StarCraft® II

The New Macbook Pro?

Looking back I was able to try on a friend's MAcbook Pro http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MD104LL/A

That version (not the retina display, but 15 inch.

It could play Ultra, but only at like 25 fps, which looked pretty lousy. Overall it was the FPS that killed the experience for me. It's otherwise a really sound product, but the weak FPS and glare-screen are the reasons not to buy it.
Reply Quote
The Retina display honestly doesn't make much difference to me, so why waste a bunch of money on a company that seems to poop out more products than Call of Duty does every year. Also I doubt you care for the environment but the newest one doesn't meet the standards of environmental protocols. So perhaps the EU will ban this laptop in a later date once they actually figured out that 1) The Retina display is highly toxic and 2) The stupid battery is actually glued inside the Mac and not screwed in.
Reply Quote
@FishMonger,
That's just it. You replace your laptops every 2 years, while I have gone through multiple 5-year cycles with no issues or viruses on my Macs. On top of that, I end up selling my 5 year old Macs for $1,000 used. The money is well worth the product you get. I'm not dissing any PC or product out there, I'm simply standing up for Apple by saying they make a beautiful and reliable product, like a luxury car.

@GIVIWarriorX,
Sorry, I haven't tested SC2 on the new one yet, I was looking to buy one myself and curious how well it ran.

Well anyone could use a laptop for 5 years. Just because you do doesn't mean that your 5 year old Mac is as good as a new or 2 year old PC laptop. I just replace them every 2 and half years because I like to upgrade. Also, if anyone is buying a 5 year old macbook for $1,000 they are severely mentally handicapped.
Reply Quote
Thank you all for your feedback. Probably won't buy one. Namely because $2000 spent is $2000 spent regardless of what you're getting for it.

With that said though, I think some of you may be exaggerating the overpricing of this. I won't say it isn't overpriced (what isn't in this economy), just that I don't think its totally overpriced.

Side Note: I'm not a Mac fan boy. I actually hate macs. But like they say, Macs are the worst brand of computer except for all the others.

For the sake of this not turning into a Mac vs PC discussion, however, I would buy a $500 laptop if I wasn't concerned about graphics.

that is. totally. overpriced.

Comparison: for 2200 i could easily get:
GTX 670 (3gb upgrade), core i7 (upgraded), double SSD in crossfire, backlit customizable keyboard, subwoofer dynaudio sound system.
and 2200 is the baseline too, which probably means that if you want to upgrade you're looking at even higher :/

that computer right there is worth 1300-1400.

and yeah, it should be able to play scII just fine on ultra high
Edited by StilleNacht on 7/20/2012 9:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote

GTX 670 (3gb upgrade), core i7 (upgraded), double SSD in crossfire, backlit customizable keyboard, subwoofer dynaudio sound system.
and 2200 is the baseline too, which probably means that if you want to upgrade you're looking at even higher :/

Why are you comparing a desktop to a laptop. A desktop would obviously provide better performance per dollar.
P.S. SSD in crossfire? LOL! Also, "backlit customizable" keyboards are just as overpriced as macs are. Gtx 670 3gb? wtf.
Reply Quote
I just Got The MacBook Retina and it is a dream to play SC2!!!! I am running at 2880 X 1800 and Averaging 70fps even sometimes 80fps with all graphics settings MAXED out!!! The Clarity of that high rez screen is Noticeable but than again i like to sit about 18 in. from my screen if you sit back its not really going to make a big difference.
Reply Quote
Thank you all for your feedback. Probably won't buy one. Namely because $2000 spent is $2000 spent regardless of what you're getting for it.

With that said though, I think some of you may be exaggerating the overpricing of this. I won't say it isn't overpriced (what isn't in this economy), just that I don't think its totally overpriced.

Side Note: I'm not a Mac fan boy. I actually hate macs. But like they say, Macs are the worst brand of computer except for all the others.

For the sake of this not turning into a Mac vs PC discussion, however, I would buy a $500 laptop if I wasn't concerned about graphics.

Remember macs always bundle some Proprietary software. Many people buy mac because its ease of use. Hell serious linux users just use other boxes. Using macs for gaming is overkill since you almost always need some form of virtual box (if not dual booting) which diminishes the hardware (and software due to overhead) advantage.

Glad both of you made the right decision.
Edited by AgCl on 8/7/2012 9:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Ok so I bought the entry level MBP 13" (2.5 Ghz turbo to 3.1), 4GB Ram, Intel HD 4000 384MB graphics card. I bought it for personal use and not for gaming but ran SC2 and it runs on high at an average of 32fps. I've never had a powerful computer as such (my old one ran SC2 on LOW at 25fps haha) so in my opinion its runs fine! put it on medium and it goes to around 50fps and around 100fps on low. I hope it helps anyone interested in purchasing this machine! :)
Reply Quote
Didn't see this thread, so fyi, I've been playing on an ultrabook (asus ux31a) at ~75fps in 1v1 for about a month now. No complaints with the laptop at all, and it's half the price ;).

Well, take that back, it was a little bit of a pain to do a fresh install of windows, which I deemed necessary.
Reply Quote
Should run fine... hell you'd probably opt to run at 1080p vs retina because the increase in resolution might make everything very tiny on that 15" screen lol.

If you do get one tho, I'd HIGHLY recommend a protective case... really.. GET ONE. Because Aluminum is a very very soft metal, any accidentally hits and it will dent very easily... and trust me you don't want dents because they can interfere with the screen closing properly amongst other things.. which can lead to a ton of other problems.. Plus Apple Care will not cover you if they see dents.

I'd be soo nice if the computer was aluminum with some kinda polished wooden protective barrier around the sides that's cheap to replace.
Edited by Vinnx on 9/26/2012 3:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Look I'll just point you here...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6037/the-2012-macbook-pro-review/2

I think once you are used to the Retina display you may find it harder to go back than you realize. Though don't 2880x1800 for games.
Edited by Laraul on 10/2/2012 5:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]