StarCraft® II

Mass Recall is like a broken pencil

Pointless.

Motherships move slowly so there's no point to using recall offensively.

Using it as an escape for attacking units is a waste of the one mothership you can get.

So not useless, underpowered or anything like that but.........pointless.
Reply Quote
Pointless.

Using it as an escape for attacking units is a waste of the one mothership you can get.

So not useless, underpowered or anything like that but.........pointless.

its situational
kinda like auto turret is for raven
its there if you need it
but pdd/vortex are just better in most cases
Reply Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9501cCyYII

/thread
Reply Quote
You're crazy if you don't think defensive recall is amazing. Your deathball then can be in two places... In pvz so I can snipe a hatch with my ENTIRE army and have my army and base be entirely safe.

Offensively, its really useful when I have 4 carriers hanging out at home with a handful of units and suddenly want them immediately out on the field.

Mass recall is so good I'm really hesitant to even take it out in the field at times. Vortex is just as situational and mama is an easy target so far from home. Having it alive when you want to defend something big can be huge. Or, it negates any possible bad situation your army might get into on the field. Your slow ball gets sandwiched? NP. Run into something unexpected? NP--go home and prepare a little longer.
Reply Quote
You're crazy if you don't think defensive recall is amazing. Your deathball then can be in two places...
How is a death ball defensive?
Reply Quote
It's not pointless, this thread is though. Because it is very good for hit and run tactics.

It's best used to recall back to your base genius, not the other way around.

I think made myself clear on that point.
04/19/2012 03:01 AMPosted by Quirriff

I'm not saying defensive recalls are useless....I'm saying they're wasteful...you end up not using the Mothership to its full potential that way.

It's like getting a car and all you do with it is clean it and show it off to your friends.....and never actually use it because you're afraid a speck of dirt might ruin it.
Reply Quote
04/20/2012 05:25 AMPosted by Quirriff
It's like getting a car and all you do with it is clean it and show it off to your friends.....and never actually use it because you're afraid a speck of dirt might ruin it.

Actually, it's more like getting a car, taking a bus to work, and then using the car to teleport yourself directly from your office to your house, bypassing rush-hour traffic.
Reply Quote
You know what I meant......But I liked your response anyway.

Using the mothership for defensive recalls is nearly-risk free for the mothership but you don't get much use out of your costly investment.
Edited by Quirriff on 4/20/2012 5:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
04/20/2012 05:51 AMPosted by TechNo
So if I kill a zergs main mining base, and recall my army before he can respond, while still having one vortex left in case of an attack, I was wasteful? Really? That's logcial to your slow mind?

Yes, you were wasteful...why not let your mothership tag along and take advantage of it's cloaking field and vortex to destroy your opponents army when they arrive too late.

Even if you loose the mothership in the end you loose a 400/400 unit, while your opponent likely lost his entire army! Not just a mining base

A very profitable trade and far from wasteful.
Edited by Quirriff on 4/20/2012 6:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
So if I kill a zergs main mining base, and recall my army before he can respond, while still having one vortex left in case of an attack, I was wasteful? Really? That's logcial to your slow mind?

Yes, you were wasteful...why not let your mothership tag along and take advantage of it's cloaking field and vortex to destroy your opponents army when they arrive too late.

Even if you loose the mothership in the end you loose a 400/400 unit, while your opponent likely lost his entire army! Not just a mining base

A very profitable trade and far from wasteful.

Because that late in the game my opponent has detectors and vortex was useless compared to recall given our army comps. I like to go carrier heavy so vortex would only limit me offensively or provide a crappy escape. When a zerg sees that army they want to suicide corruptors into any air unit they can to prevent you from hitting a critical mass and steam rolling the map.

My use? My army kills what it wants at little loss and every battle is on my terms. You'd be surprised at how often and easily you can recall to regroup. Each time I replenish my ground army and add more carriers. And, my base is never vulnerable and my attack is always deadly. You can argue my base wouldn't be as wide open if I didn't focus on slow-!@# carriers... but honestly, toss is immobile all-around.

Your use (granted I view it through the lens of my situation)? A tank that dies quickly and takes forever to rebuild.

Archon toilets can be nice, but there are other great uses, too.

Mama is happy chillin' with her wall of cannons and gateways while my deathball disassembles the zerg empire.
Edited by JohnnyDanger on 4/20/2012 5:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Where's that one game where Kiwikaki snipes... 3 hatcheries?

Can someone give me the link to that?
Reply Quote
Skip to 19min ish mass recall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9501cCyYII
Reply Quote
[quote]
Because that late in the game my opponent has detectors and vortex was useless compared to recall given our army comps. I like to go carrier heavy so vortex would only limit me offensively or provide a crappy escape. When a zerg sees that army they want to suicide corruptors into any air unit they can to prevent you from hitting a critical mass and steam rolling the map.

My use? My army kills what it wants at little loss and every battle is on my terms. You'd be surprised at how often and easily you can recall to regroup. Each time I replenish my ground army and add more carriers. And, my base is never vulnerable and my attack is always deadly. You can argue my base wouldn't be as wide open if I didn't focus on slow-!@# carriers... but honestly, toss is immobile all-around.

Your use (granted I view it through the lens of my situation)? A tank that dies quickly and takes forever to rebuild.

Archon toilets can be nice, but there are other great uses, too.

Mama is happy chillin' with her wall of cannons and gateways while my deathball disassembles the zerg empire.

Admittedly I accept that the mothership can be a defensive powerhouse with cloaked photon cannons, and vortexing chokepoints in defence can be pretty amazing since once I captured about 60 stalkers in a single vortex. Supposing you mass recall to defend the base....I don't consider that wasteful....

What I do consider being wasteful is using a valuable unit that you can only get one of and keeping it mostly idle...and using it only to rescue failed half-hearted attacks.

If you refrain from using Vortex it's actually more powerful a tank than you'd think, and it's not easy to kill since it'll be fairly behind your cloaked troops which will typically have at least 6 range (stalkers, void rays, carriers). So they'll need to get past all the firepower of your own troops when they get in range of the mothership.

I'll be clear wasteful does not mean useless....If everything wasteful was useless we'd never see banelings...especially those huge balls that some crazy zerg players use to beat up masses of armoured units.

On a slight tangent:
Truth be told I often find Vortex more often a liability than a boon since to use it offensively makes your mothership move up to the front in range of the enemy and enables it to be more of a target.
So I understand why you might think mothership's die too easily, They're actually fairly hard to destroy...if they don't use vortex.

If you could get more than 1 mothership I wouldn't consider it wasteful at all to use defensive recalls. It's just that it's a waste to keep the one mothership you can have idle and safe from harm.

Thus my car metaphor.
Reply Quote
Recall is actually an awesome ability, it's more the case that vortex is more awesome. When recall goes on the nexus for HotS, that's going to be incredible.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]