Bronze League is broken

I've been getting serious with 1v1 since just before Season 8. I'm stuck at Bronze 2-3. I read Liquidpedia, I watch Day9, and I have a real, live 1v1 Platinum coworker striving into diamond coaching me.

1) New ladder players of GOD KNOWS WHAT SKILL get pitted against Bronze players, messing up our wins. Ladder players should be placed against only ladder players. And if they have a trouble finding an opponent add Gold players. More trouble? Then add silver and platinum, but NEVER allow match ups with Bronze.

2) You have players deranking themselves into Bronze, again, of GOD KNOWS WHAT skill level. If any player in Gold or above wins a game in their league - not counting funky ladder placements - they should never, EVER be allowed to derank into Bronze! Let them derank to Silver 100 and that's it!

3) For the last few weeks or more, I've been tracking the top 15 names in my league to see if anyone gets out of the Bronze prison. NO ONE is getting out. They're all still there. I have hope for a couple of them right now. Glorious just launched himself from Bronze 9 to Bronze 1 with only 72 wins compared to my 131. JohnnyT is at Bronze 4 with only 48 wins, and a 14-game streak recently. I wish he would play more so I could see proof that people leave the league. So these people are better then me and they're not getting out.

4) As a Bronze, I've been placed against GOLD PLAYERS! I don't care how MMR works. This is broken. You should never face a player that is two leagues above you. Yes, I won ONCE, but all the losses from Gold and top 25 silver players are not helping my plight. I don't mind playing harder players, but two leagues above you is way too extreme.

Do you know who I lose against a lot? Bronze 1-3's. Do you know why? Because they are good, and they, like me, DON'T BELONG in Bronze league either. This is clear indication that top 3 bronzes are stuck and the system is broken.

I hardly ever face top 100 silvers, but I beat them handily. I face top 50 silvers, and I beat them over 60% of the time. I lose against top 25 silvers most of the time. Can you guess where I really belong? Silver top 50. That's where most all Bronze top 3's belong in this broken system.

I've heard the nightmares in many threads. "I've been stuck in bronze for 3 to 5 seasons", or "I'm a platinum player and I tried to help my bronze friend get out of the league, and after 120 wins.... I was finally able to do it"?!?!? "I'm finally now a silver player and I can't believe these people are here and how easy they are to beat."

I read proof, after proof, after proof of how the system is broken.
Reply Quote
Rofl, I got rank 39 in bronze in season 6, then got promoted to silver the next. (although i won 8 of the 10 games)
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
I've been getting serious with 1v1 since just before Season 8. I'm stuck at Bronze 2-3. I read Liquidpedia, I watch Day9, and I have a real, live 1v1 Platinum coworker striving into diamond coaching me.

1) New ladder players of GOD KNOWS WHAT SKILL get pitted against Bronze players, messing up our wins. Ladder players should be placed against only ladder players. And if they have a trouble finding an opponent add Gold players. More trouble? Then add silver and platinum, but NEVER allow match ups with Bronze.

2) You have players deranking themselves into Bronze, again, of GOD KNOWS WHAT skill level. If any player in Gold or above wins a game in their league - not counting funky ladder placements - they should never, EVER be allowed to derank into Bronze! Let them derank to Silver 100 and that's it!

3) For the last few weeks or more, I've been tracking the top 15 names in my league to see if anyone gets out of the Bronze prison. NO ONE is getting out. They're all still there. I have hope for a couple of them right now. Glorious just launched himself from Bronze 9 to Bronze 1 with only 72 wins compared to my 131. JohnnyT is at Bronze 4 with only 48 wins, and a 14-game streak recently. I wish he would play more so I could see proof that people leave the league. So these people are better then me and they're not getting out.

4) As a Bronze, I've been placed against GOLD PLAYERS! I don't care how MMR works. This is broken. You should never face a player that is two leagues above you. Yes, I won ONCE, but all the losses from Gold and top 25 silver players are not helping my plight. I don't mind playing harder players, but two leagues above you is way too extreme.

Do you know who I lose against a lot? Bronze 1-3's. Do you know why? Because they are good, and they, like me, DON'T BELONG in Bronze league either. This is clear indication that top 3 bronzes are stuck and the system is broken.

I hardly ever face top 100 silvers, but I beat them handily. I face top 50 silvers, and I beat them over 60% of the time. I lose against top 25 silvers most of the time. Can you guess where I really belong? Silver top 50. That's where most all Bronze top 3's belong in this broken system.

I've heard the nightmares in many threads. "I've been stuck in bronze for 3 to 5 seasons", or "I'm a platinum player and I tried to help my bronze friend get out of the league, and after 120 wins.... I was finally able to do it"?!?!? "I'm finally now a silver player and I can't believe these people are here and how easy they are to beat."

Bronze is the league that covers the widest skill range, meaning it's the deepest and also the hardest of which to climb out. League smurfs and players doing their placement matches are such a minority of the average Bronze player's opponents that they really don't affect you all that much. "I don't care how MMR works" doesn't exactly work in your favor here, as you don't have to know the math behind it, rather you have to simply look at your opponent's match history to determine whether he commonly plays against a wide range of opponents (meaning the match against you was an anomaly and you didn't lose very much) or whether he commonly faces other Bronze competition (meaning he faces demotion from Gold).
Reply Quote
It's not broken.

The system checks your rating after each and every game, if you were good enough, you'd be moved out, simple as that.

I've never lost a game to a 'smurf', I lose because of mistakes made/inexperience.

If you posted a link to one of your replays, people would tell you why you're in bronze.

Reply Quote
I recently was placed in bronze as I was learning new races. I was also promoted within 2 days of playing ladder this season. (Which was at most a week ago) It is definitely possible to be promoted out of Bronze.
Reply Quote
The ladder works fine, albeit verty slowly, but here's the problem with bronze, it's really wide in skill level and deep. When you get to either end of the skill spectrum (masters/bronze), you will find that the skill level difference between the two is huge. Realisitcally, low/mid/high masters could be their own leagues and bronze is no different.

Keep winning and eventually you will get promoted. If you want help in game, I'll help you. Shadogi#550. I play Zerg, but can help you get to at least gold in the other races. Mechanics are mechanics, regardless of race.
Reply Quote
I hear you all: widest, deepest, hardest I have a word: brokenest There. Let's make our synonyms clear.

win Silver 47
Loss Silver 13
Loss Silver 9
Loss Bronze 22 (and they were actually good, smurf?)
Loss Bronze 3
Loss Silver 13
Loss Silver 12 (You know it's at this point on your 6th loss you might think opponents would get easier. Ya think?!?)
Loss Bronze 3
Win Silver 27 (smurf)
Loss Bronze 1
Loss Bronze 24
Win Bronze 16
Win Silver 46
Win Platinum 77!!!!? (When you're in a league so broken you don't know whether to laugh or cry... 3 leagues above me... 3 LEAGUES ABOVE ME!)

Oh and this week: 3 players in my league escaped the bronze prison (when they should have be gone long ago.) So it's possible. I saw it with my own eyes, as I sit there at bronze 1.

Here's another problem I noticed. People are impatient. So rather the place people with proper opponents, the game expands search too much, and tries to fill the position too quickly. I'd rather wait 10 MINUTES!!! then face inappropriate opponents.

How do I post a replay?
Reply Quote
I hear you all: widest, deepest, hardest I have a word: brokenest

How do I post a replay?

Two things:
1) go to drop.sc to post replays

2) Is it possible that you are just really inconsistent, so sometimes you play well and it puts you against harder opponents and then you go on a serious tilt and then lose to people you should be fine against? I see lots of losses that are ~10+, which means that the matches should be pretty even.

For a long time consistency was a major issue for me and once I got on track I found that I was suddenly winning a lot of games.
Edited by ShaDoGI on 7/28/2012 5:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Sounds rough friend, i was stuck in bronze for 3 seasons before i was promoted, and iv spent 2 seasons in silver (playing pretty casually) and i was just recently promoted to Gold(YES!!)

Just keep playing and winning and let the Promotions come!

i knew my time in silver was done when i didnt lose to a silver player in 10+ games just Golds/plats were beating me.

Macro your way outa there!

Fiddler 924 add me if you want to practice :)
Reply Quote
Sounds rough friend, i was stuck in bronze for 3 seasons before i was promoted...

OMGosh! What a NIGHTMARE! Stuck in bronze for 3 seasons..... ah no. This game is not fun. I don't care if I get into silver on my next game. This is broken.

I don't care about winning. I care about being matched properly. If I was matched properly, I'd accept my win rate. Could it be that you should never, EVER play someone 2 let alone THREEE leagues above you????!!!! Yes, yes it could.

This isn't fun anymore. This is bullcrap.
Reply Quote
I have a pretty good feeling that if you bothered to look at how mmr worked, you might not be raging about how the system is broken on this forum.

Here's a suggestion. Utilize: a) these forums b) there's this website called google, it's pretty cool.

Your ranking in the bronze ladder doesn't dictate whether you move up to the next league or not. I've seen people at rank 40 something on ladder get moved up a league and the people in top 8 just stay in the same league. It depends on who is CONSISTENTLY winning games. If you win a bunch and lose a bunch, you're going to stay in the same league, no matter what ranking you are.
Reply Quote
You still lose to bronze players, what part of this is unclear to you?

Get a grip

07/30/2012 10:39 PMPosted by Timithos
This isn't fun anymore. This is bullcrap.
Reply Quote
i agree with you totally. last night i got matched up with a platinum and diamond player, and i'm only in bronze league. I won the match, but still that is 5 leagues above me.
Reply Quote
As a Bronze player, smurfs have actually "helped" me more than hurt me. For every smurf that has beaten me, at least two more have just instaquit against me in their quest to tank their ratings.
Reply Quote
I agree! The bronze league is real hard to get out of!

Placement matches:

After the first 5 placement matches( done during the first week of release ) I was either teamed (3v3s) with people lower skill level than I VS players same level as I but they had a full team of semi decent players while I was stuck with newer players. If this was not the situation then I was placed on a team where a team member immediately disconnected or simply a combination of both these situations. When the season resets I only get one placement match? Every single time my placement matches (any 2v2,3v3, 4v4) were on a team that had a disconnect or a fresh new player in SC2.

After Placement:

So after I place in bronze after the stuff mentioned above ^^^. Not to talk bad about Blizzard but... What the hell man? I either get placed into a match with rookie team members or get placed against a premade team? Some times I get placed into matches where my team doesn't even speak English!?! I have indeed got multiple wins in a row 4-5+ and still remain in Bronze? or even just move up 2 or 3 ranks? There are multiple instances of every problem I encounter. Disconnects, rookie team mates, non English speaking team mates, or premade teams....

I don't know if any of that made sense... All I can say to sum it up is that it is very frustrating...
Reply Quote
I have a pretty good feeling that if you bothered to look at how mmr worked, you might not be raging about how the system is broken on this forum.

Here's a suggestion. Utilize: a) these forums b) there's this website called google, it's pretty cool.

Your ranking in the bronze ladder doesn't dictate whether you move up to the next league or not. I've seen people at rank 40 something on ladder get moved up a league and the people in top 8 just stay in the same league. It depends on who is CONSISTENTLY winning games. If you win a bunch and lose a bunch, you're going to stay in the same league, no matter what ranking you are.

You really don't get it. It doesn't matter how MMR works. What matters is that you are inappropriately matched with players WAY above your skill level. I would be winning games CONSISTENTLY if I wasn't matched with players 2-3 leagues above me!

Impatience rules the day: Someone came up with the bright idea that players HAVE to matched in under 30 seconds or they'll leave. I'd rather wait 5 minutes to find an appropriate opponent, then get in 10 seconds.
Reply Quote
07/31/2012 05:31 PMPosted by Coppermantis
As a Bronze player, smurfs have actually "helped" me more than hurt me. For every smurf that has beaten me, at least two more have just instaquit against me in their quest to tank their ratings.

But once they're done with their instaquiting, they're doing damage in Bronze league to someone else. My rule would be anyone that has won a non-placement game in Gold league is NEVER allowed to derank themelves lower then Silver 100. This makes sense. This is the right thing to do. Ban smurfs from Bronze league.
Reply Quote
Look at it this way... When you can consistently maintain a 50% win ratio against Silver players (and I mean over a decent amount of games, say 50-100) then you deserve to be in Silver. Right now your win rate is like 30% in your last page of games?
Reply Quote
Edited by aKsApoc on 6/6/2013 3:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Their league doesn't matter, someone in GOLD can easily have bronze MMR because they're about to be demoted. You're matched with those played with a similar MMR, which is bronze. Stop losing to bronze players and you get out.

You really don't get it. It doesn't matter how MMR works. What matters is that you are inappropriately matched with players WAY above your skill level. I would be winning games CONSISTENTLY if I wasn't matched with players 2-3 leagues above me!

Impatience rules the day: Someone came up with the bright idea that players HAVE to matched in under 30 seconds or they'll leave. I'd rather wait 5 minutes to find an appropriate opponent, then get in 10 seconds.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]