StarCraft® II

HotS campaign

What do you think is going to change in HOTS campaign compared to WOL campagin. Objectives, layout, bases, targets, goals, missions.
For example:
Pedestrians probably will no longer have to be targeted to be killed. They will be killed by zerg with an a-move command, but will have a small priority less than an scv.
Pedestrian kill count could be a goal as part of a destruction of a planet/city.

Or:
Usually in WOL you could camp out turtle and max out an army on one base. And there weren't much available options for expos.
In HOTS i think that gaining expos might be an objective, and that expansions will be more encouraged and offered or possibly have multiple starting bases.
Reply Quote
Would be amazing. I like the idea of slaughtering countless innocent, unarmed civilians as I break apart Terran cities.
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 06:46 PMPosted by blitz
Would be amazing. I like the idea of slaughtering countless innocent, unarmed civilians as I break apart Terran cities.

ik right!
Do you have any other suggestions?
Reply Quote
We'll probably see research opportunities in the form of hunting down local fauna.

Also, a greater emphasis on heros.
Reply Quote
Not so much of a "campaign" difference so much as individual mission differences I can see are:

Infiltration missions for the Zerg. As opposed to "small team" missions for Terrans.

Ambush missions for the Zerg. As opposed to "defend this convey" missions for Terrans.

Timed "kill everyone" missions for the Zerg. As opposed to timed "hold out" missions for Terrans.
Reply Quote
Not so much of a "campaign" difference so much as individual mission differences I can see are:

Infiltration missions for the Zerg. As opposed to "small team" missions for Terrans.

Ambush missions for the Zerg. As opposed to "defend this convey" missions for Terrans.

Timed "kill everyone" missions for the Zerg. As opposed to timed "hold out" missions for Terrans.

Yes.

Yes.

DEAR GOD NO MORE TIMED MISSIONS.
Reply Quote

Yes.

Yes.

I don't like them either, but I think some people do, because they keep doing them.
Reply Quote

Yes.

Yes.

I don't like them either, but I think some people do, because they keep doing them.

Eh, I mean like 2 or 3 at most plz.

Also, why was the OP reported? Silly rabbits, HotS campaign forum is for stuff on...HotS campaign.
Edited by blitz on 6/4/2012 6:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Eh, I mean like 2 or 3 at most plz.

Also, why was the OP reported? Silly rabbits, HotS campaign forum is for stuff on...HotS campaign.

Because people on the internet are kinda slooooow.
Reply Quote
Blitz and Justin, you just took this from a good topic to a fantastic one. lol
Reply Quote
Well no more boring holdout and mining missions thats for sure.

- Viral Tactics: Spread an infestation among an enemy populace to overwhelm the opposing base.

- Assimilation: Assimilate a new, useful species into the Swarm.

- Invasion: Launch a planet-wide attack on the enemy. Several objectives are designated to help disable planetary defenses. There are Zerg forces engaging hostile troops(probably Terrans) in the background areas. Most likely on a large platform area in an urban city.

- Carnivorous Expedition: Travel to areas of Xelnaga origin and discover plans for the Zerg.

That's my idea of what could happen. Idk why they reported the guy either. This is a pretty epic thread if you ask me. TROLLS! IT WAS YOU WASN'T IT?!?

*5 Hours Later*

This Post has been reported.
Edited by UltraNoob on 6/5/2012 2:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
i liked romeos take on the timed missions. i too think it would make sense (and be kinda cool as well) to have to destroy all the enemies rather than turtle from the enemies (ie. zero hour in WoL).

also, as they kinda revealed already, the missions will probably emphasize on giving you the feeling of evolving; like making you kill things (like the yetis in silence their cries) and absorb their DNA to become more powerful / resilient against your foes.
Reply Quote
I believe the assimilating fauna could replace the mercenary function....
Reply Quote
07/08/2012 11:31 AMPosted by Morte
I believe the assimilating fauna could replace the mercenary function....

I feel the assimilation would be more likely to replace the tech tree (the Protoss and Zerg research). Obviously, nothing has to necessarily correlate directly, as they are going to consist of different game mechanics.

I know some missions will involve going to Dominion labs where testing was done on Zerg. Perhaps installation-like maps similar to the first Starcaft?
Reply Quote
I posted this earlier, but it seems to apply here as well.
It would be reasonable to expect blizzard to use a similiar setup to the Wings of Liberty storyline. At the start of the game (Wings of Liberty/Heart of the Swarm) our hero (Jim Raynor/Sarah Kerrigan) started on a familiar planet (Mar Sara/Char) with a small army. The rest of the game was dedicated to upgrading units (Armory/Evolution Beast) between missions and unlocking new units by completing missions. (I.e. conquering some space station to unlock mutalisks?)
Blizzard will probably re-use ideas which worked well in Warcraft 3 or Starcraft 1. (Gasp the expansion has a new snow tileset? A new Air Unit and a new ground spellcaster per race?) I figure a few of the missions will be very familiar.
1. capturing new eggs faster than an opposing queen is very similiar to the culling of stratholme from the human campaign in warcraft 3. 2. the fall of silvermoon (Undead Campaign WC3) where a fast moving air unit (Gargoyles/Mutalisks) picked off messengers so that you only had to fight one base at a time3. They may also have 2 part missions like the attack on the Kel-Morian combine planets to mine thousands of minerals followed by a mission where the zerg player starts with thousands of minerals and must conquer an entire map. (Brood war Zerg Campaign)
Most of these missions will be defined by the Zerg units that are being unlocked. (Expect the Mutalisk map to be a chance to island hop, the roach map to be against forces with no stealth detection)
The real question is what we will fight against. Will the protoss A.I. have access to all the air units we have seen from the games (Scout,Corair,Arbiter,Carriers,Void Rays, Phoenix, Mothership,this new long range unit)? Will dark archons return?
Edit-The total number of missions is around 20, while Zerg only have around 14 combat units (including lurker and scourge from SC1) so we can also expect some levels playing with another race. (Probably Protoss, since thier expansion comes last.)
Edited by Culane on 7/10/2012 5:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/10/2012 05:29 PMPosted by Culane
It would be reasonable to expect blizzard to use a similiar setup to the Wings of Liberty storyline. At the start of the game (Wings of Liberty/Heart of the Swarm) our hero (Jim Raynor/Sarah Kerrigan) started on a familiar planet (Mar Sara/Char) with a small army. The rest of the game was dedicated to upgrading units (Armory/Evolution Beast) between missions and unlocking new units by completing missions. (I.e. conquering some space station to unlock mutalisks?)

It appears there will be inherent differences to the campaign mechanics, as they planned to do this from the start:

Like Wings of Liberty, the player will be presented with choices as to which missions to carry out and which units to get, but such choices won't be based on cash. Both the missions and their objectives are intended to be quite different from the ones featured in Wings of Liberty...The missions of the game are intended to have a different feel than those in Wings of Liberty. In the first game of the trilogy, the zerg were rarely engaged directly and instead, it was about Raynor side-stepping them while completing his objectives. In Heart of the Swarm, the missions are more offensive in nature, such as preventing anyone from escaping an invaded planet.

(Gasp the expansion has a new snow tileset? A new Air Unit and a new ground spellcaster per race?)

Snow tileset is something that should've been seen in the first, but whatever, no big deal. But your generalization of the new units is simply wrong. In fact, no race received both a new air unit and a new ground caster.

The real question is what we will fight against.

It is intended that the missions strike a balance in regards to foes, with terrans, zerg, and protoss getting equal limelight...Many hybrids will appear in the campaign as opponents to Kerrigan.

Edit-The total number of missions is around 20, while Zerg only have around 14 combat units (including lurker and scourge from SC1) so we can also expect some levels playing with another race. (Probably Protoss, since thier expansion comes last.)

I disagree completely. There were nearly 30 missions in the first and the Protoss campaign was 2 expansions away. Meanwhile, this game is shorter but 'tighter' (as the developers said), so the reasons for a mini-campaign are no longer present and would detract from an already short campaign.

It seems you're making a lot of unfavorable predictions about the expansion being nothing new with no actual facts.

Sorry for the giant post.
Reply Quote
@Morte, Romeo, etc.
This was included in my previous post, but for everyone who mentioned something on this theme:

The missions of the game are intended to have a different feel than those in Wings of Liberty. In the first game of the trilogy, the zerg were rarely engaged directly and instead, it was about Raynor side-stepping them while completing his objectives. In Heart of the Swarm, the missions are more offensive in nature, such as preventing anyone from escaping an invaded planet.
Reply Quote
by assimilating i didnt mean assimilating things like yetis. I was talkin bout those bird doodads you see on the WOL maps. This is something i posted on a forum http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/2592645527#17 :

maybe you ll be able to assimilate animals on the map like those birds you see on multiplayer. The first time it costs u mutagen. But after that its free! All you have to do is roam the map a bit infest something and you get free units! albeit weaker though....

Just should add some variability to the game. As these creature might have interesting but weak abilities (weak compared to psionic storm and fungle). And you will be searching for new interesting animals

Terran: _____________ Zerg:
Money______________ Mutagen
Expensive ___________ 0
For hire _____________Forced/assimilated
tough ______________ weak

Of course if your assimilating a special unit. Like a yeti the weak could be changed to a strong. I think however if you assimilate on of the smaller one it should defenitly be weaker
Reply Quote
maybe even an infiltration mission where you have to investigate an entire base with one overseer. and NOT have them know you were there.
The difficulties of the mission could include:
Getting the changeling to morph in the first place
Making the Changeling stick in so the AI doesn't 'recognize' it
Scouting the objectives of the entire base before it dies
im not sure wat the bonus objectives shud be.
Also the campaign changeling should fit the lore. And have the same HP as usually but a melee attack kin in damage and range of a DT's. In order to represent those spikes it had in the stories and allow for some variety in terms of assassination.
Reply Quote
maybe even an infiltration mission where you have to investigate an entire base with one overseer. and NOT have them know you were there.
The difficulties of the mission could include:
Getting the changeling to morph in the first place
Making the Changeling stick in so the AI doesn't 'recognize' it
Scouting the objectives of the entire base before it dies
im not sure wat the bonus objectives shud be.
Also the campaign changeling should fit the lore. And have the same HP as usually but a melee attack kin in damage and range of a DT's. In order to represent those spikes it had in the stories and allow for some variety in terms of assassination.

To explain the lore, I think that Changelings can be defended from easily if you see it coming, like someone trying to shove a knife in your back (and you have a gun). When Marines are outside and on patrol, they're more likely to get suspicious if one of the other Marines is trying to get oddly close to them. Mining SCVs don't keep spread out formation (they ignore pathing), so they might be a little more vulnerable, but then again, mining SCVs are moving, and I'd say a changeling would have a harder time killing a moving target. The place where changelings would be more dangerous is in structures, where people regularly get closer than they would be in a battle formation.
Edited by Engineer on 7/11/2012 12:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]