearly as bad as I remember. So that just leaves Jungle on brutal as my only dislike!
Edited by Leviathan on 5/4/2012 9:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Adding Piercing the Shroud, Smash'n Grab and The Evacuation to my favorites.
Reply Quote
My faves [Insane]:

Outbreak (#1 in the campaign)
Breakout
Devil's Playground
(Attack the space platform)

The banes of my existance [Insane]:

IN UTTER DARKNESS
Welcome to the Jungle
Haven
Cutthroat
The Meobius Factor
Reply Quote

The banes of my existance [Insane]:

IN UTTER DARKNESS
Welcome to the Jungle
Haven
Cutthroat
The Meobius Factor

If you can keep at least one of the chokes blocked with cannons, UD is manageable.

Which Haven? Both?

Cutthroat is actually pretty easy if you go the Nuke route - and why wouldn't you?

I wouldn't say I'm fond of Moebius, but I don't remember it being particularly difficult.
Reply Quote
@DiamondDave

My real problem w/"UD" is that I've always felt the map was too big (of all things)... Too much running around...

Well, that and I've NEVER liked many of the missions that are timed in some way or another (i.e.: The Evacuation, Cutthroat, Engine of Destruction, The Meobius Factor...) - I like to have more time to savor the missions, should I chose to. (:D) I can understand "UD" being a timed mission and am cool w/that. I don't like the map size.

Haven... Good call, because I love Haven's Fall [Brutal] and don't like Safe Haven [Brutal]. Again, because I want to have the option to take my time, should I want to. I usually let all of the colonies fall in Haven's Fall so it becomes a more difficult version of Outbreak! xD

As for Cutthroat... Nukes ahoy!!!

Meobius Factor isn't too bad for just getting in and getting the job done, but I always ran into the dreaded, "Not Enough Minerals". (Hahahaha)
Reply Quote
05/06/2012 12:07 PMPosted by Sheppard
I've NEVER liked many of the missions that are timed in some way or another (i.e.: The Evacuation, Cutthroat, Engine of Destruction, The Meobius Factor...) - I like to have more time to savor the missions, should I chose to. (:D)

I pretty much agree. I like the missions that let me play at my own speed in case I want to do something wonky, like KILL THEM ALL!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ahem, sorry, I'm back.

05/06/2012 12:07 PMPosted by Sheppard
Haven... Good call, because I love Haven's Fall [Brutal] and don't like Safe Haven [Brutal]. Again, because I want to have the option to take my time, should I want to.

It's the tediousness of Safe Haven that bothers me. Does it have attack the same colonies again?

Meobius Factor isn't too bad for just getting in and getting the job done, but I always ran into the dreaded, "Not Enough Minerals". (Hahahaha)

Really? Do you use the expansion by the second Archive? Not that you should need to, but it's available. I think you just need to get moving faster. I actually use the stupid Hercules to get to the Brute.
Reply Quote
The thing about unlimited timed missions is that as time goes on, the mission itself seems to get easier.

I liked times missions, and even missions that arent timed, i try to beat them asap =)

The exceptions of course, are hold-out missions.
Reply Quote
05/07/2012 04:21 PMPosted by DiamondDave
Really? Do you use the expansion by the second Archive? Not that you should need to, but it's available. I think you just need to get moving faster. I actually use the stupid Hercules to get to the Brute.

You know... I never have. I've thought about it, but since there's no way to stop Kerrigan, I've never bothered with it.

05/07/2012 04:21 PMPosted by DiamondDave
I like the missions that let me play at my own speed in case I want to do something wonky, like KILL THEM ALL!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I completely understand your perspective.

xD

@Brathearon...
You rock, dude.
(...If there's a mission that I don't care to play, then yeah, I'll abuse any expediter I can to swift-through the mission, but I have that old-school bone of feeling compelled to explore every inch of the mission map until it's all been revealed... )
:D
Reply Quote
I'm surprised everyone hated Maw of the Void so much...

The ones I hated the most:

- In Utter Darkness: Hard and Brutal were nasty, but I don't even like playing this one on normal
- Welcome to the Jungle: I had very few upgrades on this one the first time I played it, so it sucked

And my favorites:
- Zero Hour: I really just love this damn mission... I've even managed to kill all eight hatcheries on Hard mode. Not sure if that's possible on Brutal or not
- Shatter the Sky: Building a gigantic Zerg army is just good fun...
- Maw of the Void: I just really like battlecruisers
Reply Quote
faves: any mission i can just spam spectres/wraiths, then play it like a zeratul mission, along with breakout/the dig
hates: gates of hell, bel-shir,
i loath welcome to the jungle, esp. since the mission after it is breakout, one of my faves. whenever i would try to take the last gyser, the toss air army would suddenly become inexhaustable, and my small force of goliaths would fall.
Edited by ZergBioMech on 7/28/2012 8:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
A few tips for In utter darkness and the mobeus factor:

For utter darkness try walling off your entrances with dark Templar in hold position and sniping the detectors that come after 700~ kills. You'll have to fall back eventually but by then you should have a large enough air force to mop up. Five warp gates is all you need for the Templar, start on the leftish entrance and use your starting force to defend the front/first entrance (start pumping void rays once you get them and some phoenixes) Definitely one of my least favorite missions thought.

For the mobeus factor try to have Hercules dropships, they make it so much easier to just pop in and out in a good position, wasn't a problem for me. Ironically this was one of the only timed missions I liked.

Engine of destruction... yuck.

Welcome to the jungle was pretty bad but stimmed marines with some marauders and medics worked wonders (goliaths can't be upped, don't use them), another mission I didn't really like.

I think I liked breakout the most out of the entire campaign, along with outbreak and the devils playground.
Edited by rebuke on 7/20/2012 3:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
On Brutal (so easy a silver can do it.)
Favorites:
Zeratul missions
Cutthroat
Devil's Playground
Media Blitz

Hated:
Engine of Destruction
Welcome to the Jungle (my perfectionism keeps making me lose)
All In
Supernova
Great Train Robbery
The Dig
Reply Quote
I don;t really have any favorites, But i pretty much hate all of them. But that may just be because I am playing on brutal. I do Like Zeratul's first mission. And I like my run of "Haven's fall" Mainly because i massed ghosts. Man ghosts are so much fun. "SNIPE SNIPE SNIPE"

I do however have a truly hated mission "The Dig"
Regardless of what i do I cannot beat it (on brutal). I hate the dig.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]