StarCraft® II

The 10.5.8'ers

StarCraft II is no longer playable for us 10.5.8 folk. Technology changes, OS advances, blah blah blah, I get it. Here's what I don't get.

A game I played perfectly fine for the past couple years is no longer playable, period. It's one thing to not have the system requirements before I get a game. That's my bad. It's a completely different thing to have system requirements and then told you don't after owning and playing the game. That's your bad. One day I woke up and something I paid for is gone. Where did my money go?

I should at least be allowed to play an "out of date" version of the game off-line, on my own, without new patches, with my own free will. What did I pay for? Where did my money go?

I understand I can upgrade for $30, but I shouldn't have to. To play off-line? By myself? Throw us a bone.

You literally took the game away from me.
Reply Quote
Exactly, like I said in my post, I don't think game companies are allowed to do this.
+1
Reply Quote
I agree 100%.
Reply Quote
This is the new Blizzard, the same company that released D3, real money auction house, error 37 or w/e it was, etc. They also released Cataclysm, which with patches has half as much raid content as the previous expansion, and left players with the same content (Dragonsoul) for what's going to be nearly a year before asking you to pay again for new content. Are you really that surprised? Every decision revolves around the all mighty dollar, the 1.5.8'ers aren't worth it basically. So what if it's not the ethically "right" thing to do, they stopped caring a long time ago.
Reply Quote

I should at least be allowed to play an "out of date" version of the game off-line, on my own, without new patches, with my own free will.

I would at least enjoy this, because I did this with broodwar and I made my own memories.
Reply Quote
For mac users with the new patch it will only work with 10.6.8 or better anything less and your out of luck. This is the old bait and switch. The game was advertised to work with a minimum requirement os. Now that requirement has changed at the whim of the product producers. They have no legal disclaimer to protect them from what was stated on the box. They have to honor there agreement with the customer at the time of purchase. This is a clear cut case of fraud and a class action suit should ensue. For the time being just ask for a refund, that's what i did. As for starcraft if you like upgrade your os and continue to play. But be warned when a company gets in the habit of forcing things onto there customers that are not in the contract it's hard to stop. Next month you may have to upgrade your graphics card to meet there requirements. So my advice is to get out now and maybe leave with a little coin in your pocket. The most probable out come is they will not issue a refund but ask for one anyway. This way when the lawsuit is won you will receive compensation for the purchase price of the game.

Sincerely: A NYC corporate lawyer

P.S. You must ask for a refund if you expect to be compensated . On the other hand this
does not bar you from upgrading to a new os and continuing to play starcraft. Get paid
and continue to play starcraft got to love it.
Reply Quote
I do believe that the game does state that the system requirements can change at any time and you agreed to that when you first installed the game.

I think the real question should be: Why are you still on Leopard? Unless you have a PPC Mac, there is no good reason to still be on that dinosaur for your main computer.
Edited by Icy on 8/1/2012 7:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
08/01/2012 07:06 PMPosted by Icy
I do believe that the game does state that the system requirements can change at any time and you agreed to that when you first installed the game.

I have thought about that but have yet to read through the terms and conditions to see if that is the case. I hope someone can bring light to this. Even if that's true, sure, shame on me for agreeing, but still shame on them for inventing such a cut-throat policy. This is the point I'm raising. I am not asking for anything unreasonable here.

08/01/2012 07:06 PMPosted by Icy
I think the real question should be: Why are you still on Leopard? Unless you have a PPC Mac, there is no good reason to still be on that dinosaur for your main computer.

This is far from the real question. There are many elements governing what type of computer and OS I use, and none of them revolve around StarCraft. For you or a game company to use the rationale of, "Well in my opinion, no body should even be using this." is a relative and faulty reason to base decisions on. Some of us use what we use for reasons beyond our control. Ultimately that's our business.
Reply Quote
08/01/2012 07:34 PMPosted by McKindzey

I have thought about that but have yet to read through the terms and conditions to see if that is the case. I hope someone can bring light to this. Even if that's true, sure, shame on me for agreeing, but still shame on them for inventing such a cut-throat policy. This is the point I'm raising. I am not asking for anything unreasonable here.

This is far from the real question. There are many elements governing what type of computer and OS I use, and none of them revolve around StarCraft. For you or a game company to use the rationale of, "Well in my opinion, no body should even be using this." is a relative and faulty reason to base decisions on. Some of us use what we use for reasons beyond our control. Ultimately that's our business.

Well the fact of the matter is that Blizzard wants to use new technology that simply doesn't exist in OS X 10.5 and they don't want to spend the resources to implement a "solution" for 10.5 that uses older technology. The number of users still on 10.5 is so low that it doesn't make financial sense for Blizzard to support it.

Yes, it is your business that you are still running 10.5 and you have every right to continue to do so. Just like Blizzard has every right to stop supporting it and they've given people plenty of notice that they would be doing so.

I bet we're going to see a bunch of 10.5 whiners when Blizzard releases WoW: MoP, since WoW won't run on 10.5 once it's released either.
Reply Quote
Icy, you're killing me over here Smalls. You seem to be absolutely oblivious to the point I'm raising. Please go read my original post and then yours.

08/01/2012 02:27 PMPosted by McKindzey
StarCraft II is no longer playable for us 10.5.8 folk. Technology changes, OS advances, blah blah blah, I get it.

^This acknowledges and counters all this V

Well the fact of the matter is that Blizzard wants to use new technology that simply doesn't exist in OS X 10.5 and they don't want to spend the resources to implement a "solution" for 10.5 that uses older technology. The number of users still on 10.5 is so low that it doesn't make financial sense for Blizzard to support it.

Yes, it is your business that you are still running 10.5 and you have every right to continue to do so. Just like Blizzard has every right to stop supporting it and they've given people plenty of notice that they would be doing so.

And none of this...

they don't want to spend the resources to implement a "solution" for 10.5 that uses older technology. The number of users still on 10.5 is so low that it doesn't make financial sense for Blizzard to support it.

...Blizzard has every right to stop supporting it and they've given people plenty of notice that they would be doing so.

...answers any of this...

I should at least be allowed to play an "out of date" version of the game off-line, on my own, without new patches, with my own free will. What did I pay for? Where did my money go?

I understand I can upgrade for $30, but I shouldn't have to. To play off-line? By myself? Throw us a bone.

See how that works bro-man?
Edited by McKindzey on 8/1/2012 9:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The way they created the game doesn't allow you to play an out of date version of the game.

What you could do is not patch the game and every time you want to play, just disconnect from the internet and play in offline mode. Bam, issue solved.
Reply Quote
I agree with Mckindzey and Sisyphus. I spent good money on this game...

I realize there is likely some fine print somewhere that says they can do this. I don't like to read fine print.

This game has played great for quite some time on 10.5.8. Then it is literally taken away. The OS upgrades are not easy to get, are expensive, and, likely, they will create another update soon that will go beyond the means of my so-called out-dated comp.

I sent a "ticket" to support, asking/suggesting that they either:

1. Revert back

2. Create 2 versions of starcraft 2, the old and the "updated" 1.5. If you wish to update then it's your choice. many other games do this when they update (i.e. cod 4).

3. THE MOST OBVIOUS CHOICE. Every 3 - 5 years (instead of a decade or so) create an altogether fancy new starcraft that people have to buy with fancy new systems. seems you'd make a lot more money (and its what a number of gaming companies do, i.e. COD).

It is unreasonable to make people buy whole new computers just cause you update a game (that I already bought to play on my old one).

I realize they won't do this, so I asked for my money back, as Sisyphus recommended.
Reply Quote
I agree with Mckindzey and Sisyphus. I spent good money on this game...

I realize there is likely some fine print somewhere that says they can do this. I don't like to read fine print.

This game has played great for quite some time on 10.5.8. Then it is literally taken away. The OS upgrades are not easy to get, are expensive, and, likely, they will create another update soon that will go beyond the means of my so-called out-dated comp.

I sent a "ticket" to support, asking/suggesting that they either:

1. Revert back

2. Create 2 versions of starcraft 2, the old and the "updated" 1.5. If you wish to update then it's your choice. many other games do this when they update (i.e. cod 4).

3. THE MOST OBVIOUS CHOICE. Every 3 - 5 years (instead of a decade or so) create an altogether fancy new starcraft that people have to buy with fancy new systems. seems you'd make a lot more money (and its what a number of gaming companies do, i.e. COD).

It is unreasonable to make people buy whole new computers just cause you update a game (that I already bought to play on my old one).

I realize they won't do this, so I asked for my money back, as Sisyphus recommended.

Just call Apple and you can buy Snow Leopard (10.6) from them.

or you can play Starcraft 2 through Boot Camp.
Edited by Icy on 8/1/2012 10:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
You just don't get it. They are not legally able to force you to change your os to suit there needs. Nothing in the end user license agreement states you must upgrade your os to meet the changed game requirements. Patches and upgrades but within the parameters of the minimum requirements of the os. If tomorrow they wanted to do another patch that required another upgrade in the os by your standards they could. Who pays for the new os, you do. I don't know about you but I paid my money to play this game had no idea there was a hidden tax. This is not a tech issue but a legal issue. By the way I run 10.6.3 just under the new minimum requirement. I purchased the game when it was still running under 10.5. Therefor I should still be able to play. Tomorrow I could go out and buy the latest and best system and continue to play. But who's to say the next day they issue another patch that renders that system obsolete. Do you see what I'm getting at. In my industry this is called a bait and switch. Blizzard already has several class action lawsuits against it and this should just be another. They have soooo much money that it does not really matter to them. All I'm doing is trying to get back a little for those affected by poor business ethics.
Reply Quote
08/01/2012 10:09 PMPosted by Sisyphus
You just don't get it. They are not legally able to force you to change your os to suit there needs. Nothing in the end user license agreement states you must upgrade your os to meet the changed game requirements. Patches and upgrades but within the parameters of the minimum requirements of the os. If tomorrow they wanted to do another patch that required another upgrade in the os by your standards they could. Who pays for the new os, you do. I don't know about you but I paid my money to play this game had no idea there was a hidden tax. This is not a tech issue but a legal issue. By the way I run 10.6.3 just under the new minimum requirement. I purchased the game when it was still running under 10.5. Therefor I should still be able to play. Tomorrow I could go out and buy the latest and best system and continue to play. But who's to say the next day they issue another patch that renders that system obsolete. Do you see what I'm getting at. In my industry this is called a bait and switch. Blizzard already has several class action lawsuits against it and this should just be another. They have soooo much money that it does not really matter to them. All I'm doing is trying to get back a little for those affected by poor business ethics.

Note: Due to potential programming changes, the Minimum System Requirements for this game may change over time.

I'm still baffled that you continue to claim you're a lawyer. It's quite obvious you're lying.
Edited by Icy on 8/1/2012 10:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
08/01/2012 09:50 PMPosted by Icy
The way they created the game doesn't allow you to play an out of date version of the game.

Bingo! Welcome aboard, I'm glad you could make it here man. We're on the same page.

08/01/2012 09:50 PMPosted by Icy
What you could do is not patch the game and every time you want to play, just disconnect from the internet and play in offline mode. Bam, issue solved.

Pardon my meme reference, but, one does not simply "skip" the patching process. When one of us attempts to launch SC2 the patch updater appears, does nothing for 15 seconds, and then the application quits on it's own with no error message.

I don't think you fully comprehend what we're going through. We cannot play SC2. We cannot even launch SC2. Let me make it clear: This is not a cry of, "I'm complaining because my computer can't get the new update". No, this is, "I cannot even see, play, touch, look at, anything, nothing, having to do with my SC2. What I once had is gone from me." You know that StarCraft II box you bought off the shelf? Remember doing that? Well it doesn't exist anymore. And you didn't even do anything.

Do you understand the impact of that?
Edited by McKindzey on 8/1/2012 11:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Bingo! Welcome aboard, I'm glad you could make it here man. We're on the same page.

Pardon my meme reference, but, one does not simply "skip" the patching process. When one of us attempts to launch SC2 the patch updater appears, does nothing for 15 seconds, and then the application quits on it's own with no error message.

I don't think you fully comprehend what we're going through. We cannot play SC2. We cannot even launch SC2. Let me make it clear: This is not a cry of, "I'm complaining because my computer can't get the new update". No, this is, "I cannot even see, play, touch, look at, anything, nothing, having to do with my SC2. What I once had is gone from me." You know that StarCraft II box you bought off the shelf? Remember doing that? Well it doesn't exist anymore. And you didn't even do anything.

Well, if you downloaded any of the recent patches then it makes sense why it's not working. The game should run if you delete the updater files in the SCII directory and then disconnect your internet and start the launcher. Assuming you are still on the previous version.

...or you know...you could just spend the $30 and get Snow Leopard...just saying.
Edited by Icy on 8/2/2012 12:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
08/02/2012 12:08 AMPosted by Icy

Well, if you downloaded any of the recent patches then it makes sense why it's not working. The game should run if you delete the updater files in the SCII directory and then disconnect your internet and start the launcher. Assuming you are still on the previous version.

...or you know...you could just spend the $30 and get Snow Leopard...just saying.

Leaving the issue of what the box told us the minimum requirements were for a second...

Mac users that are running 10.5.8 might not be able to just "get snow leopard" because the physical hardware of their machine probably won't be able to run with that OS's requirements..

I have a late 2009 MB and when I checked the supported systems for Mountain Lion my year for macbooks was one of the LAST ONES that could support this update. So you know what happens when OSX Bearcat comes around? My whole computer will be out of date, and stuck with Mountain Lion until all games are phased out and no longer receive support, or until I buy a whole new computer.

...does that sound familiar to this situation we have here?
Reply Quote
Leaving the issue of what the box told us the minimum requirements were for a second...

Mac users that are running 10.5.8 might not be able to just "get snow leopard" because the physical hardware of their machine probably won't be able to run with that OS's requirements..

I have a late 2009 MB and when I checked the supported systems for Mountain Lion my year for macbooks was one of the LAST ONES that could support this update. So you know what happens when OSX Bearcat comes around? My whole computer will be out of date, and stuck with Mountain Lion until all games are phased out and no longer receive support, or until I buy a whole new computer.

...does that sound familiar to this situation we have here?

That's just the technology industry. It's the way things work. Because we are advancing /so fast/, we are also making technology from three years ago irrelevant that much faster. Yes, you will eventually have to update your computer to play Starcraft 2. But you will also need to update your computer eventually anyway to get access to all the new gadgets and gizmos (e.g. Sandy Bridge processors). You replace your car when it gets old and junky, and you need to replace your computer when it gets old, junky, and irrelevant.

Your MacBook lasted four years (three years plus the lifespan of Mountain Lion), which is impressive because lower-spectrum devices tend to become irrelevant faster (I get it though, so many people don't have the absurd volumes of cash on hand to buy a MBP). But yes, she will have to retire eventually. It sucks. It really does. Not much we can do about it except tell our engineers to stop being so good at what they do.

But on the other hand, new computer! Yaaaay!

Edit: I would also like to note that stretching a PPC or early intel Mac is immensely impressive, but it also means that you should really get a new computer. No one drives their Ford Pinto still, either.

<3
Edited by TunaPirate on 8/2/2012 8:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Well, if you downloaded any of the recent patches then it makes sense why it's not working.

I did not download any of the recent patches. How could I even do that? This whole discussion is about how we're not compatible. As I said, the updater quits before anything happens. Again, please read what I've previously stated.

...one does not simply "skip" the patching process. When one of us attempts to launch SC2 the patch updater appears, does nothing for 15 seconds, and then the application quits on it's own with no error message.

No, I can't just, you know, go pay $30 for Snow Leopard because my current Mac is not compatible to run it. I am not in the position to go out and spend four digits worth of money on a new machine...just saying. I shouldn't have to go out and do that to play a game I was playing just fine last week. Wouldn't you concur?

You're striking out man. You speak as if this whole matter is an easy fix. The solution is not $30, or disconnecting myself from the internet. You need to come to terms with the reality of ridiculousness that exists here.
Edited by McKindzey on 8/2/2012 10:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]