StarCraft® II

StarCraft II - Patch 1.5 Mac OS X 10.5 No Longer Supported

Support Forum Agent
Update 8/13:

We no longer support Mac OS X 10.5 with patch 1.5 release. Players are no longer able to launch the game using Mac OS X 10.5 or previous versions of the Mac OS. We recommend Mac users upgrade their systems to Mac OS X 10.7.4 (or newer) immediately. Technical support will still be available for Mac OS X 10.8 and Mac OS X 10.7 per the policy noted here. Visit the support site for more Mac-related information and help.

--------

As of last week’s release of StarCraft II Patch 1.5 beta, we are transitioning into a period of “soft support” for Mac OS X 10.5, which will last for approximately one month. During this time, you will be able to continue playing the live version of StarCraft II (Patch 1.4.3); however, we will evaluate which technical issues we will address for Mac OS X 10.5 users on a case-by-case basis (focusing on the most critical issues impacting the majority of our players). Once StarCraft II Patch 1.5 is officially released, Mac OS X 10.5 will no longer be supported, and you will no longer be able to patch the game.

We are giving players advance notice of this change to ensure Mac users have enough time to update their operating systems in preparation for the release of StarCraft II Patch 1.5. We will provide an additional update when we no longer provide technical support for Mac OS X 10.5. Mac OS X 10.6 and Mac OS X 10.7 will continue to be fully supported per the recently posted Mac OS Support policy here. For more Mac-related information and help, visit the support site.
Edited by Machkhan on 8/13/2012 4:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
Good riddance 10.5.8. Hello actual graphics engine progress, not tied down by backwards compatability to dead OSes.
Edited by Omega on 6/8/2012 12:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hi guys, I have a few questions about patch 1.5 beta. Sorry for the blabbering post, but I'm really jonesing for this problem to be done with. First, I've had that nasty memory sink problem that a lot of mac users have complained about on the forums ever since 1.4.0 I think was the patch when it started. I've never had a problem with fps (i prefer to play on all low settings, so I probably lucked out there) during the game, other than starting 3-4 seconds into the game (I'm under the impression this is widespread among mac users, but if it is something I could fix I would relish the chance to get my first drone started at :01 lol). About a month ago, the crashes became frequent enough that I got worried about having to hard shutdown so much. So I installed the smc fan control app to control my fans (at the time i thought perhaps my iMac was overheating and the freeze up was the system protecting itself from overheating damage). The crashes became ever so slightly less common (every 3-4 days), until about 2 weeks ago. I went through every single blue post ever written on troubleshooting this issue, and followed every single one of their instructions (i thought ) to a tee. All was for naught, and in a last ditch effort i downloaded the app FreeMemory (from what I understand it's just a churched up version of the terminal Purge command for non tech savvy consumers willing to shell out .99.... like me. Every hour or so of gaming I check the memory status (i play in windowed fullscreen), and it steadily drops form around 1 gb "available" to a few hundred KB. it hovers here for a few more hours until it plummets down to 60ish KB. If I catch it in time, i can free the memory and I jump back up to 1gb. Some posters much more qualified than I seemed convinced it had something to do with sc2 not auto reading inactive ram like other applications in osx do, but I'm not sure what to make of it. I don't play with Skype anymore for fear of hastening my ram decline, i don't play with grooveshark on either. Bright side, the method appears to be working, I have yet to have a crash in the past week, and my temp has never gone above 50. But having to run that Purge memory app every other game is frustrating, and the anxiety I feel during the game is palpable (what if THIS is the game it freezes). Not here to whine, just wanted to try my best and explain my situation to you obviously super knowledgable fellows who can probably make much more of this information than I can . A few more things: (1) I don't know the thread offhand, but I read an op post from a technical sounding gent who was having similar (but not identical mind you) issues and he narrowed it down to something to do with the smc fan control preferences, or settings...I'm not quite sure what his conclusion was, but since we both had the same problem and both used the same fan app I thought maybe you guys had heard of that happening before (2) I was reading over the blue troubleshooting steps (repair disk permissions, repair sc2, etc.) and we ticking each off in my head as completed until I got to the uninstall/reinstall the sc2 client. I'm pretty sure I did not move all the folders the blue poster said needed to go into the trash. So...could a partial game client sitting next to a newly downloaded one perhaps cause some issues similar to mine?
So I suppose I just wrote that embarrassingly long winded novel to ask you if beta 1.5 is slated to address any of my above listed issues, or if they are instead a unique problem that I am burdened with.

<3s to whoever read that whole thing and still has the heart to help me out. I know that you guys always ask for something like "system specs", but I have no ideas how to get that lol, but I'lll be more than happy to follow instructions
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
You should probably put some more line breaks in there and format it prettier. That's a monster wall of text.. Also, this thread is more about the OS X transition information and discussion then actual patch changes. you might just want to make a new thread with general 1.5 questions and concerns not pertaining to the dropping of 10.5 (and soon 10.6.8)
Reply Quote
Well its not letting me play anymore. I am running 10.5 and cant play online.
Reply Quote
How can we go about updating our Mac OS x software? I've been trying to download a more up-to-date version, however I cannot find 10.6 anywhere on the apple site, and I need that to update further.

Right now I'm still on 10.5.8 =/
Reply Quote
As far as I can tell, you must buy OS X Snow Leopard (aka 10.6) by calling a physical Mac Store or by going into one. Mac no longer offers purchase of Snow Leopard (10.6) from the main website. I am having the same problem and I am more apt to quit Starcraft than deal with all that...
Reply Quote
I tried repair, downloading the patch manually, and then rebooting my computer and nothing budged. Then I found the post ^ that stated that the game I payed $100 for (or it's server) was "transitioning" ... blah blah blah... basically telling me that I'm sol and somehow they feel that leaving me in the dust is their best possible business decision.

I didn't even get the month to try and update my comp. Looks like I get to pay more money to play a game I already payed for... ?

That's bullsh*t. I'm running 10.5.8 fine, I shouldn't have to update my OS just because some game server can't stop patching their f*cking sh*t (which apparently only Korea needs in the first place) until my OS becomes obsolete. Btw my OS was perfectly operational with the game with very little problems from day one.

Whatever... I'm alittle butthurt.
Reply Quote
I tried repair, downloading the patch manually, and then rebooting my computer and nothing budged. Then I found the post ^ that stated that the game I payed $100 for (or it's server) was "transitioning" ... blah blah blah... basically telling me that I'm sol and somehow they feel that leaving me in the dust is their best possible business decision.

I didn't even get the month to try and update my comp. Looks like I get to pay more money to play a game I already payed for... ?

That's bullsh*t. I'm running 10.5.8 fine, I shouldn't have to update my OS just because some game server can't stop patching their f*cking sh*t (which apparently only Korea needs in the first place) until my OS becomes obsolete. Btw my OS was perfectly operational with the game with very little problems from day one.

Whatever... I'm alittle butthurt.

Agreed
Reply Quote
Yeh what a rinse! Never had a problem with 10.5.8 and now this bollocks. A complete joke!
Reply Quote
So, am I right in saying that there will be no possibility to play the game whatsoever if I have 10.5.8? Cause right now I can't even get past the downloader. I would at least like the ability to play offline or something. My game is just rendered entirely useless because of this little shenanigan then? Now if that is the case...I think I am rightfully agitated and ready for some kind of compensation. I just purchased this game like a month ago and haven't even played it cause I was going through the original Starcraft's campaigns. If I am just misunderstanding this whole thing that is fine, but if it is just a brick in my hardrive with no playablility...where's my money?
Reply Quote
Same Raleigh
Reply Quote
Great, I got this game less then a week ago and I already can't play it anymore.
Reply Quote
Is blizzard going to discontinue 10.6.8 after HotS/before LotV? If so you can say goodbye to me.
Reply Quote
haha awesome. thanks blizzard. oh wait! sc2 worked FINE with 10.5!
Reply Quote
go to f&*%ing hell. I buy your game and now you won't let me play it? I want my 50 dollars back.
Reply Quote
Yeah, that's bush league. I'm already annoyed (but understanding) w/ D3 not supporting 10.5, but this is garbage. This is more annoying than dropping the PowerPC client for WoW. I don't need 10.6. Yes, the graphics APIs are better, but I don't need them, and I don't need to run SC2 (or almost any game) at max settings. I can't "just upgrade to 10.6" b/c it's a pain in the neck to find a copy (b/c Apple decided not to sell it on their own website, go figure), and I have some old System 9 emulators that are very fragile, and getting them (or their upgraded versions) working in 10.6 is a nightmare.

At the bare minimum, you could fix the damn downloader to not freeze up and prevent me from playing offline.
Edited by Cacophony on 7/31/2012 6:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/31/2012 11:15 AMPosted by Raleigh
As far as I can tell, you must buy OS X Snow Leopard (aka 10.6) by calling a physical Mac Store or by going into one. Mac no longer offers purchase of Snow Leopard (10.6) from the main website. I am having the same problem and I am more apt to quit Starcraft than deal with all that...

I actually went to a physical Apple store (in a mall, which probably means something) and they said they don't sell 10.6 hard copies anymore.
Reply Quote
I don't understand, if you knew the system requirements would change why wasn't it on the box? Do I get a refund? I feel like I bought a car and the dealership told me there was a recall on the tires my car came equipped with and had to be replaced with bigger better tires, but too big for my car to actually turn the axle with. I said no! I don't want these tires but the dealership insisted.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]