StarCraft® II

The UED were so damn likeable. (BW spoilers)

Seriously, they were honestly probably my favorite faction in the entire campaign of SC/BW/WoL.

The Terran Dominion/Confederacy are stark dictatorships and filled with all kinds of oppressive behaviors, etc.

The Protoss are constantly plagued with in-fighting, and though they do have good intentions they often times end up making things worse for themselves.

The Zerg are, well, the Zerg. Sans the Overmind being a brave, courageous, noble hero, the Zerg are just mindless and infestation-based. Even if they weren't "slaves to the dark force," or whatever, they'd still have their hivemind: it's not like the individual Zerglings would start developing personalities. I feel like the Overmind would probably still have been pretty aggressive <_<

But the UED... The UED were the best shot at a happy ending for the Korpulu sector. They didn't really have anything against the Protoss, they toppled the Dominion, and they 100% completely pacified the Zerg threat. If it weren't for Kerrigan masterminding everyone to team up against the UED, most likely everything would have turned out fine: The Terran sector would finally have good government, there'd be no more Zerg to worry about, and the Protoss could start rebuilding.

Alas.
Reply Quote
I always side with Earth forces in stories, no matter what. I couldn't care less if they were evil N a z i zombies.

Earth's supremacy > all
Reply Quote
I'm kinda nostalgic for the UED too. Hopefully they can add some more Terran missions in with the UED? Although, Raynor seems to think the UED is rotten though judging by some of his comments made during SC:BW, as does Kerrigan, so I'm not entirely sure they're the good guys. I'd agree they're interesting and I'd like to see more of them in future games though. I've been really happy with Raynor's Raiders though. That's a cool faction... more of them as well in future games I hope..

It makes sense that you'd see the UED return in future games though because... well come on, their whole force went out there never to return! And they say at the end of BW that word of their demise never reached Earth. You'd think Earth would send out another expedition to colonize space, not just give up after the 1st failed attempt. They may also possibly come in the form of a rescue attempt to rescue the original UED.
Reply Quote
IIRC, the only reason other people disliked the UED was due to manipulations.

Kerrigan made Jim think the UED was going to use the Zerg as a weapon and be just as oppressive as the Dominion was.

AND, keep in mind the UED Expeditionary Fleet was basically just made using local production methods and commandeering vessels. The Earth still has a huge number of ships back home.

And did the ending say word of the UEDs demise never hit earth? I thought it was only that no SURVIVOR ever returned to Earth, but they did get a message out. Like DuGalle's goodbye to his wife!

ALSO, if they're gonna keep up with the "bonus campaign" missions like they did with the Protoss in WoL, they could totally have bonus Terran missions with the Zerg campaign. Say, let there be an infested UED Terran or something, and the bonus missions will be you learning of his past/etc.

>_> I'm not sure how they'd work bonus Zerg missions into the Protoss campaign, though...
Reply Quote
I think it said no word from the UED ever reached Earth at the end of BW. Maybe I misinterpreted it. DuGalle sending word to Earth of course doesn't mean for 100% certain it made it there. Then again, maybe it did, idk for sure.
Reply Quote
The UED came to take over all of the terrans in the Koprulu sector. They saw the terrans as inferior and nothing more than rabble. They were also xenophobic, so peace with the protoss would never happen and the idiots tried to take over the zerg.
Reply Quote
The true might of humanity lies with Earth and its colonies not some random sector.....

I call bull on the UED "never hearing word" of their fleets defeat, it says the UED was "keeping watch" over the sector but apparently all their Intel went bye bye all of the sudden? Ya I don't buy that and I really hope Blizzard doesn't try and sale that as the truth...
Reply Quote
The UED aren't good people. They tried to weaponize the Zerg, for instance. Something the Confederacy was looking into. Not exactly a good example. Hell, the opening BW cinematic shows them abandoning their marine forces on some planet, rather then hot dropping evacs.

As for DuGalle's letter to his wife - he recorded it prior to committing Suicide (Yeah, nice there. Take the coward's way out just before your men need you the most), but that doesn't mean it was ever transmitted - or rather, that transmission wasn't intercepted.

The UED fleet was completely destroyed, and any transmissions were obviously intercepted and blocked. Perhaps even false reports sent in their place (As backstory seems to suggest Earth views everything "Going Well" in the Korpulu Sector).

EDIT: Another possibility is Earth knows what happened, but doesn't really care all that much. Earth is a long way from the Korpulu Sector, after all, and by all accounts nobody even knows where Earth is located.
Edited by Rust on 8/18/2010 3:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
ah yeah, don't know how I could have forgotten that opening cinematic. Good point, Rust. I guess the only likable Terrans are Raynor's Raiders then.
Reply Quote
The UED aren't good people. They tried to weaponize the Zerg, for instance. Something the Confederacy was looking into. Not exactly a good example. Hell, the opening BW cinematic shows them abandoning their marine forces on some planet, rather then hot dropping evacs.

As for DuGalle's letter to his wife - he recorded it prior to committing Suicide (Yeah, nice there. Take the coward's way out just before your men need you the most), but that doesn't mean it was ever transmitted - or rather, that transmission wasn't intercepted.

The UED fleet was completely destroyed, and any transmissions were obviously intercepted and blocked. Perhaps even false reports sent in their place (As backstory seems to suggest Earth views everything "Going Well" in the Korpulu Sector).

EDIT: Another possibility is Earth knows what happened, but doesn't really care all that much. Earth is a long way from the Korpulu Sector, after all, and by all accounts nobody even knows where Earth is located.

Actually, the UED didn't leave their marine forces in the opening cinematic of BW. Those were Dominion forces on that planet. Dugalle was just there watching the battle and getting a feel for how the zerg fight.

And the UED weren't initially there to control the zerg. They were there to pretty much crush the Zerg and Protoss and take control of the Korprulu Terrans. They only decided to go with controlling/weaponizing the zerg when they found the Confederacy's old psi technology and learned they could take control of the zerg.

Edit: Personally, I think the UED thought things were alright at first but they have other intelligance sources at the Korprulu sector that they used to find out what happened when they didn't receive any communications on what happened. After that, they felt it wasn't worth bigger intervention than they used in BW.
Edited by Phil on 8/18/2010 4:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
If you weren't moved by Stukov's death or DuGalle's suicide note while he flashed through memories of his soldiers dying (and even of the poor colonists he sicked the Zerg on) you aren't human.

The UED were supposed to be villains, but overthrew a corrupt regime and brought order to the sector. Everything they did was fairly good. Even enslaving the Overmind, because think about it, you have this giant brain that can control the entire swarm and yet is unkillable by all of your technologies. But you can control it. What do you expect them to do, sit there and have a nice spot of tea with it?

I'm a bit upset they so anticlimatically resurrected Stukov, but I'm looking forward to the day when I can again proudly declare "Serve the Directorate! Serve humanity!"
Reply Quote
Well they were kind of stupid.
If you weren't moved by Stukov's death or DuGalle's suicide note while he flashed through memories of his soldiers dying (and even of the poor colonists he sicked the Zerg on) you aren't human.

I wasn't, one of the main reasons was that they unleashed the Zerg on humans without a second thought.

DuGalle was pretty stupid too.

"Don't confront Stukov on anything, no guys just immediately kill him with no questions asked. He's obviously a traitor, It's not like he can explain anything or was framed."

"Wait a minute..."
Edited by SgtCrispy on 8/18/2010 6:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
POWER 2 TEH PPLZ
Reply Quote
yeah.. i liked the UED when they appeared too because they were from Earth... Also, they aren't rednecks with corrupt governments(come on, they united ALL of earth) and I saw nothing that made them evil... Playing as zergs, BW wanted you to think the UED as evil when they were actually not. *sigh* damn the queen of blades, everything could've been better if the UED ruled the terrans, not some power hungry dictator

Edit: And why do a lot of people think UED are Terrans? I like to think terrans and people from earth are seperate
Edited by CptDesando on 8/18/2010 6:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
yeah.. i liked the UED when they appeared too because they were from Earth... Also, they aren't rednecks with corrupt governments(come on, they united ALL of earth) and I saw nothing that made them evil... Playing as zergs, BW wanted you to think the UED as evil when they were actually not. *sigh* damn the queen of blades, everything could've been better if the UED ruled the terrans, not some power hungry dictator

Edit: And why do a lot of people think UED are Terrans? I like to think terrans and people from earth are seperate

Terra = Earth.

Terran = Being of Earth.
Reply Quote
Well they were kind of stupid.

I wasn't, one of the main reasons was that they unleashed the Zerg on humans without a second thought.

DuGalle was pretty stupid too.

"Don't confront Stukov on anything, no guys just immediately kill him with no questions asked. He's obviously a traitor, It's not like he can explain anything or was framed."

"Wait a minute..."

Duran jumped the gun and shot Stukov, if I recall correctly.
Reply Quote
Raiders roll!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]