StarCraft® II

"The folder you selected cannot be used..."

"Please select a different folder:"

But I never selected any folder in the first place, and it doesn't give me an option to select anything? I can hit OK and that just closes the downloader completely. What's the deal?
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
How much free space does the drive you are installing it to have left?

Are you running it as an administrator? (You can try disabling anti-virus\firewall as well)
Reply Quote
53 GB of free space and I am running as an admin I believe.

I also cannot submit a ticket because I get the error "The submission exceeded the maximum file size." Yet I have 1200+ characters left in the comment box and attached the correct files.
Reply Quote
627GB free. I am running it as an administrator.
Reply Quote
Same problem with 434gb Free and Run as administrator without any notable antivirus programs.
(If you dont have enough space it tells you that in a different error msg, which was the first problem I had so i moved it off my SSD. )
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Are you installing on a A: or B: drive, rather than the C: drive?
Reply Quote
C: drive.
Reply Quote
An A: drive for me
Reply Quote
Ok, Had the same problem and I fixed. I had starcraft installed then I re installed my os. Thus saving all of my old info into and old windows file.

I re installed starcraft into my new os and this problem came up. So i went into the old windows file and found my old copy of starcraft and it worked fine and is currently optimizing. Hope this helps any of you.
Reply Quote
I'm having the same problem. I have SCII installed on my b: drive and it won't let me select another folder.
Reply Quote
Do you happen to have another copy installed on a different HD?

Have you Re installed you operating system while have starcraft installed?
Reply Quote
Same issue, installed on B:.

Admiral -> nope.
Reply Quote
One other option, Not sure if it will work but Diablo3 is like this. Certain files just wont install to a Hard Drive with certain letters Like A: or C: Try changing that.... Mines installed in F:

Just a guess
Reply Quote
I am also having this issue, here is my original post:
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/6231583475

My installation is on the B: drive.
Reply Quote
No new developments on this???? I refuse to believe I have to re-install my OS for this, that would be ridiculous.
Reply Quote
WHERE IS THE FIX...........
It had the same stupid !@# problem with Diablo 3 Beta, yet that got fixed... ITS YOUR GAME FIX IT BLIZZARD. Every stupid patch I've had to reinstall or start a support ticket and search for hours on Teamliquid or on your website, be it for D3 or SC2.

I have 255 GB free on by B:/ Drive, and have 15.8 on my C:/ Drive, and I have 578 GB free on my D:/ drive... I have tried installing on each of these and get your same stupid problem.
Edited by bayside on 7/31/2012 2:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Im having the same problem, the game was updating fine, i got to 100% then a box comes up that says. "Your installation of StarcCraft II must be optimized befor you can play. This process takes 15-60 minutes and should not be canceled once it begins. Do you wish to proceed?"
I press Begin and then this message comes us "The folder you selected cannot be used. Please select a different folder." I never even got to select a folder?
Reply Quote
Exactly! There's no "select folder" option and it doesn't even indicate which folder doesn't work!
Reply Quote
Im having the same problem, the game was updating fine, i got to 100% then a box comes up that says. "Your installation of StarcCraft II must be optimized befor you can play. This process takes 15-60 minutes and should not be canceled once it begins. Do you wish to proceed?"
I press Begin and then this message comes us "The folder you selected cannot be used. Please select a different folder." I never even got to select a folder?

This. All antivirus disabled. Running in admin mode.

Confirming all of this including not seeing any opportunity or having a chance of 'selecting a location'.
Edited by Sassymcgee on 7/31/2012 2:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Starcraft 2 is installed in my B: drive, so I encountered the same issue. I mounted my B: drive into a folder on my C: drive (you can use any drive that isn't A or B), this is how. It doesn't require that you re-install anything.
1. Right click on Computer in the start menu, and click manage or search for computer management in the search bar.
2. Click Disk Management under Storage.
3. Right click the B: drive and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths"
4. Hit "Add"
5. Under where it says "Mount in the following empty NTFS folder," hit Browse.
6. Mount it in a folder under drive C:, I created a folder there called Gaming, and mounted it there.
7. Start Starcraft 2 by navigating through your C: drive, through the folder in which you mounted the previous drive (B: in my case).
8. Find your Starcraft 2 installation and start it up!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]