StarCraft® II

My Little Pony

Am i the only one who doesn't understand the fascination with this show?

I mean, seriously, talking ponies? Last time i checked the show isn't intended for adults.
Reply Quote
you are assuming that most of the forum posters are adults...
Reply Quote
By the age of 18, then yes I am. Isn't it fact that the average age for people on these forums is at LEAST 18?
Reply Quote
ah but you gotta remember that even though the average is 18 most of the people will be above or below that number...and judging by the quality of forum posts i would say that most of them (posters) are below 18...
Reply Quote
You are absolutely right in that regard. I shouldn't expect anything better from some of these posters. They sure do act like they're below 18. Good point.
Reply Quote
“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”
― C.S. Lewis

Just because something isn't 'intended' for adults doesn't mean an adult cannot enjoy it.
Reply Quote
I like the quote but there comes and time and place where you should put down the dolls and action figures and move on to bigger and better things. Things that aren't geared toward babies. In this case, My Little Pony.
Reply Quote
04/03/2012 02:27 PMPosted by Umbrella
I like the quote but there comes and time and place where you should put down the dolls and action figures and move on to bigger and better things. Things that aren't geared toward babies. In this case, My Little Pony.

On the contrary, it is not geared toward babies. If you watched a couple episodes you would see there's a lot an adult can find appealing, including great animation and voice acting, solid writing, and interesting plots and characters.
And even if it were, why must we move on to 'bigger and better things', if we still find certain childish things enjoyable? What makes watching, say, Game of Thrones (great show btw) any more acceptable than watching My Little Pony?
Reply Quote
One can say that about ANY show? Obviously if it is as popular as it is, it should have great effects, animations, voice acting, etc, or else it wouldn't be so popular.

I've never seen Game of Thrones by the way so I can't judge it. Shows like My Little Pony are associated with little children just like Legos or Bionicles are with little kids. Just because a show has great effects and animations or plot lines doesn't make it suited for adults. There's a reason the developers made the show look extremely appealing, obviously they want little kids to have a heck of a time watching it. They want kids to be entertained so they have no choice but to make it that way.
Reply Quote
Who's to say what is and isn't suited for adults? Yes a kid will like the animations and be entertained, but an adult can also look at the interesting plots and the well developed characters, which is more than I can say for a lot of Micheal Bay films, which ironically are geared toward adults. Your whole argument appears to be "good for kids = bad for adults" which frankly isn't true. Is C.S. Lewis a lesser person for openly reading fairy tales?
You mention Lego as an example of something that adults shouldn't enjoy. I'd direct you to http://brickartist.com/ the website of a grown man who makes his living building with Lego. Again, this is a case where either age group likes something for different reasons but are both able to enjoy it equally regardless of age.
I'd also like to mention Disney films. There are tons of grown people who still love to watch and even collect Disney films, and yet they're also made for kids. Are you saying that they are somehow lesser people for enjoying this art?
You say that good animation and plot lines don't make a show suited for adults, but you fail to mention what does. Without taking into account what the makers of a show tell you it's geared toward, what exactly is the criteria for a work being 'suited' for adults?
Reply Quote
Who's to say what is and isn't suited for adults? Yes a kid will like the animations and be entertained, but an adult can also look at the interesting plots and the well developed characters, which is more than I can say for a lot of Micheal Bay films, which ironically are geared toward adults. Your whole argument appears to be "good for kids = bad for adults" which frankly isn't true. Is C.S. Lewis a lesser person for openly reading fairy tales?
You mention Lego as an example of something that adults shouldn't enjoy. I'd direct you to http://brickartist.com/ the website of a grown man who makes his living building with Lego. Again, this is a case where either age group likes something for different reasons but are both able to enjoy it equally regardless of age.
I'd also like to mention Disney films. There are tons of grown people who still love to watch and even collect Disney films, and yet they're also made for kids. Are you saying that they are somehow lesser people for enjoying this art?
You say that good animation and plot lines don't make a show suited for adults, but you fail to mention what does. Without taking into account what the makers of a show tell you it's geared toward, what exactly is the criteria for a work being 'suited' for adults?

I'm not familiar with C.S. Lewis and what he does but if I read fairy tales in the open I would think something is wrong with me. I would also be a just a little embarrassed. That's just me though.

As for the grown man making a living off legos, if he's making money off what he does then isn't that a bigger reason to keep doing it for him? Would he keep doing it if he wasn't getting paid? Money is a big magnet for most people, that has become very blatant.

I have watched a FEW Disney movies as a child. I have enjoyed maybe three at most. If grown adults want to spend their time and waste their money (Yes, I believe buying dozens of Disney movies is a complete waste. In fact, buying any movie unless it's a favorite is stupid. Why buy a movie you will watch once and then let it gather dust? There goes 15 bucks.) I'm not gonna as far as to say grown adults who watch Disney movies are lesser people but... yeah, I understand the concept of reminiscing about your childhood but some people have a problem with living in the past and not growing up. It's also easier to judge someone's intelligence based off the things they enjoy. For example, the crowd I went to high school with is into My Little Pony. Half of them are also under the influence, pregnant, alcoholics and simply plain idiotic. They also aren't in school. Oh, and they act incredibly stupid. (can't really explain it through text but basically, you can tell they're operating with half a brain) Enjoying things like Disney movies doesn't make you a lesser person but it can indicate that you are living in the past. Watching one or two that you loved as a child doesn't indicate this but if it's a routine then that can be debated otherwise.

A show intended for adults uses more advanced vocabulary SUITED for older audiences. A show intended for adults doesn't have magical, vibrant, talking ponies? There's a reason why the show was developed for pre-teens. You say the show has interesting plot lines, etc. From what I read, one of the biggest premises of the show centers around friendship. Ask yourself this: Does a 20 year old need to listen to magical ponies talking about friendships and solving problems? The content, animation, scheme, and premise of the show indicates it is strictly for children. I don't even need to watch an episode, wikipedia provides sufficient information.
Reply Quote
04/05/2012 01:57 PMPosted by Zandakar

Should I stop playing video games just because I'm in my mid twenties? Since you feel you can so freely deterimine how I should spend my time what should I do instead?

If the video game educates you and stimulates your mind, there should be no reason to stop playing it. And please don't tell me anything in a show or video game like My Little Pony stimulates your mind because, realistically, your average individual is already more than familiar with the content provided in MLP.

If you're actually learning something new from this show then Elementary school must have not gone so well....
Reply Quote
I'm not familiar with C.S. Lewis and what he does but if I read fairy tales in the open I would think something is wrong with me. I would also be a just a little embarrassed. That's just me though.

He was a very successful and intelligent author. He wrote The Chronicles of Narnia and his books have sold millions of copies world wide. But since he openly read fairy tales, that means there was something wrong with him?

04/06/2012 12:55 AMPosted by Umbrella
It's also easier to judge someone's intelligence based off the things they enjoy.

I strongly disagree with that assertion. What someone enjoys in their leisure time has very little bearing on that person's intelligence, if any.

For example, the crowd I went to high school with is into My Little Pony. Half of them are also under the influence, pregnant, alcoholics and simply plain idiotic. They also aren't in school. Oh, and they act incredibly stupid. (can't really explain it through text but basically, you can tell they're operating with half a brain) Enjoying things like Disney movies doesn't make you a lesser person but it can indicate that you are living in the past. Watching one or two that you loved as a child doesn't indicate this but if it's a routine then that can be debated otherwise.

By the same token, I can say that some of the smartest people I know watch My Little Pony, including my fiance, who's studying to be a vet. I could also say that some very successful people have said they watched MY Little Pony, including Gabe Newell, co-founder of Valve. I hope you're not saying that Gabe Newell is living in the past, or is somehow an idiot.

You say the show has interesting plot lines, etc. From what I read, one of the biggest premises of the show centers around friendship. Ask yourself this: Does a 20 year old need to listen to magical ponies talking about friendships and solving problems?

In order to be entertained by a show, I don't necessarily have to learn something from it. The lessons about friendship and such are there for the younger audience, where, as I said, the older audience can enjoy the well developed characters and plot lines, and the great animation and writing.
When I watch an action movie like Die Hard, or even a fantasy like Lord of the Rings, do I go in expecting to learn some important life lessons? No, I want to be entertained. The same can be said for MLP. But that certainly doesn't make the movie/show unsuitable for adults.
This goes for your last post as well.

I don't even need to watch an episode, wikipedia provides sufficient information.

Then you've already condemned it without even giving it a chance. I'm not sure why you're even posting this thread since you seem to already have made up your mind.
Reply Quote
To sum up your enitire p

04/06/2012 04:21 AMPosted by IAreLemons

He was a very successful and intelligent author. He wrote The Chronicles of Narnia and his books have sold millions of copies world wide. But since he openly read fairy tales, that means there was something wrong with him?

It's also easier to judge someone's intelligence based off the things they enjoy.

I strongly disagree with that assertion. What someone enjoys in their leisure time has very little bearing on that person's intelligence, if any.

For example, the crowd I went to high school with is into My Little Pony. Half of them are also under the influence, pregnant, alcoholics and simply plain idiotic. They also aren't in school. Oh, and they act incredibly stupid. (can't really explain it through text but basically, you can tell they're operating with half a brain) Enjoying things like Disney movies doesn't make you a lesser person but it can indicate that you are living in the past. Watching one or two that you loved as a child doesn't indicate this but if it's a routine then that can be debated otherwise.

By the same token, I can say that some of the smartest people I know watch My Little Pony, including my fiance, who's studying to be a vet. I could also say that some very successful people have said they watched MY Little Pony, including Gabe Newell, co-founder of Valve. I hope you're not saying that Gabe Newell is living in the past, or is somehow an idiot.

You say the show has interesting plot lines, etc. From what I read, one of the biggest premises of the show centers around friendship. Ask yourself this: Does a 20 year old need to listen to magical ponies talking about friendships and solving problems?

In order to be entertained by a show, I don't necessarily have to learn something from it. The lessons about friendship and such are there for the younger audience, where, as I said, the older audience can enjoy the well developed characters and plot lines, and the great animation and writing.
When I watch an action movie like Die Hard, or even a fantasy like Lord of the Rings, do I go in expecting to learn some important life lessons? No, I want to be entertained. The same can be said for MLP. But that certainly doesn't make the movie/show unsuitable for adults.

I don't even need to watch an episode, wikipedia provides sufficient information.

Then you've already condemned it without even giving it a chance. I'm not sure why you're even posting this thread since you seem to already have made up your mind.

To sum up your entire post, I guess it depends on how you were raised and the people you grew up with. Unfortunately for me I grew up surrounded by many, many losers in a very, very trashy city. And I have every right to say this because I have experienced multiple cultures for years at a time. The people I grew up with were so easily judged not by what they watched exactly, but how they reflected their behaviors. KNOWING what they enjoy doing in their leisure time only solidified the fact that they're, without a doubt, some of the biggest idiots I've ever encountered. A lot of it comes down to how you were raised and the people you were unfortunately forced to deal with (Middle & High School). For example, I wasn't raised on Disney movies.

Although I did watch few cartoons when we finally got a TV in the house back when I was extremely young. That too plays an important role. I guess what I'm basing my argument off of is that all of the people I know that watch MLP ARE, in fact, major losers. I have confirmed that years ago. Also, the fact that many people watch the show simply because others do, as if it's a trend... which I can completely understand and see.
Reply Quote
To sum up your enitire p

04/06/2012 04:21 AMPosted by IAreLemons

To sum up your entire post, I guess it depends on how you were raised and the people you grew up with. Unfortunately for me I grew up surrounded by many, many losers in a very, very trashy city. And I have every right to say this because I have experienced multiple cultures for years at a time. The people I grew up with were so easily judged not by what they watched exactly, but how they reflected their behaviors. KNOWING what they enjoy doing in their leisure time only solidified the fact that they're, without a doubt, some of the biggest idiots I've ever encountered. A lot of it comes down to how you were raised and the people you were unfortunately forced to deal with (Middle & High School). For example, I wasn't raised on Disney movies.

Although I did watch few cartoons when we finally got a TV in the house back when I was extremely young. That too plays an important role. I guess what I'm basing my argument off of is that all of the people I know that watch MLP ARE, in fact, major losers. I have confirmed that years ago. Also, the fact that many people watch the show simply because others do, as if it's a trend... which I can completely understand and see.
Reply Quote
I understand where you're coming from, but just because a certain group of people likes a show (in this case, 'major losers'), doesn't mean that everyone else that watches it fits into that group. Plus, you can't really say that the only people you've met that watched MLP were losers, since it sounds like the only people you've met at all were mostly losers, so you can't compare to non-losers. I know there's a better way to word that, but you get the point.
As for the people that are hopping on the bandwagon just because it's trendy, there are people like that with everything that gets popular. Yes they're annoying, but you certainly shouldn't discount a show because of some hipsters.
Reply Quote
I don't recall ever saying everyone who watches the show is a major loser. What I did say is that everyone I do know that watches it is one. It's obvious that there are some people that watch it and aren't losers but in my case, I happened to run into all of them. It's not just because they went to my high school, but also because my high school has a poor reputation when it comes to academics and so on. You are able to tell the intelligent kids apart from the kids who were dropped on their head a few times when they were young. I agree that there are people who hop on the bandwagon and that there also people who genuinely enjoy something but where I went to school, I guarantee you it's a big trend. I know this because I used to be friends with some of the people there. To gain acceptance into a group, some people are actually rude enough to require you to love/like something they do even if you never planned on liking it before.
Reply Quote
04/02/2012 03:58 PMPosted by Umbrella
By the age of 18, then yes I am. Isn't it fact that the average age for people on these forums is at LEAST 18?

False.

I'm 14.

But I don't watch my little pony.
Edited by bjpiersII on 4/11/2012 6:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Well I just think it's funny that people dub epic trailers with the show.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]