Mutalisks in Space?

As far as I know, mutalisks fly using wings. In order to provide lift, wings push against air. Problem? There is no air in space! So how do the mutalisks fly? This also counts for all zerg air units, including scourge (Starcraft 1). Any ideas?
Reply Quote
06/24/2012 06:38 PMPosted by EugeneTwo
As far as I know, mutalisks fly using wings. In order to provide lift, wings push against air. Problem? There is no air in space! So how do the mutalisks fly? This also counts for all zerg air units, including scourge (Starcraft 1). Any ideas?

Their wings also function as solar sails.

The flapping does nothing, but could be instinctual.
Reply Quote
The same way banshees do.
Reply Quote
Solar Sails do not allow for mutas to maneuver as fast as they did in the "Char Invasion" clip. Those mutas were flying all over the place! Solar Sails can never accelerate that fast, let alone turn!
Reply Quote
06/25/2012 10:54 AMPosted by Toortanga

Oh, and banshees cannot fly in space. They can only fly on planets or on space platforms (which have a controlled atmosphere), not in space.
Reply Quote
I will take a guess here, they have pores on their backs which release air that pushes them through the air and their wings help with that. This was just random BS.
Reply Quote
I found a website that should help explain it.
http://starcraftscience.com/2010/10/18/how-do-zerg-fly-in-space-part-1-mutalisks/
Reply Quote
06/25/2012 09:01 PMPosted by EugeneTwo
Solar Sails do not allow for mutas to maneuver as fast as they did in the "Char Invasion" clip. Those mutas were flying all over the place! Solar Sails can never accelerate that fast, let alone turn!

You're assuming that a game matches up to reality.

It's clearly a work of fiction, and not one which tries to model reality accurately.

Once you get in to the science behind Starcraft, Mutalisk wings as solar sails is hardly the largest leap of suspended disbelief you have to make, hahah.
Reply Quote
How about this?

The mutalisk muscles that control the wings also pump out propellant gasses for thrust outside of an atmosphere. In an atmosphere more efficient propulsion is achieved by wings and the propellant gasses aren't pumped out. THerefore the wings always beat.
Reply Quote
There's 0 gravity in space, right? So you're going to float in you get out of any planet's atmosphere, right? That's how it's 'airborne'

As to how it maneuvers around so fast is beyond me. :>
Reply Quote
There's 0 gravity in space, right? So you're going to float in you get out of any planet's atmosphere, right? That's how it's 'airborne'

As to how it maneuvers around so fast is beyond me. :>

Propellant gaassseessssss.

Of course what you said then begs the question what about banshees?
Edited by Toortanga on 7/1/2012 6:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/25/2012 10:54 AMPosted by Toortanga
The wiki specifically states that Banshees are not capable of space flight.

Interesting idea, but it would take an awfully long time for them to accelerate with such small wings. I mean, just to launch a space probe, you need solar sails many times the size of the probe itself to get decent acceleration. Perhaps the wings do nothing, but either overlords or Leviathans are capable of ejecting them at speed to allow them to travel distances in straight lines at least?
Edited by Owlfeathers on 7/3/2012 7:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
07/03/2012 07:15 AMPosted by Owlfeathers
The wiki specifically states that Banshees are not capable of space flight.

Interesting idea, but it would take an awfully long time for them to accelerate with such small wings. I mean, just to launch a space probe, you need solar sails many times the size of the probe itself to get decent acceleration. Perhaps the wings do nothing, but either overlords or Leviathans are capable of ejecting them at speed to allow them to travel distances in straight lines at least?

I postulate there are biological mechanisms at work that extend far beyond regular space-time because someone pointed out in an unrelated thread, neural parasite is able to work on computerized collosi and psionic archons which are burning energy balls.
Reply Quote
why are there only hot medics and hot ghosts in starcraft? where r the fat / ugly chicks?
Reply Quote
07/03/2012 10:20 AMPosted by Toortanga
neural parasite is able to work on computerized collosi and psionic archons which are burning energy balls.

Hey, I posted that!
Reply Quote
I thought that was Doncroft???
Reply Quote
06/25/2012 06:33 AMPosted by Hylozoist
Reply Quote
07/03/2012 11:12 PMPosted by MadoxlOl
why are there only hot medics and hot ghosts in starcraft? where r the fat / ugly chicks?

How many active military units do you see that are fat? answer: 0

Fat is bad for combat situations.

ugly chicks, dunno.
Reply Quote

ugly chicks, dunno.

Urubu
Reply Quote
Rofl
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]