F-Keys and calculating APM

Hello, I have a question about the F-Keys and calculating APM. I know this is not new info, but here is a quick outline of how I use them and why I feel they are so important to evaluating my APM.
I have my bases hot-keyed in the following fashion:
F1 Starting base
F2 Natural Expansion
F3 3rd
F4 4th etc... I will rarely use more than those 4.

I mainly use them to move workers around- mostly queuing them to go back to gathering after a build command. But as Protoss, I feel they can be even more useful depending on how you set up your base. I try to put buildings with upgrades (mainly forge) and my Robotics Facilities in view of my "F1" location so that I can quickly and efficiently issue important chronoboosts. Now, I do not necessarily think that is is better than clicking on the MiniMap. I know that a lot of very skilled Star Craft players do not use the F-keys at all. Clicking on the MiniMap certainly brings the added benefit of simply looking at it and possibly gathering important info like incoming drops, but I find it easier to quickly do things back at my base when I can just push one button which will always bring me back to the same place for the duration of a game, unless of course I adjust it. This eliminates the error of clicking on the wrong spot and possibly having to adjust the camera after a click, wasting precious time. I realize that there may be a loss of the important, previously mentioned info by NOT clicking on the MiniMap so much, so I make a conscious effort to check the MiniMap more.

So here is my question:
Why are the F-Keys not used in either Blizzard APM calculation provided in the replay system and do they plan on including it, if only in one of them (APM or EAPM).

I am not whining that my APM appears to be lower than it really is, I don't live and die by the APM displayed in the replays. I just think that I (and hopefully others) could benefit in the further evaluation of gameplay by having this important part of the APM be included.

Thank you for your time.
Reply Quote
APM has never been involved in evaluating gameplay. Evaluate your gameplay by checking whether or not you're winning more.
Reply Quote
05/13/2012 10:45 PMPosted by Linkebungu
APM has never been involved in evaluating gameplay. Evaluate your gameplay by checking whether or not you're winning more.

You can Google APM and gameplay and find several results discussing its use in evaluating gameplay. I realize the irony of using Wikipedia as a reference, but let me post it as an example to my argument:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actions_per_minute
Liquidpedia also mentions APM here:
http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft/Actions_per_Minute
and here:
http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/APM

I know that how big of a role APM has in gameplay can be debated, I personally feel that it is not a large part, but I don't think you can argue whether or not it is part of the way the game is played. That being said, I don't feel that it is paramount that the F-Keys are included in Blizzard's APM calculators, if it were they may have included it already. It would just be nice, especially since it is an action that may be highly utilized by players and is included in the Blizzard Menu under Hotkeys, alongside other actions that are used in calculating APM. If anything, it would at least add some consistency to the way it is calculated.
Reply Quote
this is a very well done post! i don't use the f-keys much but i do agree that they should be included. does anyone know if blizzard has addressed this issue?
Reply Quote
BUMP
Blizzard, this should be included in APM. +1 and sticky this everyone!
Reply Quote
Since this got bumped (However possibly irresponsibly), I'd like to put some information out there for those who may still be interested in this topic.

While it's not rolled into Blizzard's counters by default, SC2Gears actually has an option to include camera hotkey management into APM. At the replay analyzer screen, there's a check box right above the player boxes that reads "XAPM". It also adds clicking on the minimap to move the camera, as well as scrolling more than a certain distance (https://sites.google.com/site/sc2gears/features/replay-analyzer/apm-types#TOC-XAPM-eXtended-APM-). It doesn't get calculated into a new EAPM, but it's a number there for ya!

From what I've seen of both mine and a friend's, it tends to add ~15-30 total APM.
Edited by TropicalBob on 2/11/2013 10:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
Since this got bumped (However possibly irresponsibly), I'd like to put some information out there for those who may still be interested in this topic.

While it's not rolled into Blizzard's counters by default, SC2Gears actually has an option to include camera hotkey management into APM. At the replay analyzer screen, there's a check box right above the player boxes that reads "XAPM". It doesn't get calculated into a new EAPM, but it's a number there for ya!

From what I've seen of both mine and a friend's, it tends to add ~15-30 total APM.

My hero <3
Reply Quote
No problem!

Also note, I edited my previous post with an extra line to elaborate a little:
02/11/2013 10:47 AMPosted by TropicalBob
It also adds clicking on the minimap to move the camera, as well as scrolling more than a certain distance (https://sites.google.com/site/sc2gears/features/replay-analyzer/apm-types#TOC-XAPM-eXtended-APM-).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]