StarCraft® II

StarCraft II - Patch 1.5 Mac OS X 10.5 No Longer Supported

could you imagine a console game doing this. hey we want to keep adding to our game but all these xbox people who purchased it are holding us back from adding these cool ui changes. should we just put it in the expansion? nah just drop the people who cant afford to own both systems. who cares if they can no longer play what they paid for.
Reply Quote
Thank you, Blizzard, for all your brilliance in making us buy your product and leaving us dependent on your damn patches that lead us to have to "spend more money" just to play online with others... Also, preventing us from even playing offline without the most current patch is "genius"!
Edited by Tolebon on 8/1/2012 11:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
08/01/2012 06:42 PMPosted by stankystank
t was easy, 3 years ago, when people should have upgraded. 10.6 was a significant update over 10.5. it updated opengl massively over 10.5.8, optimized the intel code signifcantly. added a ton more 64 bit support. cleaned out a bunch of obsolete junk. ifeature wise it wasn't much of a user interfae change from 10.5, but the update was so sigifnicant, at the time most games required it upright immediately after it came out, any new game pretty much required it. sc2 was generous up to this point but it's since evolved to point it can't tolerate such obsoleteness any longer.

Hey dude, are you kidding me? If you want to make this point, why would you be so crude and pretentious about operating systems that are--by the way--the best that some people can afford, and that have worked with your game for years without problems?

And 'sc2 was generous to this point?' Is this a joke? We payed 60 dollars for your game because you said it would work on our computers... and now you're position is that you were generous to include us in the first place, and that you can you no longer tolerate the obseleteness of the very same operating system you deemed compatible? Yet, at the same time, you acknowledge that it is the evolution of your game that makes it no longer compatible, and you offer no apology, or admittance of guilt in any way?

And yet, you didn't change the system requirements to 10.6 on sc2 boxes way in advance, knowing full well that customers wouldn't be able to play online any more in a manner of months? You just took your incoming community's money, 'generously,'--to put it in your own words--as you released, in the background, warning messages that you intended to remove us from participating in your game without any sort of recompense?

I mean, wow. This is the worst response I have ever seen a company representative from a place like blizzard give. It purely addresses technical jargon that should not be the concern of customers you have accepted the money of, and seems to infer that you have no sense of responsibility towards your community members who simply cannot afford to upgrade their operating system to continue playing a game they have all ready payed for.

You guys want to have someone else try to tackle this one? Err?...

Omega is a forum MVP; he probably doesn't work for Blizz.

Also, I don't think Blizz originally planned for this. IMO it was the complaints about custom games and the like that convinced Blizzard to create a patch like this.
Reply Quote
After reading all of these comments, I can say without a doubt that the general consensus (and I agree) is.... f*ck you blizzard, f*ck everything you stand for, listen to your customers for once, and once again f*ck you.
Reply Quote
Why sell us a game that we won't be able to play because you "update" it?
Been playing fine on 10.5.8 for 2 years, now I can't play at all??? At least let those who run this system have their own "outdated" version of starcraft.

If you are going to, literally, take the game away, give me my money back.

GRRRRRRR

I also agree. Been playing Blizzard games since the first Warcraft Came out and every game since then... This actually just made me question my undying loyalty... I have put up with your ridiculous production times for games with ease because I know your product is good, but to do this change on me is very disappointing. I don't know if you are going to lose me as a customer, but you really might for putting this over on me and everyone... It hurts.

Sincerely your customer that is always right.
Reply Quote
Blizzard, if you're going to create a game that requires it always to be connected to battle.net to play, has to patch, can't be used for LAN, all of which *only* punishes the users who paid for it legally...

...and then you break the game, against the contract of system requirements, you've done two things.

1) You alienate a bunch of fans.
2) You genuinely risk a class action lawsuit. A pretty straightforward one.

Did you guys REALLY not consult your legal team? Jeez, this is pretty obvious. The smartest thing to do is BEFORE the debacle went down, immediately offer a refund for all users on 10.5, tied to the purchase price of the date installed. Pretty simple.

sincerely,
raised by lawyers -.-

P.S. Haven't forgotten you deleted my characters in Diablo II back in 2002 when I never used any cheats, nor responded to my heartfelt-for-a-15-year-old email detailing it.
Reply Quote
WTF Blizzard ... I'm sorry but when I buy my sc2 game it was specify on the box (yes I buy it on a shop :P ) than that game was good for mac OS X 10,5,8 and it's exactly why I buy it ... because I was able to play on my computer with my actual OS ... I'm sorry, but it's your thing, Blizzard, to support that vesion of OS on all the life of the game (I paid to play for the all life of the game).

And it's not normal than I'm not able to play with sc2 just because you are too lazy or just because you want safe some money with no more supporting Mac OS10,5,8

Sorry but SHAME on you Blizzard for that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply Quote
youre going to have to spend around 50+ USD to purchase a higher version of that mac... or no sc2 for u.. pretty much what that mod said. and my dvd drive thing doesnt accept disks... so im screwed.. i need a new computer completely... i have to spend 1-2 thousand dollars in order to play sc2 again... good fight me.. no more master top 15 for me..
Edited by TRAGIC on 8/2/2012 5:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
good job blizz good job -_-
Reply Quote
Sign the petition

https://www.change.org/petitions/blizzard-entertainment-revert-starcraft-ii-patch-1-5-2
Reply Quote
Hello!

After an extensive review of the circumstance you have described, we have determined that the StarCraft account does not qualify for a refund. We have a 14 day refund policy, and it looks like you purchased the game in 2010.

Just about what I expected. This game should have an expiration date. lol
Reply Quote
So Blizzard should say thanks for purchasing our game, but you are srewed if you have a MAC!!!!!
Reply Quote
Where is a Blizzard rep, why are'nt they responding??? IF he or she does respond ,how about they come up with a solution other then purchasing a new computer
Reply Quote
Blizzard READ this "Minmum System Requirements PC/MAC 12GB available HD space/ 1GGB RAM(1.5 GB required for Windows Vista/ Windows 7users,2GB for MAC users DVD -ROM driver /Broadband internet connection/ 1024x720 minmum display resolution. "This is straight from your box, oh bye the way my computer mets those requirments and I run 10.5.8 MAC" SO WHY CAN'T I PLAY ONLINE?
Reply Quote
How can you do this to your customer base? Oh, yea the little people get forgot about, who cares if they liked they game, they don't have money!!!!
Reply Quote
I am just as frustrated as everyone else because I can't play right now. I'm sure Blizzard had no intention of alienating all of their Mac fan base. Hopefully they are working on finding a solution.
Reply Quote
08/02/2012 09:20 PMPosted by Liberator
Blizzard READ this "Minmum System Requirements PC/MAC 12GB available HD space/ 1GGB RAM(1.5 GB required for Windows Vista/ Windows 7users,2GB for MAC users DVD -ROM driver /Broadband internet connection/ 1024x720 minmum display resolution. "This is straight from your box, oh bye the way my computer mets those requirments and I run 10.5.8 MAC" SO WHY CAN'T I PLAY ONLINE?

There is also the part on the box that says under the PC/Mac section:
*Note: Due to potential programming changes, the Minimum System Requirements for this game may change over time.

Not saying they are just for doing it, but seems like everyone is only look at the top port and not the Bolded letters that are below it.
Edited by Kayinn on 8/3/2012 1:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Dear Blizzard,

Thank you for kicking me out of the starcraft community. Now, I will have more time for reading and spending time with my family.

With your terrible policy decisions, you have helped me realize the place of video games in my life. Way to make people not want to play anymore. Seems your goal should be the opposite.

Thanks for many years of good gaming, and best of luck to your company and the poor souls who spend more money on their computers to meet your unnecessary new patch.

Sincerely,

Used-To-Play-Starcraft
Reply Quote
Has anyone else requested a refund? You know you have to if you expect to get paid in the future.
Reply Quote
Dear Blizzard,

Thank you for kicking me out of the starcraft community. Now, I will have more time for reading and spending time with my family.

With your terrible policy decisions, you have helped me realize the place of video games in my life. Way to make people not want to play anymore. Seems your goal should be the opposite.

Thanks for many years of good gaming, and best of luck to your company and the poor souls who spend more money on their computers to meet your unnecessary new patch.

Sincerely,

Used-To-Play-Starcraft

Well said I am using this as well. One of the few games I enjoyed playing. I would like my money back. Thank you.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]