Game Launch Error

I tried to load up SCII today and got the following error message:

The launch of this game makes reference to mod or map dependencies which are no longer available.

How do I fix this error? I have tried re-installing as well as the Repair tool which says it fixed the problem, but it really hasn't.
Reply Quote
bump?
Reply Quote
Same problem here. I also did a reinstall, but to no avail.
Reply Quote
Same issue. I have looked all over the internet and I still have not found a resolution. I am currently trying a reinstall after deleting all starcraft folders and registry values. I post back with the results.
Reply Quote
After removing everything that I could find Starcraft related on my machine. Folders and in the registry I reloaded and the game seems to be working now. Just FYI I am running Windows 7 64bit
Reply Quote
Yeah, I am having the same problem. I'm on Windows Vista, and right after I re-started my computer, at start-up tests I think I remember the computer deleting some files, but I have no idea if they're crucial to SC2. I'll try what you did Digitech.
Reply Quote
All - I saw this yesterday:

Hi Game Master Zamashere - both machines have the latest technologies from the vendors. I'm an IT engineering manager and have built and been around PCs for 20 years. My troubleshooting and expertise is high. I also ran the Blizzard Repair utility from the game and it didn't fix anything along with dxdiag and shut the firewalls/anti-virus down. My BIG concern is that the prior version 1.02 ran just fine on both systems until 1.03 was forced as an update when the games were started. PLEASE READ THIS VERY CAREFULLY: Both machines stopped working at exactly the same time AFTER Patch 1.03 was installed from YOUR site on 8/20/2010 at 5:30 PM

Do you all have the new 1.03 patch?
Reply Quote
This is what fixed the problem for me.

I ran chkdsk on my c: drive and it found corrupt files. To run this on Windows 7/Vista you must go to the cmd line as administrator.

- Click the Start Button.
- Type cmd in the search box.
- It will bring an icon for cmd on your programs search.
- Right click and run as administrator.
- From the cmd line do this command: chkdsk c: /f
- It will ask you to restart your computer so it can run chkdsk on startup.
- Once chkdsk runs it should clear up any corrupt files. Mine happened to be in the ProgramData/Blizzard Entertainment/battle.net/cache folder.

I Uninstalled SC2 and also cleaned out the registry entries for "starcraft" you may or may not need to do this.

- First Uninstall Starcraft and then move on to the registry entries.

- To clean out your registry to the following:
- I would suggest you backup your registry first.
- Click the start button.
- From the search box type regedit.
- Click on file and then export and save a copy of your registry.
- Once back in the registry editor hit the F3 key.
- In the search box type in starcraft (be careful if you have the original SC installed too)
- Delete any registry keys it highlights.
- The hit F3 again to find the next entry.
- Repeat the process.
- There will be quite a few.

- Reinstalled Starcraft and enjoy.

You may not need to do all these steps. I think if I ran chkdsk only it might have fixed the issue too. Please play around with it and give your feedback. Use my suggestions at your own risk. You can really mess up your computer is you make a mistake in the registry, but with some common sense you should be fine.
Reply Quote
Seems like I took the long way around when trying to troubleshoot this. Someone else posted this:

"For those who might have the same problem, it seems like in my case the problem came from
"C:\ProgramData\Blizzard Entertainment\Battle.net"

Apparently some file in this folder were corrupt and couldnt be deleted.

I Renamed that folder and now the games start perfectly."

Still might not be a bad idea to run a chkdsk though.
Edited by HelRaza on 8/22/2010 2:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I deleted everything under "Starcraft" and "Blizzard" as well as the download clients for WoW from my 10-day Trial, reinstaled, and now it works fine
Reply Quote
Tried HelRaza's technique and it worked great. Renamed the file Honky.net so it must have something to do with the racial tolerance of the game.
Reply Quote
Hey guys i'm not very tech savey, how do i rename the the file? my corrupt file is from the program data\blizzard entertainment\battle.net\cache\55\d9 filebut i have no clue on where to find it? i've looked in my c drive and the starcraft folder but i'm stumped? can anyone help?
Reply Quote
My roommate is having this problem. I don't know why or where any folder named "programdata" exists... I'm running XP and i dont have such a folder. Hes running win7 and doesnt have such a folder either.

In XP, my battlenet cache folder is located at "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Blizzard Entertainment\Battle.net\Cache"

But of course, this doesnt exist at all in win7.

Any help?
Reply Quote
Same with me i can't find the dang folder. I'm running vista and have been playing for a few weeks, i think the problem came with the new patch. But i have no idea where to find the folde.
Reply Quote
wylde,
In Windows 7 in the search menu type c:\programdata and it will pull up your folder
The issue I had is battlenet would resort back to whatever I would rename the folder to. So I uninstalled starcraft, deleted all the files except the corrupt one in programdata, renamed it to "cant delete" and moved it to a different directory, after that no issues.
Reply Quote
Seems like I took the long way around when trying to troubleshoot this. Someone else posted this:

"For those who might have the same problem, it seems like in my case the problem came from
"C:\ProgramData\Blizzard Entertainment\Battle.net"

Apparently some file in this folder were corrupt and couldnt be deleted.

I Renamed that folder and now the games start perfectly."

Still might not be a bad idea to run a chkdsk though.

I renamed that folder and it worked perfectly - thank you!
Reply Quote
im glad this is working for all of you, but i am running windows 7 and i cannot find the programdata file in my computer and have run multiple seraches for it. i have deleted everything and reinstalled the game, still did not work. any other advice
Reply Quote
hye can someone help me?

i hv 1 pc n 1 notebook

i've installed sc2 on my pc and working without problem..all single player n multiplayer is working normally

but the problem occurred when i installed this game into my notebook..
when i logged in, the single player button and replay button cannot be clicked, i also cannot play multiplayer. i tried to logout and log in again..even the button can be clicked..when try to play versus a.i, it appears "no content found"..

hope u guys can help me, or at least give me a link of a thread for this solution

my pc- i3,gtx 460,4gb ram,win7 ultimate 64 bit
my n/book-i7,hd 5730,4gb ram,win 7 home premium 64 bit
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
This thread may help
Trying to start Multiplayer: "Error downloading this content. Try again later."
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/791239325#2

Have you ran the sc2 repair tool yet?
Reply Quote
i did..but still no good
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]