StarCraft® II

How do I increase my APM?

I know this is the Protoss forum but I always read here and I find the people in this forum most helpful. Also, since I play Protoss 1v1, there might be some Protoss-exclusive APM insights :).

I am stuck in high diamond and I feel like my game sense is at or above many masters' level. However, when I play, I just don't have time to do everything. I average about 55 APM WITH SPAM and it's really annoying to go against random players with 200+ APM on ladder. I know what I should do to shut them down but I have no time. While I know spamming 300 APM is mostly useless, but in games, there are 5 things in my brain that needs to be done but I cannot do it because I do not have actions. I know that I can improve without improving my APM but it will help still to be able to do everything I'm thinking. I don't want to become LosirA, I think around 100 APM is all I need to execute everything I want.
Edited by aHa on 4/2/2012 12:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
When trying to increase APM, its better to think of the specific actions that you're not doing, rather than trying to think of what to do more of.

I'll try to make it a little more clear through example. When you finish playing a game and watch the replay, there will be at least ONE thing you didn't do that cause either a macro or a micro slip up. It could have been forgetting to warp in units during an engagement, or chronoing your upgrades properly. Who knows.

The important thing is that you focus on that really specific thing that you DIDN'T do, and write it down somewhere. On paper, in your mind, whatever floats your boat.

Then the next game you play, make sure you're doing THAT ONE THING. You're game will have improve incrementally.

Over many games of going through this process you'll find that your APM will have increased naturally.

Hopefully this helped.

P.S. I float 2K minerals every game and I'm in mid masters. I'm not talking about like 20 minute mark maxed army float. I'm talking about the 10-15 minute mark lol. Goes to show that APM takes a second place to strategy.
Reply Quote
Here's basically how it works:

1) Practice a build
2) The macro portion of the build eventually gets built into muscle memory
3) The APM you used to use to macro is mostly freed up for other things
4) you use that APM and work on your micro
5) Certain aspects of your micro get built into muscle memory
6) Some of the APM you used to use for micro is free'd up
7) You do more/new macro and micro with the APM

Eventually you just have more free APM to do stuff when you're acquainted with the build you're doing. That's why even pros need to practice specific builds over and over before matches; to get as much of the micro/macro of the specific build memorized as a reflex to free up APM for adapting/reacting.
Reply Quote
lol just play more games, my apm went from 180 to 215+ just by playing a lot and watching a lot of streams
Reply Quote
Watch that daily on the secrets of apm... I don't usually think day9 is that helpful but that one episode is really good. I spent an hour just practicing my opening yesterday over and over, while trying to move around units and spread creep. By my last try I was maxed at 11:50 and had creep covering half of metalopolis. I've never done near that well before, on ladder or not. It also really helped me with reactions a lot since I was trying to constantly keep all my units moving. If you just do this like a half hour a day I bet you would get very obvious improvements.
Reply Quote
I think another important thing that Day9 touches on in one of his dailies for newbies that stuck out in my mind when picking up the game recently is wasted actions. A lot of players assume that spam clicking stuff and hitting a lot of buttons increases apm.

While yes, technically speaking it does increase APM, it's just not effective. One thing that helps me is to think of the simplest ways to do things without wasting actions. For example, I put production facilities like Nexus, Robo and Stargate on my mouse's thumb buttons so I can quickly combo them with the unit I want to build on the keyboard with my left hand. Simple and effective.

Cutting out the BS actions and working on accuracy will help you increase your effective apm and give you the good habits that will keep gradually increasing your APM as you practice more and more.
Reply Quote
^ Day[9] ftw =D

im proud Bronzie working my way out of the woods but im starting to cruise @ 50 apm once im on a 2 base when i 1 rax expand =D im a bad case of rage when losing but meh

Work on it dude!
Reply Quote
It is widely believed that the only way to increase apm is through consistent practice and repetition. The more you do things, the faster you will be able to do them.
Reply Quote
Best advice I can give is to just play faster then your used to, I believe day9 did a daily on this topic in one of his newbie tuesday's if you'd like to look that up. (I want to say it's the first newbie tuesday but not 100% on that)

From my own experience consistent practice and working on multitasking has made my apm skyrocket. Two weeks ago I was at about 130 apm in most of my games. Then I started making a focused effort on improving my multitasking and now i'm consistently in the 200's.

Good luck
Reply Quote
Spamming in the beginning of the game every game helps a lot like the pros(everyone does it) do. Just play a lot and after time your apm should increase for me I've played lots of videogames before so it was easier for me to hit 200+apm.
Reply Quote
I think another important thing that Day9 touches on in one of his dailies for newbies that stuck out in my mind when picking up the game recently is wasted actions. A lot of players assume that spam clicking stuff and hitting a lot of buttons increases apm.

While yes, technically speaking it does increase APM, it's just not effective. One thing that helps me is to think of the simplest ways to do things without wasting actions. For example, I put production facilities like Nexus, Robo and Stargate on my mouse's thumb buttons so I can quickly combo them with the unit I want to build on the keyboard with my left hand. Simple and effective.

Cutting out the BS actions and working on accuracy will help you increase your effective apm and give you the good habits that will keep gradually increasing your APM as you practice more and more.

actually if you want to literally increase apm, effective or not, you just spam all game long
i plan on doing this once the summer starts
because once you have the raw spamming apm down, you have the speed to start using that apm effectively

there's a huge guide on TL that i thought was a great read
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=319876
take a look, its very detailed and well written
Reply Quote
I increased my APM through this game
- http://osu.ppy.sh/
It's called OSU and it is a game where you constantly have to hit beats to earn points and get the high score.

Gameplay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkzLWcwn3xw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bLiQUdbErk&feature=fvsr
Reply Quote
I increased my APM through this game
- http://osu.ppy.sh/
It's called OSU and it is a game where you constantly have to hit beats to earn points and get the high score.

Gameplay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkzLWcwn3xw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bLiQUdbErk&feature=fvsr

lol its elite beat agents xD

so i get this could help with mouse control and precision...
but how does this help with apm?
most apm is off the keyboard
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]