StarCraft® II

[Showcase] Special Forces Elite 4 (Thread 1)

(Locked)

My record still remains with 7:40~ time on Jason's version. I did this with two players, myself and a freind, but unfortunatly I didn't record this. I will try to recreate this, or even beat that.

Im asuming most of you won't believe me, which is completely understandable, I myself would have trouble beleiveing this if someone else got this time, but how I did it took lots of games, almost the entire day of redoing, and redoing and redoing.

I went the Festor, while my ally randomed, he quickly made pheonixes and I made infested captains and the general. While i was defending the map with my hero and my infested captains, my general was out attacking along with my ally. My ally sent ALL the bosses at ONCE to the base, and after that he cleared the entire map, ignoring me at the base. When i killed every boss, then came good old ragnorak. I brought all my units there and kept on fungaling the clump of units as soon as they spawned. Pheonixes made it lag like crazy so that slowed down the time significantly, and every frame ~4 bars were taken off the ragnorak, and that's how we won. Funny enough the base died right after the victory screen from a nydus worm and brutalisks.

You guys can try this out, see if you can beat MY record ;D\

And i just want to say it's been well over a year since this game received some new heroes, and some bigger changes than some bug changes, so it's starting to get quite repetitive, that's why I'm a little frustrated.

It's very easy to verify your time. Just check your match history, find the game, and take a screen shot of the "Win" along with the time.

Anyway, interesting strategy. I think it would work.
Edited by IWinToLose on 2/7/2013 6:46 PM PST
[Replies]
@Drusus – I read the forums frequently; I just don’t respond as often as I could :D. As for the rest of your post I’ll see what I can do. I also hope I can implement these changes A.S.A.P. (see my post below). Before I forget, I should mention that if you see StarJeweled in my play history it’s usually not I that was playing but that’s about all the more I’ll say :D.
@Tidebaron – Agreed.
@Hypera – Agreed. On a side note, with the way things have been going for me lately I should justify taking a break since what I do DO has been making me plenty of money lately (not bragging).
@IWinToLose – You’re awesome .
@Drusus – I do understand that the game can get repetitive. This is why I really should justify allowing myself to take some time off and get some stuff done for fun. My best time with Lanzarote’s existing version is 9:01 solo. My best time with my most recently published version is 5:00 solo (but I may have used my admin powers lol).
@MagicionBB –Agreed.
@Drusus – Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down, never gonna run around and desert you. Never gonna make you cry, never gonna say goodbye, never gonna tell a lie and hurt you…
@IWinToLose – Agreed.

[Post]
I’m coming to the point where I should be able to put a considerable amount of work into the map and get things done. I’ve decided to slow down a bit on my “work” so to speak and open myself up to some free time. This in turn led to me winning a cruise in the month of March which is going to be awesome and various other things. What I’ve done is get together a big powerful laptop though which should allow me to do editing while I’m away and backup to my main server at home conveniently (for security). Since I’m taking some time for myself and slowing things down I’ll start posting here more often (instead of just reading) and I think I’ll add some flavorful stuff in for fun as well.

[Flavor Post]
“The Move Over Law” is a law which has been enacted in most states (currently 49) throughout the United States of America. For today’s Flavor Post I would like to offer awareness to a simple and important law of which some drivers may not be aware. “The law requires drivers, upon noticing either emergency vehicle with sirens or flashing lights, to move away from the vehicle by one lane, or if that is not possible, slow down by 20 mph (32kmh) below the posted speed limit.” This actually includes stationary, a.k.a. not moving, vehicles and the amount of speed reduction required is not always specifically implied in all States. What seems like a simple law is actually held as a (4) Point Ticket when issued in most States and comes with a significant fine. “Now you know and remember: Knowing is half the battle.

[Signature]
Find players who are players you can play with and play your way to victory!
Of course we are interested in your personal life, who said otherwise?.

/facepalm
Something more interesting than personal life: My School Board. In the morning, they say all schools are open, even if there is a snow storm. At 1:00 PM, they tell our principal that schools will be closed at 2:00 PM. I'm like... what the heck! First you tell us to get to school, without offering us any means of transportation in a snowstorm. Then at 1:00 PM, you tell us to go home??? That makes total sense.
WOW, I made a long post, but then when i accidentally went to a new page and so it got deleted, and because im to lazy to retype everything i'm just going to sum it up.

1. Wow your lucky, have fun on your cruise.
2. It's nice you can work on the map more, finally you can make some bigger changes (im hoping)
3. Play sf for yourself with 6 and 4 players to see income differance, and how close to impossible it is to win with 6, and just to look at some bugs, to fix model issues, add more ace buffs and so on.
4. Please add some more heroes now that you have more time, you have to make up for close to two years of the same heroes.
5. Think about adding two of each hero, i would personally LOVE that, since people randomly curse at me, try to kill us by popping fast, if we win they say "I WIN LOOSER, STUPID F***ER." and then randomly block me just for getting the Odin (there are many many many more examples, i just found this one as the most convenient and recent). that's what kind of problems I'm talking about.
6. Please fix up the map textures, and redo the map layout, and also to be much bigger.

Thank you for working on the map!
Edited by Drusus on 2/11/2013 1:09 PM PST
I have no trouble winning with 6 players tbh.

Protoss victory fleet OP.
Infestor is also good.
Edited by IWinToLose on 2/8/2013 3:52 PM PST
This sucks just hand the map over to someone with more time. If you abandoned the map just admit it.
Jason, you need to start a new thread, this one is almost at it's maximum; and come out with a new version with a differant map layout asap, just don't do anything else, because the map layout is SOOO boring, i practically know where every building, ninja, omegalisk, the murder, brutalisks, and more units are. And maybe, while your doing that, can you please make odin starting attack speed at like 1.3, because it's the slowest shooting unit in the game, or make an ace buff (which i suggest) that increases stats, mainly attack speed. And speeking of ace buffs, you should add one to EVERY unit, even starting units and bout heroes. :D Thanks
Jason, I've never posted here before and I don't know if What I'm going to ask is relevant or even possible but I want to submit it for your consideration. I got bogged down in the thread so didn't finish it and you may have already address the issue in the forum at some point and I missed it.

- Is there any way to set an option at game setup for the number of players to enter the lobby? Many of us would like to play with 4 or fewer players sometimes and it would be really nice if we could say what kind of game we're setting up and/or set the number of player if your host. I don't see why players who want a 3 or 4 player game should be forced to play in a 6 player game, and that works the other way too, if I want to play in a 6 player game I shouldn't be forced into a 4 player game just because that's what the host wants.

- I know that this is probably beyond the scope of the game and is probably controlled by the lobby design but maybe the Blizzard designers could do something about this for this kind of game setup. Most games are setup to support a specific teaming strategy (2vs2, etc...) but Special Forces Elite 4 has an open structure that allows a game to be started with any number of players depending on whether you can hit the button quickly enough ;).

I only bring this up because I've seen a lot of players do the rage quit because the game was started without a full lobby or because the lobby had too many players.

Just a thought -- You've done a great job on the game (It's my favorite) so keep up the good work! GLHF
Edited by Gunnman on 2/9/2013 7:55 PM PST
I just got an idea while playing special forces hero, can you make it so you can get infinite upgrades of any category, or the max very high? Because late game enemies become VERY strong.

Something seriously needs to be done about air units, they are very op, just as op as ground units, and yet almost all friendly units have a poor air attack (thors, goliaths...) so that's something that should be taken into consideration. Something seriously messed up is how spores do about 400 damage per hit early game and spines do only 50, keeping in mind, that air units are the weakest, and i just don't understand, why the f*** is anti air so incredibly strong while ground attack, the strongest units, are weakest. Normal spines should do about 150 damage to start and frenzied spines about 500 per hit. Also, you need to fix the spine/spore models, they both stand up on their claws when they are attacking, which is really broken.

And along with what the community asks of you, go to the first page and look at what you said you would do to this map, I'm hoping you will be able to do all those changes now, instead of 1 every two months.

It would be helpful if you could also put an approximation date at which you will be done re-texturing the map as requested earlier in the new update that i'm waiting for... waiting, and waiting, and waiting.....
Edited by Drusus on 2/11/2013 8:08 PM PST
Even with enemies fully maxed out, you should be able to kill them all pretty easily with the right units. What units are you having trouble with?
Edited by sgogeta on 2/12/2013 4:14 PM PST
Maxed out brutas and kerrigans, although it is very rare that a game lasts that long (3.5 hours, barely survived) And sfe starting dying... slowly, it's going down the top ten list, Jason i still support that you pass the map on if you can't do an update every month or so.
Edited by Drusus on 2/12/2013 6:53 PM PST
Dat ragnarok brutality >> What would be the best way of dealing with that terran doomball?
Almost anything can kill him, just mass units, vikings can be distraction because he targets air first, and is weakest at air, while you just attack with regular ground units. Any unit buffed is op, even a marine.
Edited by Drusus on 2/13/2013 1:37 PM PST
[Replies]
@AlmoadiN – Dare mo ki ni shinai. :D /highfive
@SidtheKid – The world is logically illogical after all.
@Drusus – Thank you. Working on a big change, see below post. I do play SFE with 1-6 players and don’t see any real difficulty difference; that’s just my personal perspective though so I appreciate the feedback. Working on stuff though (again see post below). :D
@IWinToLose – All good strategies for sure but don’t overlook my favorites… the Dark Templar.
@GeorgePatton – I’ve not abandoned the map project.
@Drusus – :D
@Gunnam – Thank you for the feedback and support. As for your concern with the lobby options I believe it would be possible for me to do what you’re requesting. It will ultimately come down to the host rules though; the only way around that is by having a person create the game themselves and be the host to control the rules.
@Drusus – I wasn’t aware of the Spore/Spine Crawler model bug but I should be able to fix that. There is also a reason why Spore Crawlers do so much damage but I have been considering upping Spine Crawlers damage. See my post below about the changes I’m planning right now. The upgrades thing would be a bit odd though so I don’t see that happening since the enemies also have an upgrade cap.
@sgogeta – Agreed. I know what units can be and are designed to be much tougher when upgraded too so I’ll leave this topic alone.
@Drusus – Agreed.
@mengsk – My favorite method for handling the Ragnarok involves scythes but that’s all I’ll say.
@Drusus – All alone the Ragnarok is not that dangerous but that’s the point.

[Post]
Right now I’ve got a couple different progress updates on the map which has to deal with redoing the layout. I’ve tested the different versions to the extent I’ve developed them but before I go further I’m going to seek some input. Version 1: The map layout and progress method has changed but the starting base location is still in a corner. Version 2: The map layout and progress method has changed but the starting base location is in the center of the map. Version 3: The map layout and progress method has changed but the starting base location is set to random at map start. **Version 3 is being skipped and may be implemented in the future. I’m leaning more towards the base location being in the center of the map because it really makes things interesting but then again I’m looking for input so yea…

[Flavor Post]
One of my favorite fun facts is if you have 3 quarters, 4 dimes, and 4 pennies, you have $1.19. You also have the largest amount of money in coins without being able to make change for a dollar.

[Signature]
Find players who are players you can play with and play your way to victory!
I think you should make a second version that starts in the middle of the map. There are a lot of people who play this game very consistently and love the current version.

I think you should keep the current version and update it every so often with new heroes, etc.. and make a second version with a different map layout for players to mix things up, but keep the same heroes.

By doing this, you are giving the players options to play the game they love and the heroes they love with 2 maps they can choose from and potentially more maps down the line.

This game is amazing and you are doing a great job with it. Thanks
If/when you make the fortress in the center of the map, still make it so that it is easy to defend, and not so you have 30 bunkers just to block off units from breaking in. In other words have it convenient for defenses, I have no other problems with the base being in the middle of the map otherwise.
02/14/2013 12:52 PMPosted by Drusus
If/when you make the fortress in the center of the map, still make it so that it is easy to defend, and not so you have 30 bunkers just to block off units from breaking in. In other words have it convenient for defenses, I have no other problems with the base being in the middle of the map otherwise.

You can have 3-5 bunkers all fully buffed and heroed with a few marauders fully buffed inside.
[Replies]
@sgogeta – Agreed. I know what units can be and are designed to be much tougher when upgraded too so I’ll leave this topic alone.

[Post]
Right now I’ve got a couple different progress updates on the map which has to deal with redoing the layout. I’ve tested the different versions to the extent I’ve developed them but before I go further I’m going to seek some input. Version 1: The map layout and progress method has changed but the starting base location is still in a corner. Version 2: The map layout and progress method has changed but the starting base location is in the center of the map. Version 3: The map layout and progress method has changed but the starting base location is set to random at map start. **Version 3 is being skipped and may be implemented in the future. I’m leaning more towards the base location being in the center of the map because it really makes things interesting but then again I’m looking for input so yea…

I know what units you like :P They're similar to what units I like, but they also make it boring after a while since they're pretty OP. I like the idea of multiple entrances and having the base in the middle. It would make players (hopefully) work together better and all help a bit with defending a "lane". Also, one of the most helpful 10k you'll spend is making the base a hero asap since it will keep leveling throughout. Still hoping you have some sort of difficulty scaling like L2D (casual, normal, hard, brutal) or something similar to this. As for the bunker, I like to hero it first, then buff. Inside I like having Ace marine for the damage aura/special ability, firebat for splash/grenade, marauder for slow/grenade, medic for healing aura, ghost for range/special abilities, and one blank for my hero or a 2nd ghost. Also, make sure to have a SCV (ace preferably) and a science vessel for repairs.
Edited by sgogeta on 2/14/2013 2:09 PM PST
The map is falling out of the top 10. Jason, could you put a random update up ASAP? How far are you done each of them?
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]