SC2 Bad Image Error After Patch 1.5.0

Since updating SC2 (SEA Version) to the new patch, I've been getting an error message on startup.

The message says:

"SC2.exe - Bad Image
C:\Windows\system32\D3DCompiler_42.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support."

I've tried a clean re-installation of SC2 and all updates and still get the same message.
I've also tried removing the file and running the latest DirectX installer to replace it. No other games seem to be affected.
I also have the TW/KR client installed but have not updated it or removed it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply Quote
I have the same problem
Reply Quote
same here wont someone please help
Reply Quote
omg my best friend has the same problem and he did every single thing posted on other forums. :(
Reply Quote
Getting the same issue. Reinstalled SC2 and worked on Direct X all night. Still no go.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
"SC2.exe - Bad Image
C:\Windows\system32\D3DCompiler_42.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support."

Please post your particular error. Are you all receiving errors about the same file?

Also, is this happening in other games?
Reply Quote
C:\Windows\system32\d3dx9_42.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support.

mine is a different file. please and thank you
Reply Quote
c:\windows\system32\d3dcompiler_42.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error.

Diablo 3, Skyrim and other games have no issues.
Reply Quote
Mine is the same file. D3DCompiler_42.dll
I see the new updater splash and then I get the error.

All other games work perfectly.
Reply Quote
I found a work around that worked for me.

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/2228414131#10

Basically, you run the game in compatibility mode
by right clicking -> properties -> Compatibility -> check "run this program in compatability mode for" and choose windows XP (Service Pack 3)
Reply Quote
Mine was d3dx11_42.dll that was coming up with this error. Running in win xp compatibility made it go away, or made it where i can play. I suppose a recent patch messed something up. I did try other things before finding this forum, like deleting the dll, and then re-installing directx again, also reinstalled SC2. i don't run any antivirus in the background or anything. If there was a issue with that file, im certain my other dx11 games would have issues. I'm running on windows 7 pro 64-bit, ATI Radeon HD 6900 series. Catalyst version 12.3, I'm sure there's a update out there, but that isn't related to my issue I bet. Its kinda funny, i just launched the game lately, to see if it is working on a whim, just wanted to make sure I had it in good order so I can maybe hit it up sometime in the next couple weeks, didn't expect to run into a bug, from a recent patch. Also noticed that new file verification/optimization thing, idk if that's related.
Reply Quote
I'm getting an error about d3d11_42.dll. Using compatibility mode for Windows XP fixes it... but I'm running XP (x64 version though).
Reply Quote
Any update to this? I haven't played in ages and tried updating today to give it a go, only to run into the same thing.

C:\Windows\system32\d3dx11_42.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installed media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support.
Reply Quote
hey I am getting the same thing and it came out of nowhere my file is C:programData\battle.net\client\blizzard launcher.1815\QtNetwork4.dll

it is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error.

it worked very recently
Reply Quote
bump Josh- run it in compatibility mode.
Reply Quote
Can blizzard work on this !@#$ty probleme I CANT PLAY !
Reply Quote
mine is about C:ProgramData\Battle.net\Client\BlizzardLauncher1857\QtWebKit4.dll is either not designed to run windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original instalation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support
Reply Quote
I know I am a bit late in the topic, but I just tried to run SC2 after quite a few months of not touching it. At first it gave me the error "fmodex_4_28_09.dll is missing blah blah blah" So I uninstalled, reinstalled, updated and now I am getting the same error as above. C:\Windows\system32\d3dx11_42.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or contains an error. All other games seem to be fine.

Anyone found a solution that does not require me to run in compatability mode every time I play?

Windows 7 if it helps.
Reply Quote
I"m now getting the same problem. C:\windows\system32\d3dx11_42.dll is either blah blah.. My directx11 was just updated which is what I think caused the problem but all my other games work perfectly fine so I'm not so sure. Any fix besides compatibility mode would be great!
Reply Quote
Yeah I would like a fix too...Especially before heart of the swarm but no one is replying.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]