StarCraft® II

Starcraft 2 shuts down my computer

While playing starcraft II, my computer will randomly turn off out of no where. This has never happened before until I started playing sc2. It's happened about 5 times, and usually happens when I have either Itunes or firefox open. It's happened twice in a row today. First time I had Itunes, firefox, and ventrilo open, and was minimized when the pc turned off. Second time I had ventrilo and firefox open. It usually occurs in the menu of the game. Today it occurred while alt tabbed in the menu, and again right as my team placed a game.

I scan for viruses daily, I defrag once a week, scan disk a few times a month and run spybot sd regularly. My computer is not overheating.

Basic stats:
Vista 64
Intel Core2 duo 3.0 GHz
4GB ram
ATI RADEON 4850
onboard sound
500GB 7200RPM hard drive

Let me know if you need to see a DXDiag or if there's an errorlog file i can post.

Thanks in advance.
Reply Quote
Happens to me too randomly while playing with friends against AI and once in single player. PC just shuts down and reboots. My cpu is overclocked but watercooled and my cards have aftermarket arctic coolers on them and all my temps are respectable.

System
i7 975 @ 4.16GHz
2x HIS 5970 OC to 900/1200
Auzentech HD SoundCard
Ultra X3 1600W PSU
3x 2GB Perfect Storm Ram 1800MHz

My PC plays every game out there and stress tests no sweat! I have run OCCT for 5Hours no problems. Weird stuff unless I'm getting random power surges but why would it only affect this game? CPU & GPU temps hit the same in other games with no problems.
Tell me if and where I should send a dxdiag report if needed?
Reply Quote
ur cpu is auto-rebooting because of a windows feature

right click My Computer -> Advanced -> Startup and Recovery settings (may vary depending on ur windows version)

UNcheck auto reboot
next time it does it u will get a bsod and u can look up the error code.

now MY problem is that it does the same thing except it sticks in an infinite audio loop.....
Reply Quote
See if putting 3d portraits to 2d in your sc2 game video settings works for now
There are a lot of reasons why this can be happening,

My computer is shutting of when in the middle of a game. I think it stopped now that I changed the portraits. All my temps are good, stress tests, mem tests, etc. Mine might be power supply, ill know on monday when new one arrives. Think video card is pulling too much power, etc. If not.. im stuck with 2d portraits and a big question mark..

Search the forums, lots of similar issues.
Edited by Connbot on 8/20/2010 10:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
make sure it is not overheat problem, it sound like it to me
Reply Quote
it is DEF not an overheat problem as my system does not shut off, it just loops into an infinite sound (sometimes a hgih pitch screech, sometimes only the ambient sounds cntinue to play forever)

all my drivers/etc are up to date and i am also starting to think its my psu. Connbot plz update on that i would be interested to know if that fixes your problem.
Reply Quote
@evilost ill update after i change out the psu and try 3d portraits
Feel free to add me in game, try 2d portraits see if that helps your system from locking / crashing

Reply Quote
Since disabling 3d portraits, I have not experienced arandom shutdown yet. Time will tell though.
Reply Quote
I installed my replacement power supply a few hours ago. Switched the portraits back to 3D and played for a total of 2-3 hours. My computer has not shut off. So far so good. I am going to have to give it a few days of playing before saying this solved the problem.

@EvilLost you might want to still check your temps, just because it doesn't shut off does not mean that you can rule out heat as a possible issue.

In my situation I checked nearly everything and I hope that replacing PSU finally solved this. I'll update again soon.
Reply Quote
this is what almost happens to me too, but everytime i get into a multiplayer match, randomly the game will freeze, but the sound still plays normally, and then the game closes.
Reply Quote
I think some people are confusing "crash" with "shutting down". My computer still shuts down, turns off completely. The lights go out, and the computer powers off. It still happens, usually in the battle.net menu and while alt tabbed or right after alt tabbing.
Reply Quote
SC2 definitely invited heat-related reboots to my computer when I began playing it recently. I've been playing WoW for years, and while that game runs slow in populated areas on my couple year old hardware, it never caused crashes. Now, SC2 runs clearly and relatively smoothly even at the highest settings since it makes use of the newer GPU features, but it causes my computer to overheat and restart.

Placing a fan blowing at the side of it has prevented this issue. I'm also thankful we're having a milder summer this year than the last couple or else I doubt the fan would be enough.
Reply Quote
So its a sound issue.. Have you tried updating your audio driver's?
Edited by Maldor on 8/27/2010 11:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I installed my replacement power supply a few hours ago. Switched the portraits back to 3D and played for a total of 2-3 hours. My computer has not shut off. So far so good. I am going to have to give it a few days of playing before saying this solved the problem.

@EvilLost you might want to still check your temps, just because it doesn't shut off does not mean that you can rule out heat as a possible issue.

In my situation I checked nearly everything and I hope that replacing PSU finally solved this. I'll update again soon.

Let me know how ur situation is going i am having the same problem with my comp.
Reply Quote
My cpu temp right after restarting is 41C. I'm about to play a game, I'll post what it is after a game.
Reply Quote
My CPU peaked at 52C, and it was holding steady at 44/45C in the battle.net menus, which is when the computer shuts down. I'm going to conclude my CPU is not overheating. Does any blizzard rep have any suggestions?

There's a recent update for my audio drivers (Realtek High definition Audio - onboard sound), see if that does something to improve the situation.
Edited by Sourcefour on 8/27/2010 6:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
dude check your cpu temp when your computer restarts clean yur *#!#

Make sure to clean out your maphacks too, my friend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBOrDptVtak
Edited by Twinsen on 8/30/2010 11:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
dude check your cpu temp when your computer restarts clean yur *#!#

Make sure to clean out your maphacks too, my friend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBOrDptVtak

Vnrock, you got owned.

Reply Quote
Guys if computer is shutting down it is an over heating issue 45c is kind of high I would worry if my comp was getting that hot since I stay at almost a constant 37c without any spikes. Clean your computer about every week with a can of air and detail clean once a month. When I say detail clean I mean take off all your fans, heat sinks, and video card. Then blow out and wipe down.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]