StarCraft® II

Desert Strike, OP unit combinations

yea but your math is lacking on 1 ht cost 750 and storms infinite vikings
Edited by icemanxp on 7/4/2012 12:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
But the issue is that as long as the Protoss has a decent amount of Archons in front of their Immortals all your Ghosts will just waste your EMP on them.

Yes, you want to counter their immortals with your ghosts, but the Protoss counters your ghosts with Archons, and unless you have like 5 rows of Thors you simply aren't going to be able to kill all their Archons fast enough before your ghosts waste all their energy.
Reply Quote
A unit that has a ground attack that does 39 damage with 2 attacks at 1.28 speed is only anti-air?
Reply Quote
Well ht's are last to enter the battle as well and when I suck the vikings in they get stormed. I see you said you made them faster in your edition which may make them useless now for vikings .

Just makes me wonder about all you guys who redo these maps.

Turtle redid the map and made zerg super powerful and now you play terran and subtle adjustments seem as if they may make a huge difference to the terran game.
Reply Quote
There is a way to get 90-95% win ratio and you have not mentioned it. I find this post pointless because everything you just posted can be countered. If you want to talk about how the strategy I'm talking about is OP then sure, you actually are on to something. I of course will not post it here because it doesn't need to be common knowledge.
Reply Quote
07/04/2012 05:22 PMPosted by hellsaura
as far as sucking in the vikings that cant not work. reason being the only thing that can suck them in is void prism and those are last in line as well behind colossus. your relying on a psi storm that does 80 damage to a unit that has well over 80hp. if you rely on ht's to kill air then your going to lose. the only air kill they can provide thats any good would be feedback not psi storm. sence vikings have no energy, it makes high templars useless vs them.

I don't rely on them to win it's just fact that they help. I of course have a prism.

This is how my ht's will kill your vikings. My scouts (2) rush out ahead and draw vikings toward them, they of course kill them, then my void prisms draw the vikings into range of my fades and my ht's. It's just how it is, you can deny it but I do it.

Oh yes I do storm vikings, feedback is nice but when I storm countless vikings at once it's easy pickings for the fades and prisms. Especially when I have 3 storms go off in same area it's like the vikings never existed in the 1st place.
Reply Quote
Azire:

Every unit in Every game in normal or custom games have a counter. if it did not then it would not be fair and would be expoited 100% of the time... just because you will not talk about it on this post does not mean people dont know how to play. any unit that is not counterd can be considerd OP. mass tanks vs mass archons, OP. mass marines vs mass sg's OP. mass colossus vs mass hydralisk OP. so on and so on. so whats your point? any unit can be OP if its not delt with~

Yes the OP said that certain unit combinations are OP. Just counter those units. Done. What is your problem with my post?
Reply Quote
Terran still doesn't have a counter to Voids, Fades, and HTs which pretty much beats any air option Terran has.
Reply Quote
Generally speaking if we go head to head, my archons and immortals keep your army back, my scouts protect the colossus long enough for the prisms to come into play, your vikings then run over your army to come get my prims, this puts your vikings in front line right at the time my slow ht's walk into the battlefield and they are the first things to get stormed.

I think I read range was 9 on an air viking, but put a 10 void prism behind a collossus and fades and now your vikings are hovering in front of my acrhons.

I don't add in them to counter vikings. I get ht's to storm marines and after collossus gets out they work as a very nice viking killer. Since most marines are dead before ht's even come in the battle they are no longer needed for that anymore.

You wasted minerals on vikings to kill my collossus but my collossis don't die, they push forward as the fades, prisms, and ht's kill all your air, then I'm left will a powerful charging force and my ht's usually live and recharge for a new set of storms.
Edited by icemanxp on 7/5/2012 12:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Vikings are 9, Void Prisms are range 12.

I can tell you exactly how this battles plays out in sudden death. I've seen it happen way too often and it always ends in terran getting massacred in the air.

1)Battle begins and all short range air and ground units rush ahead and get slaughtered by the combination of air units and anti-air units firing from the ground. This is important because it gives time for all air units to move into range.

2)Vikings have a range of 9, Colossus also have a range of 9. Vikings are forced to move to your front lines to attack the Colossus.

3) Void Prisms begin attacking the Vikings. Because of how the AI works the Vikings will now try to attack the Void Prisms. This forces Vikings to move forward 3 more spaces. This will put them about halfway between your army and the Protoss army being that the Protoss army will generally always be separated from your army by 6 spaces because of their immortals.

4) Vikings are now going to likely be the closest units to the Protoss army by this point. Any Templar that reaches the front line that haven't wasted all of their energy yet will storm the Vikings. I'll admit that Templar are sort of a gamble to use since rarely is a fight just PvT and throwing in the Zerg or a Protoss on the other team can make Templar a bad idea, but even without Templar Protoss can still handily stomp Terran air.

Vikings are now only 3 spaces to the Protoss front line. This means that any Stalkers in the first 3 lines of the Protoss army can attack the vikings, but more importantly any Fade Initiates in the first 7 lines of the Protoss army (aka pretty much all of them) can also attack them.

5) From here the Vikings will likely kill all the Void Prisms, but the have already served their purpose and the damage has been done. The Vikings now have to kill all of the other teams Colossus while being attacked by the other teams ground forces. Assuming the Protoss didn't fail and built enough Fade Initiates it's only a matter of time.

If you throw in other races this is even worse since the other races ground to air are also attacking your vikings, but remember even if you exclude other races Templar become viable to use again and it only takes 2 Storms to destroy all of your vikings if they end up clumped together.
Reply Quote
Beleive me if you only make 1 viking then I don't need to make any anti-air at all LOL.

It's not 3 units to kill one, I make little prims and they are worthless besides air. HT's and fades can attack ground and fades have very nice range to hit ground with.

Can we just play this out, on epic that is and see how it unfolds :) I have not played a 1v1 so it should be interesting. You definitely will get silo 1st as it takes toss time for a proper army to build up.
Reply Quote
Yeah, proper 1v1 TvP strategy is for the Terran to kill the Protoss before you even reach sudden death.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]