StarCraft® II

[Showcase] Special Forces Elite 4 (Thread 1)

(Locked)

I wonder why you have not tried to differentiate yourself from Lanzarote. I mean ... the map is THE SAME as the Lanzarote. You have not changed a texture. It seems like you were still "working" for him.
50 wins is easy... i think i have much more than that
50 wins to unlock something in this game is absurd, i takes 2-3 times of just playing to understand how it works
I love the replies, but okay fine, make it at least 25, because there are retards who have their entire match history this game and they don't know about the ace and buffing system, it's a shame. (not entire match history, just a large chunk out of this season and recent games) It's just that some people are retards.

Jason, can you make this game more of a puzzle, so far it's just build a bunker and kill Zerg, same thing over, and over again, it's getting very repetitive. What I mean by a puzzle is that you make the game so you have to figure things out to go to the next stage, but if this is too difficult just increase the game difficulty exponentially.
Edited by Drusus on 11/17/2012 8:33 AM PST
By the way, if your having difficulties with the texturing of the map, I could do that part because I've designed a few custom maps, and I love making terrain. (not to be self centered, but I'm good at texturing, just not the layout of everything, that would need pre-planning)
Edited by Drusus on 11/17/2012 8:29 AM PST
I love the replies, but okay fine, make it at least 25, because there are retards who have their entire match history this game and they don't know about the ace and buffing system, it's a shame. (not entire match history, just a large chunk out of this season and recent games) It's just that some people are retards.

You have to consider the sheer amount of game time required, and what their unlocking, before you decide how many wins are required to unlock it. Also, all this time spent was not spent learning how to use it once they get it.

If your reason for an inflated reward curve are "people are stupid and need more practice", then I think the bigger problem is not practice, but a lack of intuitive mechanics or teaching methods (since 99% of players are to busy "pwning" to teach others who don't know whats up or down)

The problem with leashing this to the purchasable (unlock-able) hero's is that people will never learn that they can use it, when they finally can, since they spent 40+ hours learning that they can't access it and don't bother trying. Suddenly, when they do, there needs to be a major visual indicator of this change, or else they will only realize they can use it by stumbling upon it again. Whole lot of work just to stop new players from exploring things and messing something up in the process.

Also, there are a lot of "newbs" out there that use save file editors. Not tons of them, but they're out there.

I say we should avoid the use of any kind of save file or access code/password/phrase, as that just opens the door for exploitation and bad experiences.

Instead of making the purchase-able hero's (Odin) something you can attain just by afking and then throwing money at it, why not make the hero's time based bonus's for clearing something? Requires some skill/knowledge about the game above entry level.

Jason, can you make this game more of a puzzle, so far it's just build a bunker and kill Zerg, same thing over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, again, it's getting very repetitive. What I mean by a puzzle is that you make the game so you have to figure things out to go to the next stage, but if this is too difficult just increase the game difficulty exponentially.

Random set(from a larger pool, to keep things different) of targets (mobs/buildings/non-killing based objective?) that must be achieved before you can take out something? Or rather, they hinder your progression by making buildings/mobs harder wile they're alive? So that heavy organization can overcome the bonus to make up lost time or increase efficiency.

Things like :
- a giant DoT cloud around a building, goes away if you find the defiler that's roaming around in areas of similar difficulty or slightly higher (requires an incursion into harder area)

- special queen/queens that have a 0.5 second CD heal and rapidly regenerating mana (blind auto pilot dps-ing wont solve the issue unless your way overpowered or use a coordinated burst attack)

- damaging specially colored units/mini-structures close to the target causes them to insta die and spawn mini nydus canals that spawn an extra hard unit every so often.

- roaming(?) mob that has high hp regen and a 60% evasion aura - has low hp, but is difficult for non-caster spec'ed heros

add more later.

(I tend to lean toward enemies that are hard, not because of their sheer HP or armor, but through a mechanic that has ways around. Raw dps is the most popular solution everyone chooses when dealing with something, so a little spice here and there should make them think)
Edited by Intrepid on 11/16/2012 9:24 AM PST
i agree with Intrepid.
Okay, you have a point there, and a valid one, but what I meant is to change the physical appearence of the map and add a new layout, that's all that's nessesary to make this map even better.

I found units with attack animation problems:
-Guardian
-Giant
-Spotter
-Maneuver
I will continue to find more units with attack animation issues.

Units with other problems are: firstly, Maar, when Maar spawns he blinks right away and get's glitched, as in he stays in the same spot, I have no suggestions on how to fix that. Secondly, the general has two models, which are inside one another, just a bug to fix. Lastly, when you remade the Odin, you didn't do the splash damage modifications properly with the fractions, so the Odin does at least 3 times the damage to units around the targeted unit, and this is very OP when battling the 3 kerrigans, because 2 of them die when the first one has 300k hp.

Jason, you should add a new hero(es), preferably a tank hero and an archon hero because those have been suggested from your 'fans' or people who dedicate time to give you suggestions.

The carriers upgrade is glitched when you click on the carrier, it says purchase the upgrade for mini raiths for raven, which was from an older version. Egon Stettman has to be buffed in hp/armour, everything else is good; ARES has uncontrolled flame, in the anit infantry mode and the anti-armour missiles have broken paths.(adjust the arch, and angles) Observers should be upgraded along with protoss upgrades, along with the healing towers and PSI towers. Add more purchasable heroes, for protoss, mainly ground because there are already air heroes. Sometimes the base doesn't attack during the entire game, and most players have the unlocked heroes unlocked, so this issue was not fixed, and I believe only 1 player has the heroes locked. Add more damage to the super spine crawler, decrease damage to spore crawlers, and fix animation(burrowed/un-burrowed) add new ace ability to tank and raven, fix ace scv repairing nothing, add more xp levels, remove ares energy, let created heroes share xp as well (they don't) put text that announces that the 3 boss kerrigans have been popped, something that you can find like every other spawner, there are random holes ans such everywhere, make odin's brightness match other units ace brightness, odin is darker.

I will continue to add suggestions as I play the map, fix terrain
Edited by Drusus on 11/18/2012 5:23 PM PST
I would suggest an Ultralisk hero:

- cannot attack air
- immune to CC, just like normal ultralisk ?
- large cleave
- very slow base attack, high base damage 150
- ram attack against structure (+ massive?) 450 (300 if also against massive) base but becomes single target

Skills

- Blind Charge - a charge attack that stuns in a small aoe around impact and deals spell damage in a line too the target location (12 second CD) 150 energy (if targeting an air unit, it will additionally pull them to the ground for a 5 seconds)

- Metabolic Boost: stacking buff that increases attack speed, move speed, life regen by 3%,2%, and 0.5% per stack (is a mana sink since you will want/need to spam it) lasts 7 seconds, refreshes with each new stack (10 stacks max, no CD) 50 energy

- chitinous armor - passive -Increases health by 30%, decreases damage taken by 30%, and gives 30 bonus armor

- spiked carapace - temporarily returns all damage, lasts 10 seconds (20 (30?) sec CD) 200 energy ( 2nd way to damage air units, she still takes the damage, but so do the attackers)

Hero is very durable, but has little spell damage ( no early-mid game burst damage outside of the odd Blind Charge).

Is tanky from the start with passive armor, life, and damage reduction, but requires an early investment in energy regeneration to sustain self unless building as dps (in which case someone else would be tanking).

Energy drains will make it difficult to sustain Metabolic boost, so mana burning enemies can be very difficult to tank.

Has a hard time killing air units, more so than other melee, as there is no spam-able psylock type skill. A rotation of Blind Charge and Spiked Carapace will get the job done, just no where as fast.

I wanted to separate the attack speed + move speed from the life regen on metabolic boost, but putting them on 2 different skills might detract from fun? Since you will be energy starved to keep both going. Possibly remove attack/move speed from the buff (and not put it anywhere else)? Thoughts anyone?
Edited by Intrepid on 11/17/2012 11:59 AM PST
whatever happens .. protoss needs a good look .. so many terran upgrades but so few toss ones.

lets wait for a reply from jason first cuz the list is getting long and he's disappeared again. all we're doing right now is talking to a wall till he replies.
what about finishing with all the units to unlock something

there should 3 of finishing, holding off the boss for 15 minutes ?

could add achievements
It seems to me that Odin looks like he fired, but nothing comes out because that unit he aimed at is dead. Seems so awkward.
I've come up with a few suggestions that should be implemented to make this game even better.

-slightly buff zerglings and broodlings (damage only)
-remove gremlin damage dodge (already too op)
-nerf gremlins
-add new heroes
-add more XP levels
-add a special buff to every unit that reaches the max XP level (any buff, for example + 100 damage or something)
-allow created heroes to also share XP
-remove ARES energy (pointless)
-remove behavior for broodlings to go to nearest target away from base (just odd behavior)
-add new and more enemies
-make a damage reduction upgrade for all mech units
-add more waves, more frequent
-add more beginner spawners
-make more ultras spawn
-stank doesn't give XP at moment of death
-let Maar, Castanar, and other bosses give ace when killed (not all of them do)
-let healing towers, PSI towers and observers get upgraded with other units as well
-fix animation for spine crawlers and spore crawlers
-buff spine crawlers to do at least 100 damage while big spines do 500
-add more income for 5 and 6 players (very poor)
-buff odin anti air attack
-disallow gremlins to dodge nukes and other spells
-make elixers give +10% hp to all units
-when main kerrigans are popped, everything that can be found should be found at that moment (e.g. hyper capacitor)
-make odin attack at a rate of 1.75 or 1.8 for base attack speed
-buff viking hp and armour slightly
-redo map, redo map, redo map, redo map, I'll keep saying this until you do
-add more abilities for all units, mainly odin, banshee, viking, archon, and colossus (there are plenty more
-buff egon stettman
-make a '-repick- option
-buff marines and marauders
-remove mule cooldown, or make it less
-add more buy-able heroes
-buff all protoss (underpowered compared to terran)
-each bought hero and starting hero should have their own aura of something special
-make ace thors get a different model (still thor, just editor's edition model)
-fix maar glitching in one spot when blinking
-buff all zerg by at least 5% (upping the difficulty)
-stank and gargantuan beasts have odd hp (extra 1000 or so hp)
-buff pyromaster
-add random spawners scattered across the map like nydus worms, but are permanent until killed (these spawn from the start of the game, just very weak units that get stronger as the game progresses)
-make the orbital fortress a born hero, always a hero
-add more colours (brown, grey, etc.)
-make map more realistic (either natural or un-natural, so far its both)
-make ace probe, have a model of a dark probe
-buff shadow walker
-fix colours of shadow walker
-nerf maar damage
-add 1 range to fenix so fenix has the same range as other upgraded immortals
-buff alen chezar anti air attack
-increase festor hp slightly
-fix ares' missiles and flames attack animations
-modify attack rate for artanis, stone zealot and colossus
-buff colossus anti air attack
-buff ace archon
-remove heroes' colours when ace
-make all units with an ace improvement
-add a Tauren space marine for a unit or a hero
-fix Odin barrage stats
-slightly nerf yamato cannon
-improve shield armour for all units
-remove 'the hive is no longer invulnerable' text
-buff roaches
-buff hydra hp
-buff brutaling hp slightly
-increase enemy upgrade rate slightly
-make Nydus worms come more frequently
-add mini Nydus worms (before popping large zergling spawner)
-increase time it takes Nydus to disappear to more than 1 minute
-add special units that if die give other buffs, other than ace
-add wave after maar that spawns giant kerrigan, or two
-fix base not attacking at times
-fix ace scv repairing air animation
-nerf ragnorak nuke
-ragnorak nuke killed terran upgrade lists, make other orbital fortresses invulnerable
-slightly buff brood lord damage
-nerf brood kings slightly
-slightly increase spawn time for everything other than the hive creatures (reaver, destroyer, etc.)
-add a kick button
-fix shredder grenade hotkey
-allow buffs to be able to stack twice when an expensive upgrade is purchased
-allow all main upgrades to come back for the player who purchased very expensive upgrade and these stack (varies among amounts of players)

I hope you can find these of use for I see there are more than I thought there would be, I'd like to see some feedback and a progress update soon Jason! Thanks again! LOL, there's so much!!!
Edited by Drusus on 12/27/2012 9:21 PM PST
Hey Jason,
May i please build off the Map i have been trying to make a Special forces for 5 and a half years, I beg of you
Wow, do you have a life?
Jason, you should really put the max amount of players to 4, the income with 5 and 6 is so poor it's not even funny, you need to pop all the spawners up to the mini zergling chamber before you get even 40k minerals
The game is fun with 6, just needs a little tweak in terms of income. Meanwhile, with 4 or less, the income needs to be reduced a bit.
Part of the challenge with 6 players is management and planning because you have less income. I agree wings, when you play with 4 or less you get enough money to max everything very early and it detracts from the overall difficulty.

Drusus, implement those changes in the copy of the map you published and let us try it out, if it has patch notes/change logs that is. Then you can have you ideas implemented in your own map and you can show Jason what a good idea they are instead of filling up the pages with them. Maybe he will give you an email address or something for smoother communication.

There are two gray colors already.
Edited by Adaephon on 11/21/2012 9:56 AM PST
Anyone who thinks the game is too easy and wants a difficulty system can always try lowering your handicap to 50%. It does make it a bit harder but your damage isn't reduced so range power is still viable.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]