StarCraft® II

Starcraft 2 optimization

(Locked)

Hello.

recently decided to play some starcraft 2 again, and upon launching, I'm taken to a "Starcraft 2 optimization" to improve performance and reduce install on my hard drive. trouble is it never goes anywhere, stays at 0% and I cant play.

Any tips, or a way to fix this so I can play again?
Support Forum Agent
Hi nrgturtle!

Can you post your system specs to help us out?

Obtaining System Information
    1. Hold the 'Option' Key and choose System Profiler/Information from the Apple Menu.

2. Copy the information from the following sections:
  • Hardware (remove the Serial Number line)
  • Graphics/Displays
  • Software (remove the Computer Name and User Name lines)

Also, do you know if you have any security applications running on your Mac?
Edited by Machkhan on 8/5/2012 9:22 AM PDT
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP55.00AC.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.47f2

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCI
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0863
Revision ID: 0x00b1
ROM Revision: 3427

System Version: OS X 10.8 (12A269)
Kernel Version: Darwin 12.0.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled

I typically disable security features that could affect my ability to download and update these types of things during that process. Its actually moved from 0 now, but stuck at 16% for some time.
Same Problem, no security application.
Whats funny is that i have same problem as him when i manually launch sc2-x.x.x.x-1.5.0.22342-enUS-Downloader.app,
and normally launching by clicking 'StarCraft II' says internal error has occurred.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MBP61.0057.B0C
SMC Version (system): 1.58f16
Hardware UUID: 62BE3015-3C0D-58F7-878E-EB220AAFEAA1
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0a29
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3560
gMux Version: 1.9.21
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1440 x 900
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.4 (11E53)
Kernel Version: Darwin 11.4.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes
Time since boot: 5:26
Edited by Siri on 8/5/2012 9:43 AM PDT
Support Forum Agent
Try some of these troubleshooting steps and let me know if it helps.

Repair Permissions via Disk Utility
    1. Navigate to /Applications/Utilities/ and open Disk Utility.
    2. Select the hard drive the game is installed on.
    3. Select the First Aid option.
    4. Click on the Repair Disk Permissions button.

Resetting permissions on the Starcraft II folder
    1. Select the Starcraft II folder
    2. Press Command + I
    3. In the Info box, go to the Sharing & Permissions section and click on the lock and unlock it, entering your admin password when prompted.
    4. Make sure you have Read & Write permissions
    5. Click on the Action button (cog wheel) and select Apply to enclosed items

And it might be best to repair your disk as well.

Repair Disk via Safe Boot
    1. Be sure your Mac is shut down.
    2. Press the power button.
    3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
    4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress bar (in 10.5, it looks like a spinning gear).
    5. After you get to the User Account Login screen, choose Restart to bring up the the Mac in normal mode.
Edited by Machkhan on 8/5/2012 9:50 AM PDT
Try some of these troubleshooting steps and let me know if it helps.

Repair Permissions via Disk Utility
    1. Navigate to /Applications/Utilities/ and open Disk Utility.
    2. Select the hard drive the game is installed on.
    3. Select the First Aid option.
    4. Click on the Repair Disk Permissions button.

Resetting permissions on the Starcraft II folder
    1. Select the Starcraft II folder
    2. Press Command + I
    3. In the Info box, go to the Sharing & Permissions section and click on the lock and unlock it, entering your admin password when prompted.
    4. Make sure you have Read & Write permissions
    5. Click on the Action button (cog wheel) and select Apply to enclosed items

And it might be best to repair your disk as well.

Repair Disk via Safe Boot
    1. Be sure your Mac is shut down.
    2. Press the power button.
    3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
    4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress bar (in 10.5, it looks like a spinning gear).
    5. After you get to the User Account Login screen, choose Restart to bring up the the Mac in normal mode.

for the first step is it current for mountain lion? When I go to applications, then utilities, there are no drives listed there.

I was already set for read and write.

just did the repair disk via safe boot, things appear to be working smoothly now. Thank you for troubleshooting these things with me.
Edited by nrgturtle on 8/5/2012 10:08 AM PDT
done all 3 steps, waiting for my launcher if it makes any progress. currently on 0%.
normally launching 'StarCraft II' still says internal error occurred.

edit: no progress still....
edit 2: im afraid if it will ever go above 0%. I think i will get unable to initialize streaming problem again.
Edited by Siri on 8/5/2012 10:21 AM PDT
Support Forum Agent
Disk Utility should be in there I believe. It is an application. I think there was some reports of DU not working properly with Mountain Lion, but if you run updates, it should be a newer version of DU (ver 13 I think).
Support Forum Agent
done all 3 steps, waiting for my launcher if it makes any progress. currently on 0%.
normally launching 'StarCraft II' still says internal error occurred.

edit: no progress still....
edit 2: im afraid if it will ever go above 0%. I think i will get unable to initialize streaming problem again.

Can you send me your system files? This will help me in troubleshooting.

Obtaining your System Information and system.log
Snow Leopard (10.6) and older versions of OS X
    1. Hold the Option Key and choose System Profiler from the Apple Menu
    2. When the System Profiler is finished gathering its data, click "File" then "Save As..."
    3. Add your name to the filename, and save it to your desktop for easy location. Make sure the file format is "System Profiler 4.0 (XML)"

Lion (10.7)
    1. Hold the Option Key and choose System Information from the Apple Menu
    2. When the System Information is finished gathering its data, click "File" then "Save As..."
    3. Add your name to the filename, and save it to your desktop for easy location.

Obtaining your system.log
    1. Using Finder, Navigate to /Applications/Utilities and open Console
    2. Click system.log on the left side bar.
    3. On the menu bar, click File, and select Save a Copy As. Make sure the file is saved to the desktop for easy location.

Submitting your system files
    1. Open a new email message, and attach the items as an attachment.
    2. Send the email to macsupport@blizzard.com with the subject as "Attn: TonyM". Make sure you include the Thread title and URL address. This way it gets routed to me so I can take a personal look.

Please note: This method is only used for sending information after files are requested for additional review. This is not to be used a a form of contact, as this box is monitored only when files are requested. No replies are sent from here.
i had same problem, but this time i just left it. when it looks like it is stuck at 0%, if you look at your starcraft files, finder says that they have last been modified at the current time, so they are being 'optimized', the progress bar just isnt moving. i just went afk for a bit, came back and there is a progress bar now, at 60%. so just let it do its thing
mine started the 1.44 GB download.. I was Wondering if you can pause the download? because I have limited speed and its going to take a long time. I don't want to have to start from 0% again.
Also.. what happens when the download finishes? will i be able to finally play?
yeah when i finished i was able to play. everything is fine now. i dont think u can pause
"if your find the play experience undesirable you may exit the game and resume this download"

does this mean I can play before it ends?

I use the internet from my cell phone. Its good for playing but not for downloading.. im hoping i can play before downloading the 1.08G (optimal) because its gonna take me like 8 hours to download 1 Gig :(
lol i guess you can risk it, but i wouldnt
Miwo is correct. My Mac wasn't displaying any sort of progress for about 20 minutes. Eventually the meter read about 30% and the download proceeded as normal. I need to cancel my ticket with battlenet support.
I had a similar problem, it was stuck at 0%, then about an 1hr/1.5hr later it started with the patching process. The % never moved but it still ran the optimizer.
Edited by Cheddar on 8/17/2012 11:37 PM PDT
Hey i have the same problem but on my pc. I had it sit for 20mins and hasn't budged from 0% since. Need help!
Support Forum Agent
You will want to post in the PC Tech forums: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/13438/
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]