StarCraft® II

Affordable laptop to play SC2 on?

About to head into the dorms soon and was planning on joining my school's CSL, and would much rather bring a laptop to the dorm because I rather keep my desktop at home. Currently my budget is around ~1000, with anything cheaper being preferred. Any suggestions?

I'd also like it to be functional for school also as it would be also the laptop I'd do all my work on.
Reply Quote
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215404

this will run sc2 on med-high settings
Reply Quote
Van's link is actually quite a nice laptop, however if you want to stay between $350 and $600, look into the i3 or i5 laptops. Dual core with intel hd graphics which run sc2 on minimum (at any resolution you want) at no less than 100 fps. late-game will stay smooth as well.

I also recommend AMD's A6 or A8 model laptops that come with quad-core processors as well as discrete graphics cards (6520g or 6620g) which might be worth looking into.

Edit: the intel i3/i5 laptops will have much longer battery life than AMD's models.
Edited by dharkness on 7/25/2012 8:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
If you can get up to $1000, I'd consider putting about $300 more as there's a HUGE graphics power disparity between $1000 and $1300 model.

See:

Clevo
Sager, Malibal

ASUS/MSI Barebone (MS-1762) build:
XoticPC, GenTechPC, RJTech, RK Computers
Reply Quote
I think the laptop Van posted is something I'm leaning more towards. Because it's a laptop, I'm not really looking into the graphics factor because it's understandable being on a laptop. I wish I could put in $300 more but with college and tuition being a major factor I just can't right now =/

Just another thing I'd want is if I could get a bigger screen than that laptop?
Reply Quote
Van's link is actually quite a nice laptop, however if you want to stay between $350 and $600, look into the i3 or i5 laptops. Dual core with intel hd graphics which run sc2 on minimum (at any resolution you want) at no less than 100 fps. late-game will stay smooth as well.

I also recommend AMD's A6 or A8 model laptops that come with quad-core processors as well as discrete graphics cards (6520g or 6620g) which might be worth looking into.

Edit: the intel i3/i5 laptops will have much longer battery life than AMD's models.

I can +1 AMD's A8 processor/GPU platform. I bought a $550 HP laptop with the A8, and I can play SC2 very smoothly on medium settings. The A8 platform also plays other games I throw at it just fine too. I thought the slower 5400 rpm hard drive would be a downer, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Pound for pound imo, the A8 is the best $/value out there for *budget* laptops.
Reply Quote
Bump.

I am planning on getting this one
http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-V3-571G-6641-15-6-Inch-Midnight/dp/B0085H64E6

But if i can find a cheaper laptop that can play sc2 on the lowest setting with out lag. I have a gaming desktop at home, that is why i don't need a laptop that can play on high setting.

What kind of fps are you getting with the intel hd graphics?
Reply Quote
consider this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246630
Reply Quote
Hi
Reply Quote
08/14/2014 01:13 PMPosted by Dawg
Hi

Hello.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]