StarCraft® II

Thors r OP

Guys have u ever thought thaat thors r OP even if u completely out macro them. I fought like 15 thors with 200 pop ultra roach festor ling but still lost. Anyone got advice? O and also i went broodlords but he spammed vikings
Reply Quote
If they are clumped together you should try banelings.

Also I consider Thors far from OP, it's just that you need to play better.
Reply Quote
You upgraded you units? Zerglings and Infestors help too.
Reply Quote
05/26/2012 12:29 PMPosted by Bruno
You upgraded you units? Zerglings and Infestors help too.

When thors are in large enough numbers, lings become useless. Especially since there are usually BFH around too, but even without them, the lings just don't get enough surface area and melt to the insane DPS of the thors.
Reply Quote
MORE ROACHES!!!!!

Infested Terrans add a lotta DPS too, use them!
Reply Quote
They aren't OP. You just have to keep their numbers low like you have to do with colloxen. Hit them hard and often with mass roach armies, kill a few thors and retreat. Use some things at your disposal, like burrow-move ambushes.

If they are extremely tank-heavy you need to either burrow-ambush them while unsieged and moving or stall their army with counterattacks/drops until BL are out.
Reply Quote
If he had 15 thors, you may have been outmacroing him (not guaranteed), but you still weren't outplaying him. It's an RTS for a reason (strategy). The game isn't about whoever maxes out fastest, you've got to think about how the game is actually played. Thors are fine.
Reply Quote
I go BL with distracting ovies to screw up targeting AI.
Reply Quote
A mecher worth his salt will never go mass thor, because mass thor is _to_ easy to deal with. All mechers I play add in 3-5 banshees, 1-2 ravens, 20 or so hellions, and then their 15 thors (and if there are BL, vikings too!).

The best counter to mech is mass roach. That's what makes the banshees & ravens so annoying (banshees get to blast away for free with nothing to stop them, ravens make burrow-play impossible, and single seeker missile can WRECK a roach ball).

Heck, even the 3/3 hellions can do MASSIVE splash damage to a roach ball when they are upgraded like that and are in mass like that.

Basically - when the mechball is all togethor there is _nothing_ that can beat it. The way you counter mech is by forcing him to split up his mechball. Do the math with me. If 1/3 of his mechball defends expansion A, 1/3 defends expansion B, and 1/3 defends his main, isn't 1/3 of a mechball MUCH easier to deal then the whole mechball?

Its infinitely better. You run in, snipe any thors/tanks are at one expo, snipe anything else you can, and run out before the rest of the mechball arrives. If he ever keeps all his mechball in one place you simply be everywhere the mechball isn't, he will no choice but to split up, which is exactly what you want.

From there its a easy win. Being able to see what he is doing is essential for this, I would recommend 2-3 well placed overseers. Sneak changelings in and go everywhere his army is not, kill anything you can, run back out when you see it coming for you.
Edited by tBz on 5/26/2012 6:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
did u try neural parasiting half of the thors?
Reply Quote
Pure Mass Roach would've killed the 15 Thors easily. Maybe you lost because the T had better upgrades than you, or maybe you accidentally moved your roaches but they didn't attack the Thors until a few seconds later.

Also, you can try burrowing the roaches and then moving them under the Thors, then unburrow and then commence ownage.
Reply Quote
05/26/2012 12:19 PMPosted by ByePass

05/27/2012 01:48 AMPosted by kavinh

These are both really bad ideas. If he is going mass Thor go all Roach. If he is decent he will have plenty of Tanks and Hellions as well as a sprinkle of Banshees and Ravens.

Late game composition (BL/Infester/Corruptor) > Mech

The problem is getting there. Use anything you can to keep him in his base. Nydus, drops, runbys and even Mutas are all good at keeping him busy defending so he can not be attacking.
Reply Quote
05/27/2012 06:36 AMPosted by Emzeeshady

These are both really bad ideas. If he is going mass Thor go all Roach. If he is decent he will have plenty of Tanks and Hellions as well as a sprinkle of Banshees and Ravens.

Late game composition (BL/Infester/Corruptor) > Mech

The problem is getting there. Use anything you can to keep him in his base. Nydus, drops, runbys and even Mutas are all good at keeping him busy defending so he can not be attacking.

agreed but this slighlty better:

infestor brood corruptor queens > mech (unless you dont target fire ravens)
Reply Quote
If your opponent has 15+ thors you're probably doing something seriously wrong. You need to be scouting, see what he is doing, and react. If you see he's not producing much army in lieu of thors, you need to attack him before all of his thors are out.
Reply Quote
GG lords. done
Reply Quote
also i went broodlords but he spammed vikings

You don't just go broodlords...have a bunch of corruptors to protect them. If you use terrain properly then ground army shouldn't be able to really touch you and if he goes air your corruptors should do the job.
Reply Quote
If he gets 7 or more thors you can't kill the army without remaxing a few times. This is where nydus worms are sexy since that unit comp of his moves so slow. If he is smart he will just ram your base which is why nydus is better than drops since you can instant run back to your base and try to defend. Hopefully the is panicked by this point and makes some micro mistakes. Thors with ravens and tanks are damn near impossible to beat just head to head.
Reply Quote
05/26/2012 06:20 PMPosted by tBz
All mechers I play add in 3-5 banshees, 1-2 ravens, 20 or so hellions, and then their 15 thors (and if there are BL, vikings too!).

Really? I thought "correct" mech was mass tanks with just enough thors to deal with mutas, lings, etc. alongside BFH. Add vikings for brood lords, the mass tanks will help keep infestors from getting fungals off on the vikings, etc.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]