proper way to use hydras

I have been experimenting with hydras vs terrans and I have learned something about hydras. They can be viable vs terrans as long as u upgrade their range and have proper creep spread. I have been using a ling hydra fester comp and it seems to work however i am only a gold player. Is it foolish of me to try n make hydras work vs terrans. I just hate seeing a worthless unit
Reply Quote
I wouldn't bother using them against Terrans, anything that a hydra could do against terran can be done better by another unit that would also serve another purpose that the hydra can't.
Reply Quote
There's another way....

The problem with hydralisks is that unlike in other matchups hydralisks tend to fare poorly in straight fights mostly to do with their speed, health, and range.

Hydralisks simply can't get in position to do much good before dying and costing you lots of resources. But there's a way to mitigate that somewhat and even gain an advantage.

Burrow..

By burrowing and waiting for the terran to move his units in closer will give you huge advantages if you execute your ambushes just right.

Since Raven's are expensive terran players will tend to rely on Orbital commands for mobile detection..But burrowing has no tell (at least unless you're using tunneling units, even then it's pretty hard to see it).
So it's unlikely the terran player will scan unless he feels the need to, like if he's being attacked by infestors or burrowed roaches.

So take advantage of burrow to draw in the opposing terran enemies and when they're in an unfavorable position...unburrow.

Zerglings and Hydralisks are the best units for ambushing since they can do a large ammount of damage in a short time....unlike roaches which attack slowly..

Hydralisks can rapidly attack those trying to run away, and zerglings can chase and bite their ankles.

Of course the problem is you don't get to choose the timing......the enemy does if he's a base coward, and doesn't attack unless attacked first your ambush is going to be worthless.
Reply Quote
didnt expect to change the game, i dont like the idea of a unit that use to be the bread and butter in brood wars to become a nothing, just looking for viable options to use them.
Reply Quote
Open the unit tester and use it to figure out if hydras allow you to do anything more cost effectively than muta/ling/bane, ling/infestor or pure roach. Generally the answer is no. It's not that they can't win a fight ever, it's just that other options are more cost efficient.
The only times I've used Hydras vs. Terran effectively are as oh-!@#! anti-air vs 2-port banshees or even BC rushes (they come up faster than mutas or queens if you fail to scout but have a lair), or as a manner response to hellion-marauder. I think I've also used spread roach/hydra vs mass raven builds because the terran can't really afford both tanks and ravens.

Turns out roach/hydra seems to face hellion marauder about as cost effectively as roach/infestor, and handles a Thor transition better than mutas. Of course, the moment a terran puts a tank on the field, you can't make another hydra. And that's the basic problem: roach/hydra isn't cost-effective against stimmed marines with medivacs, MMM, or marine/tank. With infestors in the mix you can win against pure bio, but not as cost effectively as with ling/infestor, so it doesn't really make sense against any common bio or mech play.
Reply Quote
How to use hydras? The only way you can. Stick roaches in front of them and hope the hydras survive long enough to do damage that justifies their cost.
Reply Quote
I think hydras are best used as drops or in nydus to wreck a base quickley.
Reply Quote
05/04/2012 11:22 AMPosted by SenorChang
I think hydras are best used as drops or in nydus to wreck a base quickley.

I can do the same thing with banelings or zerglings for that matter.
Reply Quote
How to use hydras? The only way you can. Stick roaches in front of them and hope the hydras survive long enough to do damage that justifies their cost.
That's terrible. Absolutely terrible.

Hydralisks are a niche unit. They have decent potential for defense, and decent synergy with Infestors. But given how numerous and severe their counters are, it's stupidly risky to get more than a handful.
Reply Quote
Glad some people actually use hydras now vs terrains
Reply Quote
01/30/2013 01:37 PMPosted by firstround
Glad some people actually use hydras now vs terrains

Epic necro. You can say I told you so almost a year later. Ha.
Reply Quote
If you get 6-8 hydras (+ 1 overseer) they are *really* good at dealing with drops and/or banshees. You can focus-fire medivacs/banshees very fast, and with good creep spread they are able to move between bases fairly quickly. When an engagement comes, you can use them too. Tell them to focus-fire the tanks and/or medivacs.

I just hotkey them to 3, that way I can easily dispatch them wherever a drop is. That makes it easy to focus fire things with them too.

Just don't make any more than 8. Ever.
Edited by tBz on 1/30/2013 6:36 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]