StarCraft® II

Getting back into SC2: Reactored Hellions

So i'm just getting back into SC2 after "leave of absence" for school and stuff. I played a couple practice matches and ran into Terrans who would all go reactored hellions against my 15 hatch FE. I lost every single time because of the pressure and lack of drones/units in general.

Any tips on what to do? I usually just have a handful of lings + blings, which doesn't get the job done.
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
You need a spine crawler, some evos to block off the Hellions, and/or a lot of Queens. Hopefully, a Zerg forum user can give you the specifics. I play Protoss and a little Terran.
Reply Quote
So i'm just getting back into SC2 after "leave of absence" for school and stuff. I played a couple practice matches and ran into Terrans who would all go reactored hellions against my 15 hatch FE. I lost every single time because of the pressure and lack of drones/units in general.

Any tips on what to do? I usually just have a handful of lings + blings, which doesn't get the job done.

Build 2 queens, either keep em guarding drones at expo if you have or use to block off ramp to main, win

Or add one spine crawler to 2 queens and watch them give up
Reply Quote
The Queen range buff makes Hellions far less effective in small numbers. Give yourself an extre Queen at the Natural, use it for creep spread in the downtime, and use it with the Nat queen to block the ramp and pick off Hellions when they come.
Reply Quote
Ok so what about my drones in my nat? evac them to main? I've played people who sent like 8+ hellions my way and evaporated everything. Should I get some roaches out? What should I trans into?
Reply Quote
yee gods, that many? go for a couple more spines then or just evac them to your base
Reply Quote
06/30/2012 07:48 PMPosted by Ice
Ok so what about my drones in my nat? evac them to main? I've played people who sent like 8+ hellions my way and evaporated everything. Should I get some roaches out? What should I trans into?

Yeah, assuming that you can position your Queens properly on the ramp, mineral-walk the drones to your base and kill as many Hellions as possible.

I'd say that you should try to sack an Ovie around the 4-5 minute mark to see if you can spot the makings of a hellion rush. Then you'll know how many spines to build. Getting Roaches is also a good response- once they're on the board, the Hellions are all but useless.
Reply Quote
If you can, send a ling up their ramp at the 5(?) minute mark to see if they've swapped their front rax for a reactored factory. Also, try to have a ling either at a Xel'Naga tower or at the bottom of their ramp to spot for incoming hellions so you have some time to reposition your queens.

06/30/2012 07:48 PMPosted by Ice
Should I get some roaches out? What should I trans into?

I'd say take a third once you beat off the hellions. They just invested 400-600 minerals into an attack and now they need to expand, so you should be fairly safe for awhile.
Reply Quote
Great thanks guys.
Reply Quote
Seems like a lot of the probes are wanting to go with 4 queens against terran. It seems to give protection against the reactored hellion opening, and allows for some sick creep spread early.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]