StarCraft® II

Q&A for Lower League Players (Week 37)

In PvP is the 3 Stalker rush viable and if so how would I execute it.

When you see floating Terran factory in a fight should you kill it or try to ignore it?
In PvT is it ever worthwhile to use cannons to defend all ins?

Thank you in advance.

1) Yeah, it works. Alot of people will pressure and then try to sneak a quick expansion in.

2) Depends if you know where there army is. If its a long ways away feel free to kill the factory.

3) No, cannons are pretty bad against stopping terran allins.
Reply Quote
I dont know the names of build orders (forgive the noobness)
But all my terren opponants are fast expanding/ making alot of racks and pushing out with huge quantities of rines.

How can i punish them for that expand?

Just expand yourself while teching. Get some collosus up and you're good.
Reply Quote
06/06/2012 02:03 PMPosted by RaMBO
what are some key things to focus on when laddering in regards to getting better including watching replays?

Pick one build order and practice it till its instintive. After that try another one and learn to choose which one is best based upon your scouting.
Reply Quote
Hmmm, slow day. This just made the most popular thread list. :-/
Reply Quote
06/06/2012 02:03 PMPosted by RaMBO
what are some key things to focus on when laddering in regards to getting better including watching replays?

I'd make sure to just focus on 1 or 2 things at a time. Drastic changes have too much variance to tell whether you improved. I work almost exclusively from replays and watch all mine religiously almost to a fault.

Things to focus on are your balance of money between minerals and gas. If you are high on one, but short on the other its a good indication that something is off in your build as far as when you are getting your gas and how many probes are going into it.

Watch your Nexus to make sure you are always producing probes and using your chronoboost. With the possible exception of stopping probe production for very specific reasons.

Watch your probe saturation between bases so that you end up with 16 on minerals at each base before you start over-saturating either one. Or at least that you don't have something like 30 at one base and 6 at the other (not counting gas).

Look at what they did that surprised you and see if you could have improved your scouting in some way to detect it (unless they are terran, because life just sucks sometimes). Look at where you had your army positioned based on the information you had.

Compare what you have at any point to what the opponent has. If you ever see a time where you are like "whoa I'm glad they didn't attack there or I would have straight up lost" you probably did something wrong leading up to that moment. Even if they don't attack, you should learn to prepare for the time they do. There is a possible exception to this in cutting corners with your builds, but you should be aware of the risks you are taking and minimize them as much as possible.

Check your forges to make sure they are being used to their full extent.

Make sure you are teching when the you can and not over focusing on unit production. Toss is a bit different from terran who are of the mind "always be building"
Reply Quote
06/06/2012 02:57 PMPosted by Blueduck

I feel like cheering, but I'm not sure that's a good thing. It's likely to draw in all the random complaining and stuff that goes on in the general chat.
Reply Quote
^ is better than my answer :D
Reply Quote
06/06/2012 03:04 PMPosted by wraithcube

I feel like cheering, but I'm not sure that's a good thing. It's likely to draw in all the random complaining and stuff that goes on in the general chat.

You new Wrathcube? I haven't seen you posting much before.

Your answers are of course excellent and I was just curiuos as your name seems new. :)
Reply Quote
Fairly new. I read through these forums every now and then, mostly just to see what the latest complaints are because somehow bronze players complaining about OP void rays and battlecruisers makes me smile.

Only started posting more recently when I realized that the protoss section is actually filled with people trying to improve. Ended up on sidewinder's "how to beat zerg" stream, but had to leave 5 minutes into it to go fix a power supply problem in a friend's computer. Should probably actually watch that at some point, but PvZ is my best matchup.

Almost made it to diamond (hopefully with the season switchover). It's taken some adjustment to get used to starcraft after coming from the C&C games for so long and blizzard hasn't made it easy to advance leagues without a really high win percentage.
Reply Quote
Fairly new. I read through these forums every now and then, mostly just to see what the latest complaints are because somehow bronze players complaining about OP void rays and battlecruisers makes me smile.

Only started posting more recently when I realized that the protoss section is actually filled with people trying to improve. Ended up on sidewinder's "how to beat zerg" stream, but had to leave 5 minutes into it to go fix a power supply problem in a friend's computer. Should probably actually watch that at some point, but PvZ is my best matchup.

Almost made it to diamond (hopefully with the season switchover). It's taken some adjustment to get used to starcraft after coming from the C&C games for so long and blizzard hasn't made it easy to advance leagues without a really high win percentage.

ic

Well I welcome you then. I personally find the protoss forum tends not to have tons of QQ on it. You will probably want to stay away from the general forum though...
Reply Quote
thx for the help
Reply Quote
How exactly do protoss reproduce? I feel like this a question that is always avoided.
Edited by Samurai on 6/6/2012 5:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
1.Are high templars viable in PvP?

2. Is it fine to get templar tech instead of collosi for aoe and use robo for obs & warp prism harass in PvT?
Edited by wildwind on 6/6/2012 7:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
If I do a 2 gate double Stargate mass Phoenix +range upgrade vs zerg on 1 base at about 12 minutes and he starts to make hydras, should I call off the harass and expand into colossus/HT tech, or continue producing Phoenixes to go for a straight up battle against the hydras? Or expand and then go Carriers, seeing as I already have a Fleet Beacon and two Stargates?

P.S. This is assuming that I have killed about 70 percent of his overlords, 10-15 drones, and a Queen or two, having built about 8-12 range upgrade Phoenixes. The reason I ask, is that Phoenixes seem to be quite decent against Hydralisks for cost, since their high DPS vs light allows them to kill hydras in 4 shots. I have been experimenting with this, but not enough Zerg players make hydras for me to test phoenix vs Hydralisk effectiveness in a realistic scenario.
Reply Quote
Yeah, I've tried the seven minute version. I prefer going in at twelve though, because I have more Phoenixes by then and can do damage a lot faster. Also, waiting allows the energy of the earlier Phoenixes to regen a bit, so I don't run out of Graviton Beams at a crucial time. I prefer Carrier to Colossi though I think, just because I'm significantly better at microing air units than ground.

edit: If I decide to go Carrier, how many Stargates should I build?
Edited by Owlfeathers on 6/6/2012 8:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
When should I take a third in pvz? I like to take a third around 14 after my immortalstalkersentry with +1 and +2 on the way with blink stalkers.

Is this good or should I expand before attacking?
Reply Quote
When should I take a third in pvz? I like to take a third around 14 after my immortalstalkersentry with +1 and +2 on the way with blink stalkers.Is this good or should I expand before attacking?

You can safely take the third at around 10:30 seconds with decent sentry micro.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]