StarCraft® II

How to get promoted (for dumbies)

Hey guys, so this is my very first post and i have seen that there is sticky's on how the ladder works but it seems quite complicated. So i am making this for you, the not so smart group!

think of it like this - after you play your placement matches you start playing against players that the game thinks are the same skill level as you. This is done via MMR we arent going to go into detail of what mmr is just accept the fact that it exists because it does.

its basically just a number and when you win a game it goes up, and when you lose a game it goes down.

So lets assume that each league is givin a certain mmr rating

Bronze - 0-200
silver - 201-400
gold - 401-600
platnium - 601-800
diamond - 801-1000
masters 1001-1200
grand masters - 1200-1401

so now that we have a base understanding, lets pretend that we just played our 5 placement matches and we were put into bronze.

So after playing a few games we are noticing that we are winning most of them, but still playing against bronze league players, hmm that must mean that our mmr must be deep into bronze probably just reaching 100.

A few more games pass and we notice, hmm well were starting to play silver league players AND bronze players (this means your mmr is coming incredibly close to the silver league rating, probably around 180-200, so a few more games pass and your still winning most of them so your mmr is continuing to rise and you notice, hmmm i havnt played any bronze players recently, CONGRATULATIONS your mmr has probably just passed that 201 point mark making you ONE step closer to being silver... but the fight has yet to end you little future starcraft champion you, the game doesnt want to promote you right after you pass that mark.... for example if you pass that 200 mark, and it says CONGRATS YOUR SILVER, and you hit a losing streak, your mmr is gonna drop back to bronze and then its gonna say SCREW YOU YOUR BACK IN BRONZE.... now the guys at blizzard entertainment don't wanna be jerks so you essentially have to pass the mid silver mark to get promoted (this way when you do get promoted, and if you hit a losing streak you dont get demoted right away the game wants you stay in that league for quite a while).

So you play alot more games still winning most of them, and then after that one game, the game screen changes and says congratulations you've made it to the silver league! at this point its okay to scream HELL YEA!!!

The same goes for all the other leagues just swap out words bronze and silver with diamond and masters or gold and platnium or what ever corresponding league that you are in.

The way that the ranking system displays a persons rank in starcraft 2 is incredibly flawed, you would assume that even if your rank a 1 diamond player and your still only playing against diamond league players, but that guy thats rank 50 something is playing against master league players, that the guy playing against master league players probably deserves that rank 1 spot. I feel as if blizzard should change and make it so we can see where our mmr is and make it so the ranking system is actually correct with what players deserve what spot on the ladder.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, i hope this helps alot of players :)
Edited by FauLTyRoLLo on 6/13/2012 4:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Congrats, I think THIS post , for people below plat, is way better than the STICKY posts making deep analysis of MMR and curves and all sorts of complex stuff ...

What you described is EXACTLY what happens when going up the ladder, that progression ... you find yourself being matched against the upper-league more and more often, until 7/10 last games have been against those upper-league players , suddenly you win again and BAM ! Promoted.

And the reasons of WHY you don´t get an INSTANT promotion the minute you won a match vs an upper-league player is just what you said ... because the ladder wants to make "sure" that you can stabilize within your new upper-league.

FLAWLESS POST ;)
Reply Quote
win more games than you lose + time = promotion
win more games vs playets ranked higher + time = promotion
Reply Quote
this all looks like BS to me, i've won more matches than lost and still am stuck in gold. and don't get me started on team games . starcraft shouldn't just be made for 1v1. If it was meant for just 1v1 then 2v2-4v4 should just be removed from the game.

which leads me to my next point, shouldn't this system also partner with people of equal skill level because most of the teams i get stuck with absolutely suck and the teams i am against all seem to know what they are doing or are pre-made.

bottom line is this system is flaw'ed and there shouldn't be a ranking system beyond 1v1
Reply Quote
this all looks like BS to me, i've won more matches than lost and still am stuck in gold. and don't get me started on team games . starcraft shouldn't just be made for 1v1. If it was meant for just 1v1 then 2v2-4v4 should just be removed from the game.

which leads me to my next point, shouldn't this system also partner with people of equal skill level because most of the teams i get stuck with absolutely suck and the teams i am against all seem to know what they are doing or are pre-made.

bottom line is this system is flaw'ed and there shouldn't be a ranking system beyond 1v1

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

You're on a roll!

This is the second post that qualified as "Full Retard" for me today, and you posted both of them!!

*Thumbs up*

The game is balanced around 1v1, mainly for 2 reasons.

First, it would be impossible to rebalance it for 4v4 and not ruin the 1v1 experience.
Second, Blizzard is trying to build an eSports empire around SC2 1v1, I shouldn't really need to explain anymore then this.

Fun Fact!
Likely the teams you get placed with are right at your level, because judging from your profile, you "absolutely suck" at this game!

So maybe, instead of crying about it, practice more and win some games!
Reply Quote
OP< you have posted the literally smartest thing I have ever read on these forums
Reply Quote
... the game doesnt want to promote you right after you pass that mark.... for example if you pass that 200 mark, and it says CONGRATS YOUR SILVER, and you hit a losing streak, your mmr is gonna drop back to bronze and then its gonna say SCREW YOU YOUR BACK IN BRONZE.... now the guys at blizzard entertainment don't wanna be jerks so you essentially have to pass the mid silver mark to get promoted (this way when you do get promoted, and if you hit a losing streak you dont get demoted right away the game wants you stay in that league for quite a while)...

I don't agree. i think this causes more frustration then they hope to avoid. I'd like to work my way up the ladder more smoothly - set-back or not. As it stands now it goes: Bronze 1, Bronze 2, Bronze 1, Bronze 1, Bronze 1, Bronze 2, Bronze 1............ Bronze 1, Bronze 1, Bronze 1, Bronze 1 ....... BAM!!! Silver 50. I would have liked to work my way up starting at Silver 100, instead of being stuck at Bronze 1 for 50-100+ games frustrated as to what the heck is going on. You're in Bronze, but your MMR rated skill plateau's at Silver 75 equivalent, but you have no idea what's going on and Silver top 25 and Gold players are being thrown at you to boot. There's like this dark void of invisible MMR frustration you're force fed to deal with.
Reply Quote
great post;)
Reply Quote
+1 for the idea of just letting the playes know their mmr, and being able to know where you ACTUALLY stand on the ladder. It seems absurd to me that the in say silver league the top ranking players probably hAve less of a chance of being promoted then someone in the middle of the pack, because they have been languishing in that league for so long.
Reply Quote
Thank you brutha!! I've been top Bronze for a long time now. 1-4 ranking. I guess the solution to make it simple is keep getting better and keep winning.
(It would help if I was playing players who could actually use force fields and fungals though.)
Reply Quote

FLAWLESS POST ;)

minus the "DUMMIES"
Reply Quote
im in bronze still ive won 18 games this season 1v1 and 19th in my division i been having games with a few platnum and gold and silver players does this mean ill go up to that?
Reply Quote
He says this is for the not so smart group. Yet he cant spell "Dummies."

An oxymoron if you will.
Reply Quote
lol theres this guy on my ladder named nerdrrage...at the start of the season he started out in the same diamond division as me and he got promoted to masters. then he dropped back down to this division and if u look at his match history hes a diamond playing bronze league players
Reply Quote
You are close to a promotion when you start playing people on the next ladder. Although their MMR may have taken a hit and they are not truely not their rank and such reflects, but constantly playing plats when you are gold is a good indication that a promotion is on the way.
Reply Quote
this is bs i have won 20 times and lost 6 times and no promotion
Reply Quote
01/12/2013 06:40 PMPosted by Artanis
this is bs i have won 20 times and lost 6 times and no promotion

yeah so??? you think 26 is enough for promotion?
Reply Quote
The rank in your league has zero affect of your MMR. You could be in a dead division where only the top 25 people play anymore than their placement matches, where someone else could be in one where the top 75 people are playing 10 games a day. One of those will be much harder to maintain top 10 than the other. Which is just another reason why they shouldn't hide the MMR. Or at least show win/loss stats.
Reply Quote
headsets make team battles a blast
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]