The New Macbook Pro?

So apparently apple is releasing an upgraded Macbook Pro, stats here:

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs/

I am buying the upper model (for other reasons, not purely as gaming). But it seems the NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M can handle SC2 on Ultra? That's pretty cool as I wouldn't mind getting back into SC2 and maybe also D3.

Anyway, how well can I expect this to play SC2? Do you think it will handle Ultra decently? I know Macs aren't made for gaming, but again, my priority isn't a gaming rig. I'm just curious what can the new MacBook Pro do gaming-wise?
Reply Quote
You do realize that starting price is $2200?
I find that absurd. really really absurd. I honestly hoped that apple would come out with something worth competing with the new ultrabooks coming out but Apple took a weird step. I was excited with the live blog and thought it would be a great product with the retina display and all the ports but the price came out? Apple is really fishing for fanboys. You have no good reason to buy the new macbook pro. Honestly for that price you could really, I mean really, like it was already pretty well known before, but now you can really buy something much better than the new macbook.
Reply Quote
Yeah I agree with Lia, when you look at what Macs cost for the hardware you're getting it's like they're robbing you. I'm a college student and I would say a majority of students have Apple laptops, I think a lot of people just hear how successful Apple is and think they must obviously make the best computers, or they just really love the design (they do really have a great design and weight), but the price? Come on.

Apple is a business and if they can sell their products for that much, which they can, than they're obviously going to keep doing it and they won't stop until people finally stop purchasing them because they realize they're buying something that's incredibly overpriced, or the just can't afford them anymore.

I find it pretty amazing and rather genius though, even though I really dislike Macs, that Steve Jobs created a company who can sell anything no matter how much money it costs based only on its name and has so many fanatical/blind fanboys. I'm not calling OP a fanboy but nonetheless Apple has a ton of them and it just shocks me how amazing they think they are.

OP, I would highly suggest getting a different laptop, there's plenty out there that can quite easily handle SCII on ultra, for far less, so unless you just really like Mac OS or the lighter weight I wouldn't recommend getting one.

Here's some laptops that you should look at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246327

And if you do want to spend more: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246327 (although I'd recommend getting the other one and just replacing it in like 2 years, it'd cost about the same.)

That first one I linked cost less than 1/4 of the new Macbook Pro, and I pretty sure it should be able to handle SCII on high, I kind of doubt ultra but if some $500 laptop can run it on high you definately don't need to spend anywhere close to $2200 to play on ultra, it really isn't that taxing of a game, although I'm not too knowledgeable on laptop gpu's so wait for someone to confirm that.
Edited by FishMonger on 6/12/2012 12:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Honestly, you guys are not helping with those answers. The OP stated he wanted to know how starcraft 2 plays on the new macbook pro not how expensive it is compared to others or how lousy apple laptops are for that price or how "great and smart" Steve Jobs is for being able to sell a product.

Anyway, anyone who knows whether it can play on ultra settings with good FPS please reply because i am also considering buying this laptop..
Reply Quote
At that resolution? Obviously no. You'll definately have to lower settings or the resolution to get at least 30fps. It just came out. Don't expect benchmarks to be available right now. You can get a rough idea by looking at the cpu and gpu benchmarks of the configuration you're getting.
Reply Quote
At 1920x1080 ya sure probebly but at higher resolutions nope but thats not horrible super high resolution would give you almost no difference anyways on that small a screen.
Reply Quote
http://www.destructoid.com/retina-macbook-diablo-iii-quite-playable-at-2880x1800-229403.phtml

Here you go D3 can run at 20-27 FPS in D3 at the resolution with max Graphics. Since SC2 is less demanding it should be able to be played.
Reply Quote
06/13/2012 01:44 PMPosted by MtlGuitarist
Here you go D3 can run at 20-27 FPS in D3 at the resolution with max Graphics. Since SC2 is less demanding it should be able to be played.

SCII is more demanding as the game gets later. 20-27 fps is not playable for SCII by any stretch of the imagination. Even 35 fps is barely playable for most.

^+1. Especially maps like Fastest and Phantom.
Reply Quote
Thank you all for your feedback. Probably won't buy one. Namely because $2000 spent is $2000 spent regardless of what you're getting for it.

With that said though, I think some of you may be exaggerating the overpricing of this. I won't say it isn't overpriced (what isn't in this economy), just that I don't think its totally overpriced.

Side Note: I'm not a Mac fan boy. I actually hate macs. But like they say, Macs are the worst brand of computer except for all the others.

For the sake of this not turning into a Mac vs PC discussion, however, I would buy a $500 laptop if I wasn't concerned about graphics.
Reply Quote
I'm not a mac hater either though. I do rant against apple a lot but I don't actually hate them. I also am not saying its overpriced, all I think is that Apple has made the wrong move by targeting such a high price market.

On topic, do you have a desktop at home? I think its most effective if you focus on performance with a desktop at home and focus on build/weight for laptops/tablets. I find it weird that people buy so powerful laptops and sacrifice portability for it. That way you can enjoy both worlds of performance and portability. Although you may not enjoy both at the same time I think its the best way to optimally spend money. Even with $1000 its okay, $500 on a decent desktop is manageable, and $500 on a decent windows tablet, which is what I got for my younger brother. He still gets 60fps+ on SC2 and 30+fps on bf3 with lower settings.
Reply Quote
Ugh, this just came up.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/iFixt-MacBook-Pro-Retina-Display-Repair-Teardown,15995.html

Terrible, terrible. I can't believe apple did this. Luckily, they said that new macbook pros are just experimental. So I hope they take in the data and respond appropriately.
Reply Quote
Posted by MtlGuitarist

SCII is more demanding as the game gets later. 20-27 fps is not playable for SCII by any stretch of the imagination. Even 35 fps is barely playable for most.

^+1. Especially maps like Fastest and Phantom.

I was mostly referring to computer toll the game take. For example D3 is more of a GPU intensive game while SC2 is more of CPU intensive game especially in the late game. So since for most gaming the Macbook Pro's GPU would be the limiting factor not its CPU (a decent clock speed i7 processor is no pushover) I think it would be safe to assume SC2 would be able to get some faster FRPS then D3 with that set up. However that's all hypothetical as why would anyone up the resolution so high on such a small screen the difference would be so negligible its not even funny. 1920x1080 would be more then fine and it would get far better frame rates.
Reply Quote
I wouldn't call 2.5 ghz a "decent" clock speed.
Edited by November on 6/15/2012 1:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/15/2012 01:54 PMPosted by November
I wouldn't call 2.5 ghz a "decent" clock speed.

Why not?
Reply Quote
2.6 wit turbo boost up to 3.6 yeah that good even for a desktop lol
Reply Quote
@FishMonger,
That's just it. You replace your laptops every 2 years, while I have gone through multiple 5-year cycles with no issues or viruses on my Macs. On top of that, I end up selling my 5 year old Macs for $1,000 used. The money is well worth the product you get. I'm not dissing any PC or product out there, I'm simply standing up for Apple by saying they make a beautiful and reliable product, like a luxury car.

@GIVIWarriorX,
Sorry, I haven't tested SC2 on the new one yet, I was looking to buy one myself and curious how well it ran.
Reply Quote
@GIVIWarriorX,
Sorry, I haven't tested SC2 on the new one yet, I was looking to buy one myself and curious how well it ran.

It'll play it fine at its maxed Super HD resolution it gets 25-27 FRPS on D3 meaning if you just bring it down to 1920x1080 it should play anything fine. It's a strong machine no doubt and can handle any Blizzard products easy, unless you want that crazy resolution.
Reply Quote
I have a macbook pro with the same card. I don't have the new retina display with it because I bought it about 6 months ago, but they didn't change the card when they upgraded to the current top end macbook pros.

The specs I have on mine is the same card that you're looking at, 8 gigs of RAM, i7 2.7 gz, and an SSD (the rest is unimportant). When I run SCII on it I can run it on high settings around 45 fps. You may be able to get ultra graphics to work, but it won't be at amazing speeds. I personally can't stand when my fps drops below 60. You can play SCII on that macbook easy peasy on medium graphics.

Just a short simple answer. Hopefully I helped you out.
Reply Quote
LOL. Apple. LOL...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]