StarCraft® II

WHY blizzard why

Why would you give Widow mine such a long fuse and also let the enemy see who it's on? Who is developing heart of the swarm up there.
Reply Quote
yea time needs to be shortened anyone with a brain can just pull those units out. give it 5 seconds
Reply Quote
06/10/2012 09:28 AMPosted by IllIdelF
yea time needs to be shortened anyone with a brain can just pull those units out. give it 5 seconds

How would they even think this was half of a good idea? Also not even 5 seconds anyone can easily pull away keep it at 10 seconds but the enemy can't see who it's on.
Edited by HappyMiku on 6/10/2012 9:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Who cares? The tagged unit is dead. 100% dead. It's a complete victory.
Reply Quote
its only in Alpha so chill and wait man They will be tweaking it soon enough
Reply Quote
I agree with the fuse being too long, even a bronzy could split that up. But I think it needs to be visual which one it latched onto. Were talking a 200 damage attack in a splash, thats a big deal.
Reply Quote
why do you just come here to complain about such stupid things?
Reply Quote
06/10/2012 09:36 AMPosted by Bobucles
Who cares? The tagged unit is dead. 100% dead. It's a complete victory.

You can't choose who gets tagged

06/10/2012 09:37 AMPosted by Tzeen
its only in Alpha so chill and wait man They will be tweaking it soon enough

I don't have much faith in blizzard.
The thought that it's 10 seconds and it shows who it's attach to means that it's unuseable.

06/10/2012 10:00 AMPosted by TinMan
I agree with the fuse being too long, even a bronzy could split that up. But I think it needs to be visual which one it latched onto. Were talking a 200 damage attack in a splash, thats a big deal.

The guy uprooted moved and rooted again before the thing blew what are we suppose to do with this?

06/10/2012 10:07 AMPosted by QoGxManifesT
why do you just come here to complain about such stupid things?

Because blizzard continues to make things that won't be used
Reply Quote
06/10/2012 10:34 AMPosted by HappyMiku
Because blizzard continues to make things that won't be used
It'll be used mainly cause of huge splah radius and damage lol.
Reply Quote
Even if they did no splash damage widow mines are still awesome because as somebody else said they are pretty much guaranteed to kill what ever they attach to. There are only a few units in the game that can survive a widow mine and even then they suffer a good deal of damage.

The mines have a low cost(I believe 75/25) and deal 200 damage and can be produced two at a time via reactor. Their low price and high damage means that even if you only kill off one unit with each mine as long as its not a T1 unit like a zergling or zealot they will always be cost effective. Place like 4-6 of these near your mineral line and watch as a zerg players trying to harass with mutas loses 6 of his mutas in the process. Hope he kills a lot of scvs because he just lost a ton of resources in those dead mutas. There are tons of ways you can use these mines effectively. They also force your opponent to keep detection with his army at all times. It also fills the space controlling role that the old shredder did which is useful for big slow mech armies.

The splash damage to me is just a bonus. If your opponent is bad and does not pull them out and you wreck his army then great. But even if he does pull them out the mines did their job by picking off individual units and forcing my opponent to waste apm pulling them out at little resource cost and no real micro on my end.
Edited by Iske on 6/10/2012 11:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Because it does 200 freaking damage in range 4. To air AND ground. That's MORE than enough to take out all of the spellcasters, tons of marines/marauders, even medivacs! It's going to get nerfed dude. 100 damage maybe. But not 200.
Reply Quote
All of you need to quit whining about something that hasnt even happened yet.
Reply Quote
06/10/2012 09:22 AMPosted by HappyMiku
Why would you give Widow mine such a long fuse and also let the enemy see who it's on? Who is developing heart of the swarm up there.

So that people don't accidentally run over one and then have no choice but to die. Imagine you have a ball of marines heading towards your enemy. They run over a single widow mine. You have no idea which one it is and it detonates quickly. You can only split off a few marines and then boom, you split off the wrong ones so your whole army dies. The widow mine is very good as it is and that would make it incredibly OP. Right now it's pretty much guaranteed to be cost efficient if it hits something, even if they split. We don't need to change that.
Reply Quote
The widow mine is just a bad idea, it will do next to nothing against higher league players, and completely dominate lower league players, lol. I once saw a bronze TvP where the terran wiped out the toss army 3-4 times but lost his entire army because he seemed to be completely unaware that he can scan DTs or can build any detection at all. Now imagine these tard-s with these mines, placing like 3 outside their base, tard rolls out loses everything over and over never builds detection.
Edited by Solo on 6/10/2012 1:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote

So that people don't accidentally run over one and then have no choice but to die. Imagine you have a ball of marines heading towards your enemy. They run over a single widow mine. You have no idea which one it is and it detonates quickly. You can only split off a few marines and then boom, you split off the wrong ones so your whole army dies. The widow mine is very good as it is and that would make it incredibly OP. Right now it's pretty much guaranteed to be cost efficient if it hits something, even if they split. We don't need to change that.

Split off the wrong ones and your whole army dies? You have fricken 10 seconds with a giant indicator lmao. Cost efficient, Yes? Worthy? No, As Terran you're the aggressor, every time you make one of those gimicky units you lose presence meaning lesser army and less offense.
Infact mid engagement I dare say it's less than cost efficient as you wait for 10 seconds that latched target becomes a meat shield and an attacker while you're basically trading a unit to kill something in 10 seconds...That's not realistic at all. Come on man think lol
Edited by Maximum on 6/10/2012 1:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/10/2012 01:42 PMPosted by Maximum

Split off the wrong ones and your whole army dies? You have fricken 10 seconds with a giant indicator lmao. Cost efficient, Yes? Worthy? No, As Terran you're the aggressor, every time you make one of those gimicky units you lose presence meaning lesser army and less offense.
Infact mid engagement I dare say it's less than cost efficient as you wait for 10 seconds that latched target becomes a meat shield and an attacker while you're basically trading a unit to kill something in 10 seconds...That's not realistic at all. Come on man think lol

Your are thinking in terms of bio play. Mech play is more passive by nature and more dependent of positioning and controlling space, which the mines help accomplish. Mech is big and slow and the mines help defend areas and expansions that your army cant easily reach. If you wanted to be hyper aggressive you would not be going mech to begin with thus mines are not a consideration.

Also using a cheap easily produced unit to kill more expensive units is the very definition of cost effectiveness. Plus your opponent must waste apm microing the attached units away from his army while the mines take little to no micro to deploy effectively.
Reply Quote
Split off the wrong ones and your whole army dies? You have fricken 10 seconds with a giant indicator lmao.

Allow me to explain what you missed.
BlackDeath clearly stated that if you could not see which unit was affected, and you had less than 10 seconds, splitting would be pure luck.
He was explaining why the 10 seconds and indicator are there.

I think it looks like a pretty interesting defensive unit, the biggest concern being wasting them on free units (Locust, IT, Hallucinations), or the wrong targets (Zerglings instead of Infestors for example.) So, do you think it is likely their latching ability will allow toggling of auto-cast for manual use instead?
Reply Quote
The thing is cheap and insta kills, what does it matter if you can see who is dying.
Reply Quote
06/10/2012 01:42 PMPosted by Maximum
Split off the wrong ones and your whole army dies? You have fricken 10 seconds with a giant indicator lmao.

Notice how I'm quoting the guy who's suggesting to remove the ability to see which one it's on and give it a short fuse:

06/10/2012 09:22 AMPosted by HappyMiku

That's what I'm replying to, obviously currently it's a long fuse with a big indicator.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]