StarCraft® II

Matchmaking Changes Have Been Reverted

Community Manager
We previously announced that we intended to “loosen” the range of opponents chosen in matchmaking, causing the game to occasionally match opponents that were a bit more disparate from one another in skill than before. This change was carried out, we have carefully evaluated the results we’re seeing, and we have decided to roll back the change for now.

What we saw with this experiment were undesirable consequences for players at the far ends of the range of skill, and we have now returned to the previous matchmaker tuning -- settings that were in use for a long time before this trial. Nonetheless, we may make further adjustments to the matchmaker in the future.

Thank you very much for your participation and feedback on this!
Edited by Kaivax on 4/12/2012 12:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
:(
Reply Quote
Always good to see Blizzard listening. ^-^
Reply Quote
dang I was having fun going against high silver might get promoted then. :D
Reply Quote
Well that was fast.
Reply Quote
That lasted...what...2 days?
Reply Quote
Care to elaborate what "undesirable consequences for players at the far ends of the range of skill" means?
Reply Quote
Reverted too Soon™? :D
Reply Quote
awww, i was enjoying it.
Reply Quote
As much fun as steamrolling lower level players was for the day, it wasn't helping me become a better player. If anything it encouraged me to do things that were too risky, because they worked on players who aren't as good as I am. Not that I'm "that" good, by any means.

I do understand why it was worth trying the changes though. Even if it didn't work as well as planned, it was a good idea methinks.
Reply Quote
04/12/2012 12:33 PMPosted by mDuo
Care to elaborate what "undesirable consequences for players at the far ends of the range of skill" means?

I would have to say it means the very worst players were getting matched up with people who were much better than them but never against people who were worse.

At the other end of the spectrum players at the top of the MMR are now facing an even lower quality of opponents. For example I know the first day it was released Idra kind of spoke out against it because the people he was facing on ladder were even further from his skill level than the people he normally faced so the games were basically pointless.

As much fun as steamrolling lower level players was for the day, it wasn't helping me become a better player. If anything it encouraged me to do things that were too risky, because they worked on players who aren't as good as I am. Not that I'm "that" good, by any means.

I do understand why it was worth trying the changes though. Even if it didn't work as well as planned, it was a good idea methinks.

Well getting steamrolled by people better than you should help you become a better player than playing against people your level, because then you learn what types of things you can't get away with and you get better examples to model yourself after.
Edited by Zoidberg on 4/12/2012 12:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
It was a good idea, and seeing it redone with some more work would be awesome, but what it did wasn't really all that great.
Reply Quote
i'd loose one game only, and because the guy cheese/all-win me.

to soon to change the system again.
Reply Quote
I liked that change, I hope they reconsider. I learn a lot playing against masters players in custom games, and it would be nice if ladder presented the same opportunities some times.
Reply Quote
04/12/2012 12:43 PMPosted by Mercy
I liked that change, I hope they reconsider. I learn a lot playing against masters players in custom games, and it would be nice if ladder presented the same opportunities some times.

I think everyone but bronze/GMs liked the change, but the fact that it is having a negative effect on these players is reason enough to change it back given how the old system was fine.
Reply Quote
Thank you idra, haven't played yet but it sounded awful <3.
Reply Quote
grandmaster level people facing easy people for them
Reply Quote
The changes kinda made the ladder feel willy-nilly to me. As fun as it can be to occasionally get to stomp someone not quite as good as you, it's not quite as fun when you don't know that's what you're doing:

"Well, I suppose I should poke at my opponents ramp to see what's going on and remind them I'm around. Opponents forces evaporate. Oh. Well, okay then."
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]