StarCraft® II

Matchmaking Changes Have Been Reverted

I am so glad it is reverted. I don't know if it's bad luck or what but a majority of the time you fight favored or slightly favored and in very few games do you play as favored.

What I started to see was a bunch of noobs leaving games as soon as the game started just because the other team was favored. And it was really hard to move up/down on the ladder when every game you're either winning few points because you're favored, or losing few points because they're favored.
Reply Quote
That's good. The change was really giving me a hard time trying to get to Masters. I was nearly there then got like 10 games where I was favored in a row, and even if I lose 4 of those I'm still going to be equal in mmr, i.e. It was making it impossible for me to get promoted since I need to beat equal or higher mmr players to get promoted.
Reply Quote
That's disappointing.
Reply Quote
Wow this is actually worth a forum post... good stuff.
Reply Quote
Thank god I'm not going to lose to cheese and get -23 points again by losing to a plat.
Reply Quote
The only game I've played with the extended range was against a Gold who was 'slightly favored' and played well in my opinion. Not sure what to make of it.
Reply Quote
04/12/2012 12:38 PMPosted by Zoidberg
Care to elaborate what "undesirable consequences for players at the far ends of the range of skill" means?

I would have to say it means the very worst players were getting matched up with people who were much better than them but never against people who were worse.

At the other end of the spectrum players at the top of the MMR are now facing an even lower quality of opponents. For example I know the first day it was released Idra kind of spoke out against it because the people he was facing on ladder were even further from his skill level than the people he normally faced so the games were basically pointless.

As much fun as steamrolling lower level players was for the day, it wasn't helping me become a better player. If anything it encouraged me to do things that were too risky, because they worked on players who aren't as good as I am. Not that I'm "that" good, by any means.

I do understand why it was worth trying the changes though. Even if it didn't work as well as planned, it was a good idea methinks.

Well getting steamrolled by people better than you should help you become a better player than playing against people your level, because then you learn what types of things you can't get away with and you get better examples to model yourself after.

The two ends of the spectrum thing refers to the fact that Grandmaster players will often get midrange master opponents found long before another equal player. And Bronze players will get higher level players long before they get any close matches.
Reply Quote
ty, good "revert"
Reply Quote
Actually this would have helped for quicker promotions. Thanks .. I have to play again the full season ...
Reply Quote
Slight relief... now I don't get random silver/bronze teammates up at the Master's League that I have to carry xD
Reply Quote
I liked the changes... Me and my friend in Silver league 2s beat a couple top 8 Platinum teams... It was fun while it lasted.
Reply Quote
yeh!
Reply Quote
I am so glad it is reverted. I don't know if it's bad luck or what but a majority of the time you fight favored or slightly favored and in very few games do you play as favored.

What I started to see was a bunch of noobs leaving games as soon as the game started just because the other team was favored. And it was really hard to move up/down on the ladder when every game you're either winning few points because you're favored, or losing few points because they're favored.

At the beginning of the season, the opponent is ALWAYS favored. For both sides. That way, if you win you get a lot of points. If you lose, you lose almost nothing. It's like this until your points match up to your MMR. Has nothing to do with the change.
Reply Quote
I played six matches under this system - some against favored opponents - won them all, and it wasn't even close. I was playing against people so bad I couldn't imagine how they got out of gold, much less into diamond.

Then again I just played ANOTHER guy like that this morning. Maybe Blizzard really wants to see me make it into Masters.
Reply Quote
I was happy that this got reverted because I was ONLY getting matched against players that were either 'favored' or 'slightly favored', they would steam roll me, and turn out to be either high gold or mid platinum. It was extremely frustrating.

Then I won a couple against golds. Fluke? Well, I've played 6 games since the system got reverted back, all against high silver (sigh... I know 'high silver' is an oxy-moron :), and won EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM. They didn't even seem like close games. Getting to play those better players obviously helps to pick up your game. Painful as it may seem at the time.
Reply Quote
At first I didn’t like the change because I was being paired with a lot of Gold players (im plat). Later on I was paired with Diamond players which helped improve my game. I like being able to compare myself to higher skilled players. I think it is good to be paired up with someone much better to help improve. Then when you on a losing slump, some low ones help boost your confidence. I liked it over all.
Reply Quote
Darn, I liked getting 20 points for a win and only losing 4 points for a loss.
Reply Quote
04/13/2012 07:10 AMPosted by Taishou
At first I didn’t like the change because I was being paired with a lot of Gold players (im plat). Later on I was paired with Diamond players which helped improve my game. I like being able to compare myself to higher skilled players. I think it is good to be paired up with someone much better to help improve. Then when you on a losing slump, some low ones help boost your confidence. I liked it over all.

Yeah but the bronze players were getting #*%%d most of the time and the GM were %**#!# other people most of the time. It worked well for everyone in the middle (silver, gold, plat, diamond etc) but the people at the 2 ends were really suffering by having no close games excpet the few against people their rank.
Reply Quote
04/13/2012 07:28 AMPosted by Jeremie
Yeah but the bronze players were getting #*%%d most of the time and the GM were %**#!# other people most of the time. It worked well for everyone in the middle (silver, gold, plat, diamond etc) but the people at the 2 ends were really suffering by having no close games excpet the few against people their rank.

Nah, we in the middle leagues were getting !@#$ed too. I went up again 5 low-mid silvers and two mid plats during the new system, and either stomped or got stomped. I'm gonna go through and watch those plat replays, but getting stomped every game? No bueno.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]