StarCraft® II

highest kill count in utter darkness?

Just wondering what your highest kill count was in this mission? and what strategies you guys might suggest to keep the gaming going longer. For this who don't remember the mission it is the last in the protoss mission where you have to defend against the hybrid until all the protoss units are dead.

i've already beaten the level on hard with about 2250 in kills. I tried to expand to the gold in the top left corner but i keep getting steam rolled... and another issue i have is in the later part of the level the lag in just kills my units and i can't micro anymore... usually what i do is pull all my units to the ramps in the middle of the map and just defend there.. just wondering what you guys do.
Reply Quote
I don't waste my time stroking my e-peen.
Reply Quote
I don't waste my time stroking my e-peen.

Sure, you do. Wasting your time to post that is just another way of stroking your e-peen.
Reply Quote
The gold expansion is a trap, I don't ever go for it...
But, my highest kill count was on normal at 2499, just 251 kills shy of getting the Blaze of Glory achivement. ._.

Anywho, I did a DT wall and Snipe any overseeres that come up until about when the archive finishes, then I pull back up to the ramps. I made void rays and carries as well when they came in and I aslo did a second DT wall on the upper levels (with little success) while trying to get void rays hidden under the mothership... Snipe overseeres as they come and fully charge blast everything to death... Works untill the mothership dies and I loose the cloak, then my void rays get slaughtered.
Reply Quote
The gold expansion is a trap, I don't ever go for it...
But, my highest kill count was on normal at 2499, just 251 kills shy of getting the Blaze of Glory achivement. ._.

Umm on Normal the Blaze of Glory achievement is 2250 kills. Anyways mine was like 2300 kills just barely managed to get the Blaze of Glory on normal.
Reply Quote
On Brutal I was on 3.2k or so. You can get more but I had the 750 achievement and was just playing through the campaign again for my portrait.

I just used a mix of what came in, I made like 2 more pheonix's since they killed a couple. Stalkers, Immortals, Collossi, and Void Rays. Made it pretty easy to just demolish everything.
Reply Quote
suicided on brutal at around 3300 i think cause i was getting bored and wanted to play something else
Reply Quote
best i did was jsut short of 4k on brutal got my blazy of glory at same time as beeting brutal was nice

if you want to see a vid of how i did it i posted one thats 4 parts long on you tube i linked to it in another post if you look up my other posts (in the completeing brutal guide)

the vid i think i get to 3500 ish as i screwed up a few times when i did the vid from slight lag from the recording.

as for strats DT wall with snipeing of overseers before they get near (knowing when they spawn) till 1800 kills (when archive objective happens) then move all the units back to top under the big clocking unit in a ball i had mass photons there so they acted as a meet sheild once the zerg start getting near your units fall back all the air units to the gold expantion there are clifts behind it that will make it harder to hit you and draw the game out longer.

as for units DT's to wall, mass voids for snipeing till you get carriers then just mass them all you will need for units (spare minerals on photons cover the world with them). dont use land other than the DT's as when you widraw they cant come with the air units.
Reply Quote
mine was 147 short of getting the blaze of Glory. I could have easily gotten alot more than that but i wasent aware of the extra achievment so I switched the game speed from slowest to fastest just so that the enemy would overpower me so I could move on. but yeah on the slowest speed its real easy to hold the line with all the Gravibeams you can do on those hybrids
Reply Quote
I had 200 supply worth of mother ship/void rays/carriers (that is it). I killed all my probes around 2.5k (ish), as I did secure the high yield. I had the whole top base filled with cannons, about 15 carriers, 1 mother ship, and the rest void rays. I got my achievement, micro'd my units until about 3.5-4k. I then proceeded to just Alt+Tab and browse forums, coming back to the death screen 15 minutes later looking at 449x kills. :( I can't believe it lasted that long.
Reply Quote
Phoenix are the key. I massed ~22 of them, then just build rays/carriers, and used cannons as the aforementioned meatshield. I'd then lift off any and all hybrids, where they would be massacred, and the rest of the fleet was enough to destroy the incoming zerg.
Reply Quote
Didn't beat it on the 1st playthrough at all as I couldn't do it on hard and so accidentally skipped it completely when I meant to come back to it later.

On brutal:
1st attempt got me 245 kills or so (yes, that's two hundred...)
2nd attempt had me go to 3445+ when the game ironically crashed. I was losing at that point though and would have gotten a hundred or so more kills at best.

Don't see myself playing it again just to try and improve my 'score'.
Reply Quote
I got 8455 kills on brutal, was going for 9k but i went afk for 10 mins.
Reply Quote

Too bad the achievements in your profile must be badly out of date.
Reply Quote

Yeah its bugged so i can't get any achievements.
Reply Quote

You mean you turned on a cheat to get to 9000 kills and it disabled achievements for you?
Reply Quote

You mean you turned on a cheat to get to 9000 kills and it disabled achievements for you?

No i didn't use cheats and i was playing online.
Reply Quote

He's trolling you.
Reply Quote

He's trolling you.

Lol, I don't even know who is trolling who here... At first thought I thought it would be impossible to get 8-9k as I was down to 1k minerals (all mined out) at 3.5k kills. Granted, I could have played better but I doubt it would have been possible to play three times better. However, that was on Brutal.

On normal or so - where the enemy waves are seemingly a lot weaker - it may be possible to hold out for a lot longer as you repel all waves with little to no losses. Granted, it would take half a day to get that many kills on normal but I think it's doable.
Edited by PTZ on 8/23/2010 9:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]