StarCraft® II

Patch 1.5

Patch 1.5, it will not by any means solve this long-going problem. Patch 1.5 is nothing more then an update of convenience. In further detail, yes Blizzard stated that they will add an active game list. However, they did not state any change of the popularity system which must happen for this problem to be fixed.

As for my prediction, Blizzard is working on a way to make an active game list amongst the popularity system. For instance, Blizzard is going to make a popularity list of active popular games and what does that do? Patch 1.5 will only make it faster to get players into the game que of the few games on the first and second page of popularity, nothing more. As i myself stated, Patch 1.5 is nothing more then a convenience update. Also, the fact that Blizzard disabled comments on the patch, does not look good on their part either and is more proof that they are doing nothing to fix this problem.

True conclusion, all games should have a chance to be at the top of the list on the first page no matter how popular they are, plain and simple. Popularity should be nothing more then a side note in the description of each and every game.
Is there anyone who thinks this will fix anything? If so, give explicit reasons why.
Edited by Enigma on 5/31/2012 5:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Somewhat of a misleading title since the true patch 1.5 isn't there yet.

Personally, I would prefer the Open Game List to be the main list. However, Blizzard wants to cash in premium maps and the popularity list is the better main list towards that goal. Thus, it's certain to be stuck with the popularity list as the main list even in the best of realistic worlds.

My main concern is pretty much being able to play any unpopular map with public players without all the side trouble of having to try to drag people from channels, convince friends to play, joining the map's main site for more players, etc.

In addition, if I make a new decent map, I want a real chance to have its first glory week at the very least rather than it staying in the dark from day 1 to forever.
Reply Quote
Somewhat of a misleading title since the true patch 1.5 isn't there yet.

Personally, I would prefer the Open Game List to be the main list. However, Blizzard wants to cash in premium maps and the popularity list is the better main list towards that goal. Thus, it's certain to be stuck with the popularity list as the main list even in the best of realistic worlds.

My main concern is pretty much being able to play any unpopular map with public players without all the side trouble of having to try to drag people from channels, convince friends to play, joining the map's main site for more players, etc.

In addition, if I make a new decent map, I want a real chance to have its first glory week at the very least rather than it staying in the dark from day 1 to forever.

Nothing i stated here is misleading. I am not sure if you read the article of Patch 1.5, but everything here is based on what Blizzard stated in the article patch 1.5.

As for what i stated, do not forget that i said "my prediction", even though i am more then optimistic that my prediction is accurate.
Reply Quote

Personally, I would prefer the Open Game List to be the main list. However, Blizzard wants

An active game list in which popularity had nothing to do with would solve this problem 100% once and for all friend. As was underlined, "all games should have a chance to be at the top of the list on the first page no matter how popular they are"
Edited by Enigma on 5/31/2012 6:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/31/2012 05:34 PMPosted by Enigma
Blizzard is working on a way to make an active game list amongst the popularity system. For instance, Blizzard is going to make a popularity list of active popular games and what does that do?
Or they could do the opposite and make the least popular games on the top of the active list.
Reply Quote
I disagree, the popularity system and an active lobbies list could easily work together. As long as the time played in a game that was hosted in the active lobbies is added in the popularity system and the maps people host by joining lobbies through the popularity list are shown in the active lobbies list, it should work just dandy. With an active lobby system, the time played distribution as shown by the popularity system would be much more dispersed, accurate, and accessible.

You're asking them to withhold from us information,

"DON'T ALLOW US TO SORT MAPS BY POPULARITY"

You're forgetting the fact that the reason the popularity system doesn't work, is because a popularity system can't work alone for multiplayer games. It works for an app store because you don't need to get Y people together before buying an app. However, there's nothing wrong knowing how popular maps are, or being able to sort them by their popularity. It is very wrong to only be able to see how popular maps are.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. They have not explicitly stated that they're going to add an active lobbies system. All they said, I believe, was that they were going to provide more ways for the player to browse map and gave a bunch of examples, none of which were by active lobbies. As an Arcade Alpha invitant, I can confidently say that there will not be an active lobbies sorting option in the 1.5 patch for several reasons.
1. There are no public lobbies in 1.5
2. An active-games sorting system is currently not in the Alpha as of yet, why believe there will be?
3. They have not said there will be an active-games sorting option. No official statement has been made saying there would be.
4. I believe it was Malpheus who explained the whole new system is based on capitalizing popular maps. They're not going to mess that up by adding an active games list.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
That's a remarkably strident position to take, when all the facts aren't even remotely in about patch 1.5.0.

It will be possible to sort games by popularity, yes, but you can also sort to look for new games specifically as well as genre or star rating. The player will be defining how they look for games now.

Also, the fact that Blizzard disabled comments on the patch, does not look good on their part either and is more proof that they are doing nothing to fix this problem.

Just because one feedback thread was locked (because it drifted into inappropriate territory) doesn't mean that we're not interested in feedback. In fact, we very much want constructive feedback, and shortly there will be an entire forum dedicated to discussion of, and feedback for, the Arcade Beta.

2. An active-games sorting system is currently not in the Alpha as of yet, why believe there will be?

If we're talking about the same thing, and I believe that we are, it will be called the Open Games list.

There will be much more information about the Arcade Beta arriving soon. It might be wise not to make too many assumptions regarding what will or won't be present based on what you might have seen in the alpha.
Reply Quote
That's a remarkably strident position to take, when all the facts aren't even remotely in about patch 1.5.0.

It will be possible to sort games by popularity, yes, but you can also sort to look for new games specifically as well as genre or star rating. The player will be defining how they look for games now.

Also, the fact that Blizzard disabled comments on the patch, does not look good on their part either and is more proof that they are doing nothing to fix this problem.

Just because one feedback thread was locked (because it drifted into inappropriate territory) doesn't mean that we're not interested in feedback. In fact, we very much want constructive feedback, and shortly there will be an entire forum dedicated to discussion of, and feedback for, the Arcade Beta.

If we're talking about the same thing, and I believe that we are, it will be called the Open Games list.

There will be much more information about the Arcade Beta arriving soon. It might be wise not to make too many assumptions regarding what will or won't be present based on what you might have seen in the alpha.

Thanks for the clarification, do you know how the Open Games list is going to be sorted? for example, will the most recent opened lobby be on top of the list similar to how the list in War3 was?
Reply Quote
Will the most recent opened lobby be on top of the list similar to how the list in War3 was?

Yes.. that, and will all games have a chance at the top of the first page no matter how popular they are?

If the open lobby list will have all recent and active games at the the top of the first page no matter how popular they are, nobody will ever see me on these forums again. That is my word.
Edited by Enigma on 5/31/2012 10:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote

I've got one question...

Why in the worlds did you wait so long to become involved with these forums again. All of a sudden I am seeing more than a blue post every 4-5 months. I like the fact that our concerns are actually getting some attention but in case you haven't been looking here very often for the last year+ (and I suspect I'm right) the time to get involved was over a year ago before the community died.

I'm not complaining that us custom map players and modders are finally getting some notice but at this point its gonna take a lot more than a blue post and even fixing the system to recover at this point. If you want to have any chance of a cash cow for a premium map market you really need to speed up the pace.

Now I'm pretty well fed up with Blizzard but since I highly doubt these forums have been looking at (more than once in a blue moon) in the last few years I cannot help but wonder why projects making premium content such as these:

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i333/marshallwellington/Terrain009.jpg
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i333/marshallwellington/Terrain007.jpg
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i333/marshallwellington/WW2Diplo_Tiger2_Pic_1a.jpg
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i333/marshallwellington/m4a3e8_1A.jpg
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i333/marshallwellington/Screenshot2011-11-1100_12_36.jpg
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i333/marshallwellington/WW2Diplo_IS2_1a.jpg
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i333/marshallwellington/Tiger2_1c.jpg

And from the modeler's page:
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff411/ryan9001/Ryans%20WW2%20Diplo%20Modeling/AlaskaClassCruiserShowcaseSmall.png
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff411/ryan9001/Ryans%20WW2%20Diplo%20Modeling/ShermanEasy8Renders-1.png
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff411/ryan9001/Ryans%20WW2%20Diplo%20Modeling/CombinedTankShowcaseMarch1.png
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff411/ryan9001/Ryans%20WW2%20Diplo%20Modeling/Render2.jpg
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff411/ryan9001/Ryans%20WW2%20Diplo%20Modeling/UnitShowcaseLowPolyFinished.jpg
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff411/ryan9001/Ryans%20WW2%20Diplo%20Modeling/BasicLibertyShip.jpg

Didn't get some official notice. If there even 5 groups doing custom models on this scale I'd be surprised (I only know of 3 and I've been around a bit). Not to mention you are down a group now.
Reply Quote

Can you please tell us what this Open Games list is about in the next batch of information?

It'd probably also stop quite a bit of whining on these forums.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
06/01/2012 02:22 AMPosted by Thorgan
Can you please tell us what this Open Games list is about in the next batch of information?

You'll have an opportunity to experience it for yourself very soon. Check it out:

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/6176111/The_Patch_150_Arcade_Beta_Has_Begun-6_1_2012#blog
Edited by Daxxarri on 6/1/2012 12:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
Very soon? But you can try it right no--

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/159/034/invisible.jpg
Edited by TheSkunk on 6/1/2012 11:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
:D
Will certainly check this out tomorrow.
Reply Quote
06/01/2012 11:35 AMPosted by TheSkunk
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/159/034/invisible.jpg
That's ridiculous. He'd obviously use an ancient Protoss relic, not some primitive Terran ri
Reply Quote
I still do not think the problem has gone anywhere..
Reply Quote
I don't know why you're saying that. Yesterday I played a game where I hosted a map that wasn't very popular and got a game started fairly quickly.

I don't feel bad about what I said about open games never coming. Its been two years, I think it was justified.

05/31/2012 08:00 PMPosted by Daxxarri

Its been two years.
Reply Quote
I don't know why you're saying that. Yesterday I played a game where I hosted a map that wasn't very popular and got a game started fairly quickly.

I don't feel bad about what I said about open games never coming. Its been two years, I think it was justified.

Its been two years.

Not quite that long but I think its fair to say that I also don't feel bad about the !@#$ thats come from my posts.

What have we learned from this experience?

Instead of fixing a very broken multiplayer system imediatly after release they instead chose to leave it to the expansion.

Lession learned: With the new Activision-Blizzard, wait until after the first expansion to consider buying the game.
Reply Quote
don't be so mean with them , i agree that activision is making presion on them , but they are trying all what they can so that they can give a great experience , with at the same time not making activision be mad at them for not making money , like i know we all like lan and all but not having lan has made the game actually not have so many piracy , however with the launch of several tools to use piracy on starcraft 2 i would ask them to reconsider if not having lan is something good... second , the opens gamelist is something we all like but.. would we really want a list with 1 map hosted per player , since now blizzard will host the games and not the users which will make noobs host 5000 games and we won't be able to find games easily , i propose giving a limited hosting per player per day , like users will be able to host 12 times per day using blizzards server, and if you want you can host it yourself by activating an option which will give experienced users better chance to show good maps, instead of map spamming.

-Darklycan51
Edited by Darklycan on 6/2/2012 6:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]