StarCraft® II

May 4 - Balance Changes and Feedback

(Locked)

Community Manager
With the new map "Antiga Shipyard (1.4.3 Balance v2.0)", we’re testing certain balance changes that we intend to push live to the rest of the game in the next week or so. There is no PTR for these balance changes. Instead we’ve decided to modify the balance in this one map, which has been featured on the live service for you to test. This should make it easier to consider the changes, as you don’t have to download and log into a separate PTR client.

When the time comes for us to update the live game with these balance changes, we will be utilizing a different process than we’ve previously used.
  • There will not be a patch distributed for this balance update.
  • There will be a small maintenance window associated with this update, and after the service comes back up, the balance changes will be live throughout the game.
  • The build number on your client loading screen will not increment. The patch level of the game will remain 1.4.3.

You can read more about the specifics of the balance changes in our Call to Action: Balance Testing blog post. Thank you very much for your participation and feedback.

Update May 4, 2012 4:00 p.m. PDT:

After initial testing and feedback, we have decided to revert the change to queen starting energy and make the following modification:
Queen anti-ground weapon attack range increased from 3 to 5.
Yet another nerf to terrans ability to harass. And how does increasing the Queens weapon attack help with the "problem" of spreading creep early? What was wrong with moving up a spine crawler to protect those first tumors?

The fact that you people even thought about starting a queen with 50 energy just goes to show how much your balance ideas aren't well thought out.

Usually a 2nd queen starts with a creep tumor anyway because zerg doesn't have enough money to spend on all that larva if it had done an inject instead.
Edited by Frumpylumps on 5/4/2012 4:32 PM PDT
Just two quick comments about the map.

Although the Queen change looks very interesting(I think it really helps Zerg deal with annoying harassment) I think you're missing the opportunity to do 2 things.

Improve Carriers in some capacity(mainly faster build time). Even if it's a small amount if might nudge players to test them to some degree.

Reapers. 5 range Queens were clearly implemented to deal with Hellions but it has an unfortunate side effect of completely eliminating the use of Reapers in the matchup.

How about letting Reapers use their anti-structure attack against ground massive units as well? It won't touch Reapers in any way early and will only give them an additional purpose in the late game.
Edited by MisterMan on 5/4/2012 5:01 PM PDT
I wanna give feedback, but the problem is I'm having trouble loading the map, so someone help me out with this please.
Please don't give a buff to protoss; they are imba enough as it is.

Zerg is fine as well. Now reapers will be completely useless instead of having some small use.

Please reduce ghost build time by 5-10 seconds. This will help balance lategame TvP.

Thank you.
Edited by biologik on 5/4/2012 5:22 PM PDT
Please don't give a buff to protoss.

Zerg is fine as well.

Please reduce ghost build time by 5-10 seconds. This will help balance lategame TvP.

Thank you.
lol. Biased much?
Yeah, when is battle.net going to be fixed? i want to play in playhem but servers keep crashing :(
Please don't give a buff to protoss.

Zerg is fine as well.

Thank you.
lol. Biased much?

Trollin, trollin, trollin....
The map does not seem to want to load as of right now. Furthermore, why has Blizzard locked us in to playing 1v1 in this version? On the last version, it was AMAZING to have a chance to play non-ladder 2v2s while helping my friend learn the game on a map that isn't absolutely terrible (Cough *DISCORDIV* cough)

Please allow players to pick 1v1 or 2v2. The lineup of playable custom melee maps has been stagnant for months. Some of us love melee and hate laddering, and some of us want to team up with our friends. The past 24 hours of testing the balance changes on Antiga Shipyards 2v2 with my silver league newbie buddy has been some of the most fun I've had playing SC2 in a while, and now I feel cheated.

Feedback - Having early creep spread felt extremely nice and made the early game far less terrifying as Z, and eliminating creep as T or P is still as easy as it was. The problem is when players start pumping lots of queens - the extra energy really starts to snowball. Too much transfuse, too much creep.

I'll provide my feedback on the most recent Queen range changes as soon as a 2v2 version is made available. Tapping my foot. It was too fun. I feel cheated now.

*Edit* The imbalance with the Queen energy didn't seem to stem from the early free creep tumors. It's all about having too much transfuse, and overwhelming numbers of creep tumors when the Z begins to build extra queens.

Giving Z an opportunity for early creep spread without tying up a hatch and making a 150 mineral investment would be really nice. Does it have to come from queens? Why not let all hatches pop a creep tumor as a free cooldown based ability that is unlocked after pool finishes? Give it a long cooldown - 2 minutes? This lets zerg get a tumor or two going in the early game without tying up resources in it, and it's nothing that P or T can't solve with an observer/zealot or scan/marine/hellion. Killing creep is still as easy as it always was. I liked having the early creep, just wish the queen energy wasn't so imba.
Edited by LingWhisprer on 5/4/2012 5:29 PM PDT
05/04/2012 05:21 PMPosted by biologik
Trollin, trollin, trollin....
Yeah, that's exactly what you're doing.
The range increase on queens seems strange. I think this could lead to some unintended consequences. Maybe four would be a safer number.

The issue is that more queens will be able to attack at once with this change. I think this could lead to big balls of queens marching around the map blowing stuff up and so on.

I just want to point out that queens have higher damage per second than stalkers. If you increase the range on queens to this level, Zerg players will basically be able to build a small army of stalkers for defending their bases. They could even transfuse each-other and so on, and it might just be too much.
Queen anti-ground weapon attack range increased from 3 to 5.

never see reaper builds ever again. oh wait...
How about letting Reapers use their anti-structure attack against ground massive units as well? It won't touch Reapers in any way early and will only give them an additional purpose in the late game.
Shame 50 energy woulda been super OP lol
Good work blizz.

Updates reasonable.
The only way I can (almost) see Queens starting with 50 energy is adding cool down to the creep tumor ability.

The cool down should last the same time it takes to store another 25 points of energy. Once Zerg gets a lair, that cool down should be removed allowing the usual creep spreading.

Any way, too complicated. :(
I want the 2v2 version back! :(
Why blizzard is so worry about early game harassment from Terran helion. It's basically saying that, terran shouldn't use helion anymore. The only time Terran can actually Harrass the Zerg for few early min of the game. Why can't they just go rochers to defend vs helion. Why blizzard is shutting down terrans early ability to do anything. Why is blizzard only looking for a long game 200/200 army ball just a-moving. Instead of giving more strategie and tactics for each race, they just fucosing for a game to be..one blah ball of army vs another. I hope in hots they add units for each race that can actually do a tactical play and not just a-move

Why why why why
05/04/2012 06:08 PMPosted by IvanDrago
50 energy is much more reasonable. You let others QQ and you listened like cowards, Blizz. You felt something was right, it was right and QQ'ers just needed to cry. Good job giving in.

I think 50 energy is reasonable. However, one Queen could double inject larvae on early game. I am more concerned about that than creep. I don't want see nerfs...

...and I am a Zerg user. ;)
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]