StarCraft® II

The 10.5.8'ers

Icy must work for the tech industry. He is so willing to spend your money.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
08/02/2012 06:15 AMPosted by Reedy
Mac users that are running 10.5.8 might not be able to just "get snow leopard" because the physical hardware of their machine probably won't be able to run with that OS's requirements..

that's garbage and false. 10.6.8 had no requirements other then an intel mac. SC2 does NOT support any PPC hardware. in fact, i can tell you with absolute certainty that EVERY mac that could run SC2 at launch, can run 10.6.8. My 2006 macbook pro first generation 1,1 32 bit intel mac has 10.6.8 on it. I assure you, there is nothing preventing an upgrade for ANYONE other then the person themself. also just because it's not on online store doesn't mean you can't still get 10.6.8 either. a blue post confirmed that they talked with apple directly and you can get 10.6.8 for a measly 29 dollars by calling them directly.

The requirements being changed are do to programing changes and not for any other reason. sc2 patch 1.5.0 had a lot of systems changes and improvements that require 10.6.8+ period. 10.5.8 is just too old. Developers cannot support something that gets NO updates, bugfixes, drivers, nothing 3+ years passed it's end of support date. That's just unreasonable. No company in industry would do that. if you find another game that still supports 10.5.8, it's because the game is overly simple and doesn't use modern technology. That's not what kind of game sc2 is. most games required 10.6.3+ long ago because of the opengl 3.x extention support added by that update.

You will never catch a windows game trying to support 3 year old video drivers on purpose. heck windows sc2 will complain if your drivers are even older then a year old. the big differene is old windows versions can still update them, old OS X versions can't, an apple upgrade design. MS supports their oses much longer then apple does. However, in contract, apple updates are MUCh cheaper then MS ones, so it's favorable to just stay up to date at low cost.
Edited by Omega on 8/2/2012 4:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
You all still don't get it. We are being forced to upgrade our os. May be I like to run my old os and be hard headed and stupid. But that's my decision not the companies. They have no right to cut a whole group of paying customers out because that's what they want to do. I can find a long list of games that will run on older os's and all stay at that level of os. Some won't even run on a newer system. My suggestion is that when it comes time to upgrade to a greater os other then the agreed upon minimum requirements. It's time to produce a new game. Then I can make the choice to purchase that game and upgrade my system to meet those requirements. All this other stuff about pay $30 and fix this and go there is bunk. This is a question of choice as a consumer. As I see it no one here has any choice and is at the mercy of this company. What if tomorrow they now require a special set of software to run this game. Would you continue to hand over money just to feed your addiction.

If you lose the power of choice you become a slave.

FYI not to knock apple god knows I love there products. Stock up 54% for the year.$30,$30,$30,$30,$30,$30 cha ching. Lets not be naive and believe that one hand does not wash the other.
Reply Quote
Hello!

After an extensive review of the circumstance you have described, we have determined that the StarCraft account does not qualify for a refund. We have a 14 day refund policy, and it looks like you purchased the game in 2010.

Just about what I expected. The game should come with an expiration date. lol
Reply Quote
Why is that the "real question?" You are derailing the thread.
Reply Quote
that's garbage and false. 10.6.8 had no requirements other then an intel mac. SC2 does NOT support any PPC hardware. in fact, i can tell you with absolute certainty that EVERY mac that could run SC2 at launch, can run 10.6.8. My 2006 macbook pro first generation 1,1 32 bit intel mac has 10.6.8 on it. I assure you, there is nothing preventing an upgrade for ANYONE other then the person themself. also just because it's not on online store doesn't mean you can't still get 10.6.8 either. a blue post confirmed that they talked with apple directly and you can get 10.6.8 for a measly 29 dollars by calling them directly.

The requirements being changed are do to programing changes and not for any other reason. sc2 patch 1.5.0 had a lot of systems changes and improvements that require 10.6.8+ period. 10.5.8 is just too old. Developers cannot support something that gets NO updates, bugfixes, drivers, nothing 3+ years passed it's end of support date. That's just unreasonable. No company in industry would do that. if you find another game that still supports 10.5.8, it's because the game is overly simple and doesn't use modern technology. That's not what kind of game sc2 is. most games required 10.6.3+ long ago because of the opengl 3.x extention support added by that update.

You will never catch a windows game trying to support 3 year old video drivers on purpose. heck windows sc2 will complain if your drivers are even older then a year old. the big differene is old windows versions can still update them, old OS X versions can't, an apple upgrade design. MS supports their oses much longer then apple does. However, in contract, apple updates are MUCh cheaper then MS ones, so it's favorable to just stay up to date at low cost.

This is probably the first useful post in this thread. I run an early '06 mac machine as well, not compatible with much of anything now days, but barely compatible with SL now that I've researched it, so thanks for that. Although, the disk space required will take up on my already heavily burdened machine and will cut things close.

At any rate, I feel my original question is not satisfied. Previous developments from Blizzard, and nearly any company, allow you to at least continue to interact with whatever obsolete version you have, be it off-line play.

I'm not here complaining that my computer can't download the new patch, I get and agree with that. I'm questioning why is something that worked just fine stripped away when it hasn't even changed at all? You may think, "It has changed, a new patch is out.", but not so. I have not physically patched nor upgraded my SC2. I wont let me even if I wanted to. I do not own the 1.5 patch, and even so I'm not permitted to launch any version, section, or portion of my SC2 anymore. Nothing on my end has changed yet I am excluded.

If the SC2 wagon is going to roll on without me, fine. But why are you taking what I own with you? Why can't you leave it here?
Reply Quote
Just play SC2 on Windows through Boot Camp then if you absolutely refuse to "update" to Snow Leopard.
Reply Quote
Bootcamp requires an OS update for some of us as well...

sisyphus is absolutely correct. This is an issue of contract, and it's important for consumers to stamp their feet down so the rug doesn't get pulled out from under them.

Omega's got this one entirely backward. Yes, it's reasonable that for Blizzard to move forward they will adapt to the later technology at the expense of the old. I don't expect to play Starcraft II on the computer I first played Starcraft 1 on (a pentium 120 mhz with windows 95...)

But I do expect Starcraft 1 to still work on that computer. And it did the whole time I had it. And it still would.

Blizzard can easily mitigate this problem by not having these awful constant internet requirements, then they could say it's a bnet only upgrade, and a patch to go with it. The rest of us could stay with single player and tcp/ip or lan games, something i still do all the time with other games. Or with Starcraft II a few days ago, connecting unnecessarily to the internet to play with someone 6 feet away...

I was going to have another friend buy the game to play with me but there's no point now.

Anyway, restrictions on how to play + auto patching + system requirement changes = breaking contract, and being unethical.

Want to keep up with tech? Make them game open for single player and LAN, with back patches available. Want to keep it closed? Keep the requirements at launch level. Pretty simple.
Reply Quote
08/03/2012 12:17 AMPosted by Icy
Just play SC2 on Windows through Boot Camp then if you absolutely refuse to "update" to Snow Leopard.

I do not refuse to update anything out of choice. When have I said that?

Instead, I'm bringing up a point which you continue to ignore. A point Hygro hit on.

I can't get bootcamp. The required load surpasses what my machine is currently capable of.

Icy, why don't you just leave this thread? Your efforts to blame me for a lack of a solution have been pretty worthless and you're not contributing anything to what this topic is about.
Edited by McKindzey on 8/3/2012 12:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Man, you are one of the few people mckindsey that actually has a brain about this. It's not the fact that they changed the multiplayer; theyre allowed to do that, it's their servers. It's the fact that the game we bought and paid for is completely gone and we have nothing left of it. I heard of a case where somebody who got banned from a game for posting on forums was unable to play the single player. He sued the company and won. This case is quite similar to Blizzard's. They made a big mistake by not backing up support of offline and instead continuing their gimmick of making every single part of the game online and internet connection required.
Edited by AoFShadow on 8/3/2012 5:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The issue is more that Arcade didn't make enough changes to warrant 10.5.8 no longer functioning. This was done in preparation for HoTS, but, HoTS isn't out yet.

AoF, your information is completely inaccurate. That never went to court, let alone a verdict.
Edited by Ramenth on 8/3/2012 7:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I understand all of you fellas' shagrin, but at the same time, really, maybe it's time to buck up and just get a new computer?

I have to admit it's a hard sell...I had a G4 iBook for almost 9 years and had to replace it a few years ago with the MBP I'm on now. It sucked watching software get better and better and my computer getting older and older, but that's the nature of technology. I had to stop playing games that I had played for years because the OS' got better and better, and then finally I fried out my motherboard running cir. 2010 software on a product made in 2003.

It's almost unfortunate that Apple's products last so long. Well, it is in the sense that software outruns the hardware over time.

I'm just miffed that they botched the control click command. Now THAT was bone headed.
Reply Quote
Hi, my OS is 10.5.8 and I can't download the patch. It says my hardware is out of date.

Now I was able to play this game for a year now and I suddenly can't, so I go online to see I need to update my OS, now I can't seem to find a free version that I require to play the game I paid for and have been playing for a year.

Does Blizzard send me a check in the mail so I can continue playing the game I payed for? I understand it is online only so I have dished out my money for internet access so I can play, but I am running low on $ to continue to play my single player game. Any updates on that check for me would be great. Thanks

-Unsatisfied customer
Reply Quote
I agree with McKindzey, I bought the game with the game requirements, and yes there may be changes with the minimum requirements, but we should be able to play offline. I also play XBOX Live and there's always updates and I didn't have to buy a new console or purchase a new version of anything to just play on my xbox. I understand where icy is coming from, but the minimum requirement should not change the offline campaign. it should only change the online multi player. And I know apple does update there OS and eventually not longer supports there older OS, BUT things still work, and there is an option if you want to upgrade to 10.5 or 10.6 etc, because I know when you upgrade some of you devices or other applications may not work. What Im getting at is that Apple gives you an option to upgrade or stay at the OS your running, and basically everything still works fine if you stay at the old OS. I don't know why Blizzard has to upgrade and take the WHOLE game away, maybe Apple should upgrade the whole OS and not give you a heads up, and take your whole computer away........its just a stupid move on blizzards end. Oh and I have never had issues with my Mac and any other Application including starcraft until this new thing where blizzard does not support 10.5.8.....and by the way icy I have Intel.......and MOST people that have 10.5.8 have intel trust me, I use to work for Apple and will stand by their products. People with PPC know that the hardware is soon to be out of date, but still shouldn't take the entire game away.....just the bonus features like multi player......
Reply Quote
Oh and Im talking to tech support with blizzard they said that there should be a way to play still, and they are figuring it out, i took a screen shot and sent my system profiler etc. So if there is a way to play OFFLINE, then I will post it. If not, Blizzard has lost a paying customer, because of there stupidity...forcing me to pay $30 LOL.....then minimum requirements might change next year and 10.6 will no longer be supported......how stupid
Reply Quote

I do not refuse to update anything out of choice. When have I said that?

Instead, I'm bringing up a point which you continue to ignore. A point Hygro hit on.

I can't get bootcamp. The required load surpasses what my machine is currently capable of.

Icy, why don't you just leave this thread? Your efforts to blame me for a lack of a solution have been pretty worthless and you're not contributing anything to what this topic is about.

No it doesn't. If you have Leopard, you can install Windows XP through Boot Camp and run SC2 just fine. The "required load" of XP is far less than Leopard.

My point with these posts is that Blizzard has every right to change their minimum requirements for their game. Even going as far as to make an earlier OS obsolete.
Edited by Icy on 8/4/2012 11:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Once again Icy........you make a suggestion that where you have to buy something, majority of Apple users have Mac OS, and stay away from Windows. So if they get the Windows OS, then still need to purchase the Windows OS...........of course the Mac comes with Boot Camp, but you have to purchase it.....man your solutions are just all lame.........and I agree Blizzard has ever right to change the minimum requirement, but we should have the right also to play offline........................and have the people that can't update keep the patch/computer/os they have and keep playing offline......seems fair.....
Reply Quote
Still have to purchase Windows*
Reply Quote
08/04/2012 11:41 AMPosted by Icy
No it doesn't. If you have Leopard, you can install Windows XP through Boot Camp and run SC2 just fine.

Yes. It does.

Boot camp requires at least 16 GB of free disk space, which my computer, after years of work, does not have available. It is not an option for me.

Even if it was, this is besides the point. You continue to miss mark of this discussion.

08/04/2012 11:41 AMPosted by Icy
My point with these posts is that Blizzard has every right to change their minimum requirements for their game. Even going as far as to make an earlier OS obsolete.

Again, your assertions are hollow. Where am I arguing this?

08/01/2012 02:27 PMPosted by McKindzey
Technology changes, OS advances, blah blah blah, I get it. Here's what I don't get.

I'm not here complaining that my computer can't download the new patch, I get and agree with that. I'm questioning why is something that worked just fine stripped away when it hasn't even changed at all? You may think, "It has changed, a new patch is out.", but not so. I have not physically patched nor upgraded my SC2. I wont let me even if I wanted to. I do not own the 1.5 patch, and even so I'm not permitted to launch any version, section, or portion of my SC2 anymore. Nothing on my end has changed yet I am excluded.

If the SC2 wagon is going to roll on without me, fine. But why are you taking what I own with you? Why can't you leave it here?

Blizzard has the right to patch it anyway they want. I'm questioning why they're doing it the way they are when a more rational route (exemplified by other games) would be to allow us to keep what we have? Why can't we keep that which has been proven to work for 2 solid years?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]